Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Author Topic: Fighter Redesign  (Read 149134 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Redesign
« Reply #300 on: September 04, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

I always imagined that the DRM stuff isn't actually unbreakable to a sci-fi extent, but requires extremely specialized skill to do so like irl, and that the sector is simply too destabilized for most populations to have access to the kind of depth of information you'd need to be able to self-teach how to break military levels of encryption,
And more importantly I imagine the breaking of DRM to actually be a thing that people do, it's just that with point A in consideration those people's skills would in such extreme demand that they'd be able to generate artificial demand for themselves by generally banding together to refuse to do too much for any particular corporation or government without getting paid such stupid amounts of money that they could actually afford protection from the inevitable danger of kidnapping that that would bring.
In fact that could be a major driver of conflict in the sector, the kidnapping, enslavement and killing of software pirates
Or, in the case of some player characters with max Technology skills that could do this sort of thing, are too busy playing trader and/or warlord.

I increasingly feel that the Condor should have a medium Composite turret instead of an exclusive missile turret. I'd use them a lot more often if I could transition them to dual flak/LMG pure PD fits after the early game.
I like that idea.  Fast Missile Racks on ship that does not want missiles is kind of annoying, but that has affected other ships too, namely Venture and Doom before 0.7.2.  There were times I would have loved to hang back and have my Condor snipe with Mauler and Needlers.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2016, 07:26:52 AM »

That's already what the Gemini is for. Like explicitly that's the difference. Condor is more missile focused, fast racks and no medium ballistic, Gemini has medium ballistics so you can go for better PD or long range fire support but it doesn't have the sheer missile power. Giving Condor a medium composite is crazy - it makes it possible to make the ship system literally useless in exchange for making it fill a role another ship already does, worse. If you want a Condor that snipes with Maulers and Needlers - get a Gemini. That is it's whole point.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 05, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »

And that is one reason among several why Condor is currently so overshadowed by Gemini, except for burn speed and a likely one-use missile nova.  That may not be relevant in the next release since their roles may change.  Condor will be a dedicated carrier while Gemini will be a freighter/carrier hybrid.  If Condor will be the only dedicated destroyer-sized carrier, then it would be nice for a composite mount so those who do not want missiles can try to brawl with it.  (For non-pursuit, I care little for missiles unless they regenerate or cost nothing to mount.  The former has poor stopping power, and the latter are limited one-shots.)

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 05, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »

Condor has plenty of stopping power when you get a missile spec officer in it. Fast Racks, Pilums, 10 missile spec offcier means you put out some serious missile power.
Again turning the only missile mount composite on a ship with fast missile racks goes completely against what it is clearly supposed to be, makes it easier for new players to accidentally screw themselves out of their ship system - and there is absolutely not reason for the mount to be composite. Medium Ballistic fire support simply isn't what the ship is about - if it was it wouldn't have fast missile racks and no medium ballistic mounts. If people want to brawl with it - well they need to get a different ship. Like a Gemini. Or, once the gemini is down to half as many fighters, they'll have to trade up to Mora or a Heron. Or hell a Venture, which is pretty much the ship for people that want a carrier that can also fire support with ballistics.

Not every ship has to be able to perform every job, especially not a clearly very specialized ship like the Condor (and nothing says "I am a missile boat" like Fast Racks and the primary mount being medium missile).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:17:41 AM by DatonKallandor »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 05, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »

Condor has plenty of stopping power when you get a missile spec officer in it. Fast Racks, Pilums, 10 missile spec offcier means you put out some serious missile power.
Sort of.  If it is Pilums, all they do is destroy AI ships that try to shield tank Pilums while nearly flux locked, then die.  Otherwise, Pilum is just a pressure tool.  If it is Salamanders, it EMPs but otherwise does insignificant damage.  If it is anything else, it may kill a ship or two then it is out of missiles and defenseless.

Again turning the only missile mount composite on a ship with fast missile racks goes completely against what it is clearly supposed to be
I disagree.  Its primary function is a dedicated carrier.

Re: Venture
Leaving aside that Venture has been killed by slow burn (and weak fighters), Venture is also another ship built for missiles, with half of its mounts dedicated to missiles and has Fast Missile Racks, but it can be used without them.  It may need to leave missiles empty to afford the stats it needs to brawl, and it is still stuck with fast missile racks.  However, that may not matter later because Venture may be repurposed as a dedicated mining ship, and its bays could be locked to mining pods.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 05, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »

I disagree.  Its primary function is a dedicated carrier.

