Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

which is the good ship?

parrot
- 67 (37.9%)
scythe
- 39 (22%)
nevermore
- 71 (40.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40

Author Topic: SPIRAL ARMS: Sprite Dump, Free to use, No Sprite requests, Free Puppies  (Read 447384 times)

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile

Can someone make Discovery Freelancer ship sprites?

there is the capital ship list;
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Capital_ships
Gunboats;
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Gunboat
Liner,Transporters;
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Liners#Passenger_Liners
Bombers;
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Bombers
LF,HF,VHF and SHF ( Fighters)
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Light_Fighters#Light_Fighters

That would be awesome to see discovery freelancer universe in Starsector.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

This is not the thread for requests :) 

That said, you got lucky, I once did a bunch of FL modding, so I'll explain what you'd need to do. 

About the only way you could do it and have it look halfway decent would be to export all the CMPs via the Milkshape3D exporter tool, convert the DDS textures into something more suitable, then render it in your choice of software.  It's something that would take ages to do even if you're very good, to be frank.

Even doing it the crappier-but-faster way (viewing the meshes in HardCMP and taking screenshots) would take a long time and the results wouldn't be terribly good, because you wouldn't have shadows and all that.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile

This is so hard for me...  :(

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This is so hard for me...  :(
If it was easy, I wouldn't have kitbashed so much.
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile

i have an idea, so a huge try-tachyion fleet was destroyed and they've got most of the wreckage of a oddysye,a astral, a paragon, and a whole lot of broken hypierions (that means you can only use those kind of parts), and i want it to have the roundy boulbus shape of the oddsyye, the the flux capability and shield of the paragon, and the speed and teleportation of the hypierion good luck ;)
May the fry be with you.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile

i have an idea, so a huge try-tachyion fleet was destroyed and they've got most of the wreckage of a oddysye,a astral, a paragon, and a whole lot of broken hypierions (that means you can only use those kind of parts), and i want it to have the roundy boulbus shape of the oddsyye, the the flux capability and shield of the paragon, and the speed and teleportation of the hypierion good luck ;)

Just a friendly reminder this is not a request thread.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

Taking someone work isn't taboo, it's illegal! (unless specifically told otherwise, and even then it depends of the author's country laws). Besides, very few of the sprites here ever get used, so the risk isn't worth it.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I doubt this will lead to any legal issues, I'm not getting rich out of it or anything besides I don't think he even cares anymore, but yea if he comes back and wants it taken down I will do so.
 I don't expect much fuss from an abandoned sprite posted on a cemetery thread anyway.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:37:10 AM by Sabaton »

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile

It isn't... common practice to undertake illegal activities just because no-one cares. If you can't obtain permission from the creator to use their work for whatever reason, you assume you may not use it. Simple as that, at least as far as I'm concerned. The fact remains that the sprite is an original work, and although the creator may be perfectly alright with its reuse, you simply cannot know for sure. And to be frank, if it turns out he really doesn't want you to use it and a massive stink come about as a result, that'd just be awkward for everybody.

On that note, I'm digging up this sprite from the previous page for use in my mod;

Spoiler
[close]

The Kitbash of my Kitbash is now going to be put into service with my other Kitbashes >:D

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

I doubt this will lead to any legal issues, I'm not getting rich out of it or anything besides I don't think he even cares anymore, but yea if he comes back and wants it taken down I will do so.
 I don't expect much fuss from an abandoned sprite posted on a cemetery thread anyway.

Although unlikely, it -can- lead to legal issues. Plus it just isn’t very nice to use other people’s work without requesting permission first. Even if your intentions are honourable (which they obviously are!). I suggest you email StickyNavels. His email address is listed publicly on his profile.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Your arguments and Tartifletes mail were pretty compelling and insightful ( as I'm a little oblivious to these things ), so as to avoid drama I'll just remove the post and imgur image.
 Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:20:52 AM by Sabaton »

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Go ahead! Copy it! As long as you live in Eritia, Turkmenistan or San Marino you won't be doing anything illegal.

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile

Just a friendly reminder this is not a request thread.
:'(
May the fry be with you.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

Go ahead! Copy it! As long as you live in Eritia, Turkmenistan or San Marino you won't be doing anything illegal.
This also isn't a discussion thread. I have informed Sabaton of the proper course of action (i.e. emailing the sprite's creator).  Though I appreciate and understand what you're trying to do.

I'll be sure to contact the original thread's author and request that we change the title to inform everyone that this is a sprite dump, not a request or discussion thread.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:48:42 PM by Erick Doe »

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: SPIRAL ARMS: Sprite Dump, Free to use, Free Puppies,
« Reply #479 on: September 18, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »

Ok, have changed the title
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40