Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

which is the good ship?

parrot
- 67 (37.9%)
scythe
- 39 (22%)
nevermore
- 71 (40.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]

Author Topic: SPIRAL ARMS: Sprite Dump, Free to use, No Sprite requests, Free Puppies  (Read 447391 times)

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: SPIRAL ARMS: Sprite Dump, Free to use, No Sprite requests, Free Puppies
« Reply #585 on: August 16, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »

Personally I started with Paint.net (which is not bad for a beginner and don't let anyone tell you otherwise), and then moved to Krita when I started getting more in-depth with my 'bashes. I tried Gimp first, but it was far less user-friendly in my opinion, and Krita worked much better for me.

Incidentally, both Gimp and Krita are completely free to use.
I still use Paint.net
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 16, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »

Are you doing raster art?
Yes?
Are you using Photoshop, Krita, or Gimp?
If you are not, then you are doing it wrong as those are the ONLY relevant programs for doing raster art.

And don't give me that but but Paint Tool SAI line, Krita also has a wonderful brush stabilizer (not that it matters for spriting), and the Lazy Nezumi program adds an even better brush stabilizer to ANY raster art program. Oh, and Paint.net is awful, the idea of using an "easy" program to learn on is a fallacy. Use a good one from the start, takes less time...

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 17, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »

Are you doing raster art?
Yes?
Are you using Photoshop, Krita, or Gimp?
If you are not, then you are doing it wrong as those are the ONLY relevant programs for doing raster art.

And don't give me that but but Paint Tool SAI line, Krita also has a wonderful brush stabilizer (not that it matters for spriting), and the Lazy Nezumi program adds an even better brush stabilizer to ANY raster art program. Oh, and Paint.net is awful, the idea of using an "easy" program to learn on is a fallacy. Use a good one from the start, takes less time...
Paint Tool SAI it is magnificent. I don't think that my sprites made in him something will be worse than those which can be made in Photoshop, Krita, or Gimp.
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 17, 2017, 03:38:48 PM »

Only Paint Tool SAI is not magnificent. Any of the three programs I listed will beat it at its own game + more. Krita out the box, Photoshop and Gimp with Lazy Nezumi added on.

SAI is the barest of bare bones, it doesn't even have a freaking transparency grid! It displays transparency as a solid white fill, it lacks tons of basic quality of life features and image editing tools. It is an extremely basic painter program for doing manga style art and nothing else. Anyways, I am not saying you cannot do good art on a bad program. Because you certainly can! The point is, it makes life much, much, much harder.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 17, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »

Only Paint Tool SAI is not magnificent. Any of the three programs I listed will beat it at its own game + more. Krita out the box, Photoshop and Gimp with Lazy Nezumi added on.

SAI is the barest of bare bones, it doesn't even have a freaking transparency grid! It displays transparency as a solid white fill, it lacks tons of basic quality of life features and image editing tools. It is an extremely basic painter program for doing manga style art and nothing else. Anyways, I am not saying you cannot do good art on a bad program. Because you certainly can! The point is, it makes life much, much, much harder.
Transparency grid? Really it is so important? Why I didn't even pay attention to this nonsense?

Photoshop has advantage only in what allows to work with 3D and also very perfectly textures and brushes. But he has disgusting support of the graphic tablet. It is much more pleasant to work in SAI.
Lazy Nezumi in SAI there is an analog. Simply VERY big smoothing of movements. But even I don't use it.

And most important "+"! SAI weighs only couple of megabytes and she well uses any ***! Even on my poor computer.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:02:06 PM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:51 PM »

The transparency grid is actually kind of a big deal.

And for crying out loud, SAI does not even have levels and curves lighting adjustment tools! Might as well be scribbling on a piece of paper with crayons since without heavy manual editing you are pretty much stuck with what you painted. Perhaps you should pay attention to this "nonsense" Drakon.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 17, 2017, 09:14:24 PM »

The transparency grid is actually kind of a big deal.

And for crying out loud, SAI does not even have levels and curves lighting adjustment tools! Might as well be scribbling on a piece of paper with crayons since without heavy manual editing you are pretty much stuck with what you painted. Perhaps you should pay attention to this "nonsense" Drakon.
Hm... Interesting...

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 17, 2017, 09:19:10 PM »

It can be hard to see, and not much easier to fix that problem without the transparency grid and some advanced features in more powerful raster art programs.

I used the Threshold Alpha tool with a setting of 254 to turn all pixels that are not totally solid, totally transparent to make it very obvious. But even without using that tool to visualize it, many of those partially transparent areas on your ships I can see with my mk1 eyeball because... Transparency grid. Anyways, just trying to help other artists, present and future and I hope it does prove useful info to you Drakon and others :)

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 17, 2017, 09:29:36 PM »

It can be hard to see, and not much easier to fix that problem without the transparency grid and some advanced features in more powerful raster art programs.

I used the Threshold Alpha tool with a setting of 254 to turn all pixels that are not totally solid, totally transparent to make it very obvious. But even without using that tool to visualize it, many of those partially transparent areas on your ships I can see with my mk1 eyeball because... Transparency grid. Anyways, just trying to help other artists, present and future and I hope it does prove useful info to you Drakon and others :)
It consequences of use of the "Blur" tool. I up to this point didn't know that he can break the picture here and so. It is noticeable however and without special function. The truth it is really difficult to notice it.
Spoiler
[close]

Dandlion68

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi, i'm new here. I got a couple of "kitbashed" ships that i made while sleep deprived, can i post it here?

Thank
All my ships are (as far as i know) either 'kitbashed' (heh) from vanilla ships, or hand-drawn by myself. They are free to use as long as you tell me which mod it's in so i can download them myself.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

You'd be better off posting in the new version of this thread, the Spiral Arms II. The second one was created so it could be more easily organized, the first few posts are a storage format for sprites that have been submitted, which this original thread lacks.

Dandlion68

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You'd be better off posting in the new version of this thread, the Spiral Arms II. The second one was created so it could be more easily organized, the first few posts are a storage format for sprites that have been submitted, which this original thread lacks.

oh okay, thanks.
All my ships are (as far as i know) either 'kitbashed' (heh) from vanilla ships, or hand-drawn by myself. They are free to use as long as you tell me which mod it's in so i can download them myself.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]