Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: A Tale of Two Tech Levels (05/28/21)

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.18a  (Read 600095 times)

Calica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.18a
« Reply #1335 on: May 03, 2021, 10:35:13 AM »

Hey, so, I don't know who sent me four donations in a row or if they post here, but as long as you're around, I gotta say; I have a pretty comfortable life these days and I'm not in this for the money, but fellow modder MesoTroniK very much could use the money if you've got it and the urge to spread it around.

DME exists in current, enjoyable form largely because Meso took the time to teach me some very basic best practices and share some invaluable scripts with me. I'd take it as a personal favor if people who think of donating to me would go donate whatever they were going to give me to him instead.

Great to know. I very much appreciate your sentiment and your hard work on the mod. So, pls do get a beverage on my tab and know that I also donated a bit more to the donation drive.

FreonRu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 03, 2021, 12:23:05 PM »

Good day. Sorry for using google translate.

Awesome mod, looking forward to 0.95a compatibility, as well as new content that could further reveal the faction.

How about additional buildings, the blueprint of which can only be obtained by completing the faction's quest chain? :)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 03, 2021, 12:44:05 PM »

I very much appreciate your sentiment and your hard work on the mod. So, pls do get a beverage on my tab and know that I also donated a bit more to the donation drive.
Thanks! I appreciate the free beer the next time I go out, but much more the donation to Meso.

Awesome mod, looking forward to 0.95a compatibility, as well as new content that could further reveal the faction.
Thank you. I'm plugging away at it; I've got a lot of the new systems working, big content revisions as well as major balance improvements that were started before 0.95a came out. It's a huge update, it's still not remotely done, but I'm making progress. And of course, there's going to be lots of story material.

How about additional buildings, the blueprint of which can only be obtained by completing the faction's quest chain? :)
You know, I've thought about this and tried a couple of things, but with industry limits the way they are, I really wouldn't want to go there unless I had a very definite idea, probably with a story role, that fit into some unique niche. So making new constructible industries isn't very high on my priority list right now, but once Magellans are out and DME is updated, who can say...
People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations.

LtSnoWolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 05, 2021, 09:55:06 AM »

Being a big fan of the Blade Breakers I'm excited to see where you take them and their content, their ships are always pretty to look at and fun to blow up or to be exploded by, their theme reminds me a bit of the Brotherhood of NOD or Cybran so I'm genuinely curious where your inspiration for them comes from. I've done quite a few deserter playthroughs and having more access to them and their weapons is a feature I really look forward to, in addition to potentially learning more about the fluff behind them and DME from story missions.

I also really look forward to playing your other mod as I love low tech, the blocky but smooth ship aesthetic in it looks great, and it's quality makes me excited to see what the art update for DME will look like too. I was gonna post a bunch of balance feedback from all the playthroughs I had centered around DME content, but it'd probably be a bit pointless since you've done major balance improvements behind the scenes already so I'll just wait until I get my hands on those. Thanks a lot for making such a fun mod and faction to fight!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »

You know, I've thought about this and tried a couple of things, but with industry limits the way they are, I really wouldn't want to go there unless I had a very definite idea, probably with a story role, that fit into some unique niche. So making new constructible industries isn't very high on my priority list right now, but once Magellans are out and DME is updated, who can say...
I've been thinking about this some myself - and while I don't have any grand ideas for new industries, I will say that there's plenty of room for... anything with a low maintenance cost, really?

Current vanilla game mechanics encourages me to have, ideally, around three colonies in one system. One of those colonies is packed to the limits, wanting mining (metals & rare metals), refining, heavy industry, and fuel production. The other two have room, though; one's going to be farming/mining (organics)/light industry, and the last is... well, really just mining on a gas giant. With gates for fast travel, I don't actually feel a need to stack high commands anymore - patrol HQs are fine. So I've got spare industry slots - they're just mostly on relatively high-hazard gas giants.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 05, 2021, 05:03:31 PM »

