Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: [0.95a] High Tech Expansion v1.4.3  (Read 75493 times)

theDragn

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] High Tech Expansion v1.4.3
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2021, 09:06:47 PM »

I think that's the first overwhelmingly positive review of the [REDACTED] emitter I've heard yet.  The prevailing viewpoint seems to be that not only are they not insanely good, but actually mediocre-to-poor PD weapons, and among the worst performing of the new [REDACTED] weapons for their intended role.

(ofc, the claim that they're the worst is wrong; that title clearly belongs to the [REDACTED] medium missile.)
Huh, really? My impression of them was that they were basically the first (un-nerfed and fairly busted) iteration of my arc emitters with better numbers. They're very, very good when massed— [SUPER REDACTED] ships have such excellent PD grids for a reason.

And on their medium missile— I think it's very good, but it requires massed fire to really shine. And it's probably the least powerful weapon they have.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2021, 08:30:49 AM »

I had a similarly good first impression with the emitter, but that decayed quite a bit when I noticed the missiles that had gotten hit and seemed to be flamed out exploded on my shields or hull anyways.  My first impression was probably heavily shaped when a Dorito deleted my Aurora in less than a second, but that had little to do with the emitter in hindsight and more to do with the rockets.

As far as the medium missile, it's not actually possible for either the player or the OPFOR to mass them; the latter because they're encountered at most on 2 cruiser-sized ships at a time with somewhat limited medium space, the former because said the weapons themselves are a finite resource achieved only through those finite encounters, and what weapons are actually salvaged (or available in the first place) is basically up to chance.  I have other serious issues with the guns, but you can read about that (along with the other people's takes) in the other thread.

ICYMI, Old discussion of the various [REDACTED] guns was here:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21271.0

FreonRu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2021, 02:22:34 AM »

Good day. Sorry for using google translate.

Are there plans to add high-tech civilian ships? Now in the vanilla game, now the place of the largest tanker and container ship is taken by low tech ships. Maybe before the collapse, the blueprints of the high-tech Atlas and Prometheus or their analogues were hidden?

theDragn

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2021, 06:40:07 PM »

I had a similarly good first impression with the emitter, but that decayed quite a bit when I noticed the missiles that had gotten hit and seemed to be flamed out exploded on my shields or hull anyways.  My first impression was probably heavily shaped when a Dorito deleted my Aurora in less than a second, but that had little to do with the emitter in hindsight and more to do with the rockets.

As far as the medium missile, it's not actually possible for either the player or the OPFOR to mass them; the latter because they're encountered at most on 2 cruiser-sized ships at a time with somewhat limited medium space, the former because said the weapons themselves are a finite resource achieved only through those finite encounters, and what weapons are actually salvaged (or available in the first place) is basically up to chance.  I have other serious issues with the guns, but you can read about that (along with the other people's takes) in the other thread.

ICYMI, Old discussion of the various [REDACTED] guns was here:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21271.0

Hmm. That's some food for thought, then. I'm definitely hesitant to make the arc emitters better than the secret vanilla ones... And point taken on the medium missiles, most of my testing them had been through console commands. Something to think about, anyway.

Good day. Sorry for using google translate.

Are there plans to add high-tech civilian ships? Now in the vanilla game, now the place of the largest tanker and container ship is taken by low tech ships. Maybe before the collapse, the blueprints of the high-tech Atlas and Prometheus or their analogues were hidden?

Yes, I had plans for a capital fleet tender/cargo/fuel ship. However, my life is quite hectic right now, and it will probably be a while before I have time to work on it.

hqwefg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »

This was probably already answered and I just missed it while scrolling through all the posts, but how do I get the ships, parts and blueprints in vanilla with just this mod and its dependencies? I know I can purchase the ships from their factions(tri-tachyon mostly) and probably just raid them to get the blueprints with RNG, but the mod description says I can get all the stuff from Vesperon caches, except the Vesperon combine mod hasn't been updated to the current version of the game, so does the parts and blueprints get added to regular research stations and caches or is there no way to get it while exploring?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2021, 04:59:24 PM »

Hello, I'm here to say three things for now!

The first one is that I absolutely LOVE playing with and fighting against these new ships and using the new weapons you provided. I am on a 100% low tech run but I'm hostile against most factions using these Snipes and they gave me a really enjoying set of hard fights!

Secondly, I won't be able to provide reasonably exhaustive feedback on high tech ships, but I did try most of the new weapons and I really wish I could play units with more energy weapons to use the Arc weapons more. They're quite great when massed, provided you got the ordinance points, I found that the "fun" way when fighting a radiant that had 6 of those in the back mounts, making me unable to immobilize it as usual with Salamanders.

Thirdly, I love the Aggressor, but it really bothers me nonetheless for just one reason. How do you feel about both versions being 38DP?

Personally speaking, I already find it superior to the Onslaught because of Accelerated Ammo Feeder instead of the Burn drive and the added mobility. It does have point defence issues since the weapon arcs in general make it suffer when trying to cover its back, but I personally really think the ship itself is fully worth 40 Deployment Points with minute buffs.

38 is such a painful number to work with when trying to deploy a full 120-150-180-240 DP force. Just giving both versions a tad more top speed and something like 15, 20 extra Ordinance Points would make it entirely capable to go toe to toe with all other capitals. I mean, my XIV version with an officer on and 3 integrated hullmods can beat the Simulation Paragon by itself, under AI control and without taking a single point of hull point damage.

I really wish the XIV Battlegroup buffs were more consistent, so we could imagine the non-XIV Aggressor to down to 35DP while the XIV one goes all the way up to 40, but it is what it is.

Thoughts? How does everyone else feel about the Aggressor being at the very ankward 38DP mark?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:05:29 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]