Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: Skill Changes, Part 2 (07/15/21)

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.18a  (Read 612435 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.18a
« Reply #1365 on: May 31, 2021, 06:32:16 PM »

Am I gonna have to fight hordes of BB or their Magellan to find out?

I'm definitely going to have to fight hordes of them aren't I
Nah. The out-of-universe reason is that I think Hardened Shields is too much of a must-have hullmod on tanky ships and doubly so as an s-mod, so I wanted to encourage more cool armor-tanking builds with them.

In-universe reasons are whatever I make up when I'm writing a description, which is usually completely and utterly spurious. I make stuff up to justify the gameplay choices, not the other way around.
People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations.

Arugall

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 31, 2021, 07:32:22 PM »

I can't wait for this mod to get updated. Holding off the next stream until it's done, will be checking this daily. :D

Keep up the amazing work!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 31, 2021, 08:02:49 PM »

I can't wait for this mod to get updated. Holding off the next stream until it's done, will be checking this daily. :D
Oh my god don't do that.

That's like saying you're waiting for someone to fix the car so you can go get groceries, and the engine's out on the shop floor being rebuilt from scratch. The timeline is months, plural, and I offer no guarantees as to timescale there either; I'm effectively respriting most of the mod, doing major mechanical overhauls, and somewhere in there at least starting on some simple repeating missions.

The less people hinge their own plans on whatever I'm doing here, the better I'll feel, really. You can go enjoy my new package of bad ideas over here, when that releases (soon).

I apparently can't stop myself, and I'd call it 'adequate' rather than 'amazing', personally. That's part of the reason I'm hacking away at it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:04:26 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Bub

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1368 on: June 01, 2021, 01:15:29 AM »

Am I gonna have to fight hordes of BB or their Magellan to find out?

I'm definitely going to have to fight hordes of them aren't I
Nah. The out-of-universe reason is that I think Hardened Shields is too much of a must-have hullmod on tanky ships and doubly so as an s-mod, so I wanted to encourage more cool armor-tanking builds with them.

In-universe reasons are whatever I make up when I'm writing a description, which is usually completely and utterly spurious. I make stuff up to justify the gameplay choices, not the other way around.

Oh cool, yeah I like building tanks and I'm always building heavy armor and shields on my ships so this is going to make things way more interesting gonna download it now
Send an AI inspection again hegies, and I swear to ludd I will make the 2nd AI war look like a slapfight

FlameBearer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 01, 2021, 02:35:43 PM »

Oh my god don't do that.

That's like saying you're waiting for someone to fix the car so you can go get groceries, and the engine's out on the shop floor being rebuilt from scratch. The timeline is months, plural, and I offer no guarantees as to timescale there either; I'm effectively respriting most of the mod, doing major mechanical overhauls, and somewhere in there at least starting on some simple repeating missions.

The less people hinge their own plans on whatever I'm doing here, the better I'll feel, really. You can go enjoy my new package of bad ideas over here, when that releases (soon).

I apparently can't stop myself, and I'd call it 'adequate' rather than 'amazing', personally. That's part of the reason I'm hacking away at it.

you're way to hard on yourself, your work is honestly amazing. I haven't gotten a chance to get deep into the mags, but i'm already enjoying what I've seen so far. I eagerly await the return of DME, but I won't say that can't wait,if only for your peace of mind.

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 01, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »

yea just want to say that dme is excellent and the other stuff added is clutch.

excited for the new stuff youre currently working on ;]

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 01, 2021, 06:42:16 PM »

What do we want?

Brave Blade!

When do we want it?

Now!

Or, you know, whenever it's convenient, no big.

:'(

envenger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1372 on: June 01, 2021, 11:20:56 PM »

Oh my god don't do that.

That's good to know about the time line. I had never used the mod i have always heard about the blade breakers from the discord but didn't knew it was a part of it.
I guess i will try your other mod until this 1 comes out.

Any particular reason you are respriting most of your mod? The design/shading went good with vanilla with a unique twist.

ShadowDragon8685

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 07, 2021, 02:55:45 AM »

I too, am just checking in to say that I'm not even gonna bother touching Starsector until this updates.

I just cannot live with myself if I'm not bombarding my enemies over the flight decks of a Jeanne d'Arc-class FCV while carrier operations tempo goes absolutely madhouse.

Nyarlathotep

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 19, 2021, 08:20:16 AM »

Just some words of encouragement! I really really love this mod, and I especially love to fill my carriers with blade breaker fighters. I am excited to see the total reworking of this mod- true aspects of the old one were a bit OP, but I loved it all the same. Keep up the good work and I am also excited to try your new Magellan mod. Give yourself some credit this is probably my favorite mod (maybe next to speed up :p ) and I cant wait to play it! Good luck and thanks for all your hard work!

Nicegye00

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1375 on: June 28, 2021, 09:52:33 PM »

I can't help but think it's a bit too funny to see how many people demand an update to this while the author is doing work on another new mod. I'm not going to say this is a must have because to be fair, I had like 3 of those from the last updates and they haven't had any attention so overall I can wait for a bit.

What I will say mechanic is that you shouldn't push yourself too hard into thinking that you need to focus on this mate. Do as you please, if that's inventing something new then make it new, and if it's working on this and updating it into that blissful fruit that seemed to get teased way back when I first tried this mod out, then that works too. I'm gonna go grab your other mod and add it into my current playthrough, and I'm assuming what is to be expected from this, which can be tomorrow or half a year from now I don't mind which one it'll be, is for your unique sigma items to have more functionality now that vanilla seems to make the ability to work with items into structures more easy to do. Overall though don't overwork yourself mate and have a good time while your at it.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 28, 2021, 10:10:20 PM »

Well, I'm on break right now (or will be once I make a few more alterations to the Magellans for their 1.1), and the hope is that eventually I can wind down into maintenance mode to write my story missions by making big changes now; removing and redesigning things on a conceptual level so that what was overpowered or redundant before either has a good niche, or gets replaced by or reworked as something that does. The introduction of Omega weapons and mount-type overrides offers a lot of ways to streamline things, and I'm trying to take advantage of that.

So I'm on it! Appreciate hearing that you're not too put out; I hope everyone who is can understand I'm trying to make it worth the wait.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 04:24:37 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

6chad.noirlee9

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 29, 2021, 04:18:44 PM »

Oh my god don't do that.

wpah, from the messages we exchanged a while back i figured you werent doing so much

im stoked to see youre really going all in.

ive decided to do my playthrough with archean order first, as NO ONE has done that, and i would like to have something to do while waiting for all of the updates (they are many.  they are billions )

Mira Lendin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 12, 2021, 09:02:24 AM »

This mod is essential for any SS playthrough, i would love to see it updated as soon as possible :)
^^

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 12, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »

I should probably take inventory of the changes I've made so far and post something about progress-to-date at some point; the short version is 'yeah, still working on it' - kinda burned out but doing all the slow unglamorous parts that you can do by rote.

For a rough timeline, I'd say the stage I'm at now is about 2/2.5 out of 3-4; I took care of stage 1 (basic compatibility) pretty fast, stage 2 is a process of mechanically redoing a bunch of stuff rough and messy, and 3 and 4 are going to be respriting/new mechanics and then some kind of final polish pass to make it all work together.

It's not really that cleanly separated (many of the current changes from 1.18 were already in place for 0.9.1a, I've done some new art already, I've tweaked a bunch of stuff for new mechanics and balance), but that's approximately where the progress bar is; call it between 40% and 60%, and still a lot left to do.

Probably the first point where I'd really want to put out any kind of preview version is whenever I have most of the mechanical changes in, but haven't done the final release art yet.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93