Being a big fan of the Blade Breakers I'm excited to see where you take them and their content, their ships are always pretty to look at and fun to blow up or to be exploded by, their theme reminds me a bit of the Brotherhood of NOD or Cybran so I'm genuinely curious where your inspiration for them comes from.
Well, there are little bits of lots of things in there. Blade Breakers call their cells 'Active Service Units' as a nod to the Provisional IRA; they've got a sort of ludicrous-anime-villain aesthetic that owes a lot to a variety of sources, but on the whole, I try to make as much up myself as I can using a blend of real-world knowledge and design skills to come up with something that looks and feels unique. 'AI-zombie space-IRA terrorist faction' + a set of aesthetic rules I drew up for how to convey those qualities.

There's also one inspiration that I am quite sure no one at all has guessed - it's not a media referent and it's only going to be apparent if you know some obscure local history of my hometown.

I've done quite a few deserter playthroughs and having more access to them and their weapons is a feature I really look forward to, in addition to potentially learning more about the fluff behind them and DME from story missions.
Well, one thing I've done is gone through their custom focus hullmods and locked those to their built-in hullmods, so now Deserter ships can use the Assault/Defense/Support Focus hullmods - which should make for slightly more interesting loadout tuning than before.

Alex has also given us a lot more tags and tools in 0.95 for making custom weapons drop only from specified drop groups. So I'd say he's in for a big thanks; really, most of the stuff I've found is really fun and consequential for them is just his core systems being that good and that extensible.

Story missions, of course, are going to be a must and tuning all these gameplay systems up is mainly so I can clear the deck after release to work on those.

I also really look forward to playing your other mod as I love low tech, the blocky but smooth ship aesthetic in it looks great, and it's quality makes me excited to see what the art update for DME will look like too. I was gonna post a bunch of balance feedback from all the playthroughs I had centered around DME content, but it'd probably be a bit pointless since you've done major balance improvements behind the scenes already so I'll just wait until I get my hands on those. Thanks a lot for making such a fun mod and faction to fight!
Thank you for taking the time. Magellans are chugging forward towards 1.0 and release-ready; I'm still working up their campaign rig and polishing out those last few imperfections.

DME art updates will probably take a while, but yeah, a lot of the lesson learned with Magellans will feed back into them. Going to clean things up and try to achieve a less-blinding off-white, and more painterly vector artwork. Tidy up some of the obnoxious greeble.

So I've got spare industry slots - they're just mostly on relatively high-hazard gas giants.

Well, I have a notion now - let's discuss this in PMs.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:05:30 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

luckish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1341 on: May 06, 2021, 07:28:46 PM »

I don't want to bug you and Im sure this has been asked, but when do you think DME is gonna be updated for 0.9.5? This has got to be one of my favorite faction mods in the game, and I'm rearin to get a playthrough started with DME installed. KEEP UP UR GREAT WORK :^)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 06, 2021, 07:33:37 PM »

I don't want to bug you and Im sure this has been asked, but when do you think DME is gonna be updated for 0.9.5?
1) After Magellans are out,
2) Once I finish respriting what needs to be resprited,
3) Once my testers have all given the thumbs-up.

So, months, plural. The upside is that when it comes out for 0.95a, it'll feel like 0.95, not just like a slice of 0.9.1 in 0.95. I think that's better.

This has got to be one of my favorite faction mods in the game, and I'm rearin to get a playthrough started with DME installed. KEEP UP UR GREAT WORK :^)
Glad you like it. By all means don't hold your breath, though. Lotta work happening, but a lot of new fun and fixes coming down the pipe in the bargain.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:35:23 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Flak Bait

• Ensign
  • It's just me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 09, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »

Hey, sorry for bugging but i might have made this account just to give my opinions on mods i'm interested in and other little things in this game i'm currently addicted to but i'll just cut to the chase and ask the next

is there any E.T.A on Magellans?, it caught my attention as soon as i heard of it a few weeks ago and i absolutely fricking love the aesthetic of them ships and can't seem to gather the patience to not check this thread every day in hopes of good news about Magellan's release.

i won't ask for DME since i very well know that you're putting some serious work into it.
Hello.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 09, 2021, 03:29:28 PM »

Hi. Glad you like the mod.