Yes, a dedicated carrier with a primary armamanent that is missiles. Just like Gemini is (soon was) a dedicated carrier with a more flexible loadout but withouth the sheer missile focus of the Condor (no fast racks). They're both carriers yes, but they also have clearly different loadouts. A composite Condor would just give you the option to turn it into a worse Gemini with a useless system instead. There's no upside here - just unnecessarily blurring of ship roles and introducing confusion for newer players.

The Venture is 2 condors and a 1 Gemini all stuck together. It has one of the best ship systems and the mounts to take advantage of it and 2 medium ballistics, which are hands down the most desireable non-mixed mount type in the game. It's ridiculously flexible (hardly inherently missile focused - it has too much non-missile power for that but it can be if the player wants it), but most importantly you have to try hard in order to screw yourself out of the ship system. People are unlikely to do that unless they're doing it intentionally.

It might get OP starved after the update depending on how much strikecraft need and how much it gets extra, but currently it can easily handle direct fire weapons and missiles.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:34:55 PM by DatonKallandor »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 05, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »

give you the option to turn it into a worse Gemini with a useless system instead. There's no upside here - just unnecessarily blurring of ship roles and introducing confusion for newer players.
After the next update, Condor will dedicate more to fighters (or rather, Gemini will not be a dedicated carrier anymore), with two decks instead of the one Gemini will get.  It does not seem Gemini will remain Condor++ as it is now.  With Gemini only getting one deck (and a system to temporarily fake more), it seems it will evolve into a hybrid carrier as much as the Mule is a hybrid gunner.  As for blurring of roles and confusion, I seriously doubt it.  As for upside, I see upside - independence from missiles and more viable configurations - the ability to either lightly brawl from afar (no better than a frigate) or make a PD boat with flak and LMGs/Vulcans, if you want a small dedicated carrier that is not stuck to missile spam only.  Remember that, unless we get more destroyer-sized carriers, Condor will likely become the only dedicated carrier of its size.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 05, 2016, 01:20:36 PM »

I think the Mora is destroyer sized isn't it?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »

I think the Mora is destroyer sized isn't it?
No, Mora is cruiser-sized; the slow, tanky low-tech counterpart to the nimble high-tech-with-midline-clothing Heron.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »

Well we need another non-conversion destroyer sized carrier then I guess. Unless the Domain didn't bother with smaller-than-cruiser carriers during their carrier age?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:40:31 PM by DatonKallandor »

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »

There probably should not be any worry about Medusa or Sunder being carriers.  They need all of their OP to do their primary jobs.  With max OP, they have just enough to get everything they need, although they may not be able to afford all of the luxuries.
But having an auto pulse laser cover hordes of bombers as the enemy cries salty tears is the meaning of life.
Just kidding.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2016, 06:18:35 AM »

With the given info, a hangar for Sunder will cost 10 OP, a wing of Daggers will cost 20 OP, refit times are slower, and bombers may not get a bonus for returning in one piece for ships with a converted hangar.  That Sunder will pay a heavy price for a wing of bombers.

Otharious

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 06, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »

am think I might be the only one that's going to miss crew levels, I Loved flying with skill to avoid damage, as id lose my good crew. but when I did get hit it make it that much more "WOW, that hurt"  I loved running with blast doors too.    But if crew is having their levels removed? what level are they going to be at by defult? Elite for 80% CR?

and if crew is just all the same skill.  kinda makes Blast doors useless as it's mostly great for saving crew and if all crew is the same you might as well put on another hullmod instead of blast doors and just buy replacement crew :(*

But i like the fighter changes!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2016, 05:51:24 PM »

Crew will max at 70% CR.  I am sure Alex will make necessary adjustments elsewhere to make it work.  Blast Doors still gives +20% to hull, so even if saving crew may not be as useful, your ship is a bit more resilient, and it does not require any skill unlocks.  Blast Doors is a decent filler hullmod when you have OP to burn.

After a certain point in the game, I have more elite crew than I need even without points in Command Experience, and 80% CR from crew was the baseline late in the game.  Basically, it was another little thing that contributes to inverted difficulty - early-game hard, late-game easy.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:52 PM »

I feel like the crew mechanic might be one to reintroduce once fleet operations gets expanded upon, cause the lost of skilled crew to repeated late-game engagements between two fleets that are too big to go down in one fight would be a good way to physically represent attrition
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25