Magellans are very close, I would say; I have a stretch of worktime tonight that I hope will get them mostly over the finish line. They need a few more things on the campaign layer and possibly one or two minor pieces of content. I'm aiming for a 1.0 release that feels pretty complete; no story missions, but otherwise well-integrated into the 0.95 Starsector experience.

So, like Alex I'm trying to avoid giving ETAs besides 'when $feature is ready' because it could all come together and be ready this week or it could take slightly to much longer if there are issues. One good piece of news is that I've had great playtesting throughout, so it should feel much more finished when it releases.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 09, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »

what are Magellans  gonna look like :O any preview anywhere?

Arcalane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1346 on: May 09, 2021, 05:18:46 PM »

Here, in the spoiler. Looks like a fairly simple, blocky aesthetic, with the same kind of clean finish as DME themselves (compared to some of the fairly greebly vanilla designs).

I'm curious as to what their deal is - guessing they're a slow, heavy armour focus, contrasting DME's high-speed tactics.

DownTheDrain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 09, 2021, 07:01:32 PM »

So, months, plural.

I'm sad now.
Just came back to Starsector after many moons (or years rather) and now I'm genuinely not sure if I should even bother with the latest release. Most of my favorite factions are out of date with no real ETA.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Ur-Quan Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 09, 2021, 07:31:56 PM »

Here, in the spoiler. Looks like a fairly simple, blocky aesthetic, with the same kind of clean finish as DME themselves (compared to some of the fairly greebly vanilla designs).

I'm curious as to what their deal is - guessing they're a slow, heavy armour focus, contrasting DME's high-speed tactics.
I've been posting a bunch of Magellan testing content on my Twitter, but yeah, broadly correct - where DME is a kind of 'high-tech-end-of-midline' and (deliberately) lacks Ballistic slots (but not Hybrid/Composite/Universal slots), the Magellan Protectorate faction is a 'low-tech-end-of-midline' faction that (deliberately) lacks Energy slots (but not Hybrid/Universal slots). Their ships and weapons are lower tech and clumsier, they have less-sophisticated ship systems, and overall rely much more on being numerous, durable, and cheap. They started as an attempt to capture a Homeworld-like gameplay feel in Starsector and ended up being a whole weird faction of alternate low-tech/midline gear and ships.

And, you know, they have an awful society in crisis interesting campaign rig that I think players will like.

So, months, plural.

I'm sad now.
Just came back to Starsector after many moons (or years rather) and now I'm genuinely not sure if I should even bother with the latest release. Most of my favorite factions are out of date with no real ETA.
Quality is a function of time. You like them because we spend this kind of time on them. Personally, I liked the latest release a lot; it's fun by itself, it's got a lot to recommend it, and you can learn the new systems and mechanics so that when DME is updated, it'll be a fun twist on something you already know.

The reason I didn't push a simple compatibility update is that I was already deep in a large balance update when 0.95 hit. If you are absolutely desperate for a simple compatibility update, it's actually not that hard; some scripts need to be refactored, but you can do that yourself with relative ease. Here's the update list from the Discord:
MINIMAL UPDATE TO-DO LIST FOR 0.95a
data
 - fix game version in mod_info.json, add mods/library requirements without a version for now
 - add missing columns in systems_data.csv
 - add missing columns in weapon_data.csv
 - add missing columns in hull_data.csv
 - check all Faction files for removed officer skills
 - fix OP in variants due to many cost changes in vanilla weapons and hullmods

code
 - fix old administrator skills (SPACE_OPERATION instead of FLEET_LOGISTICS)
 - fix all OnHitEffectPlugin() (add ApplyDamageResultAPI damageResult, to the onHit() declaration)
 - fix deprecation (notably from MagicLib's methods)
 - Remove Nexerelin Corvus mode check from onNewGame()
 - Remove library check from onApplicationLoad()
[close]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:35:32 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 09, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »

wow looks epic!
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92