Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: Fighter Redesign  (Read 148425 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Fighter Redesign
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »

I haven't found any mention of how the carrier officer's skills affect its fighters. I suppose skills in general are too much being gutted and reassembled to talk about?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »

I haven't found any mention of how the carrier officer's skills affect its fighters. I suppose skills in general are too much being gutted and reassembled to talk about?

Yeah, not quite ready to talk about it. Suffice it to say that there are hooks for this and it's very much on my mind :)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2016, 07:26:59 PM »

So lemme see here:
  • Xyphos now has an Ion Beam
  • Talons now have Swarmers
  • Broadswords lost Swarmers but gained anti-PD chaff
  • Warthogs now have 3x Light Mortars and anti-PD chaff
  • Tridents only have the 2 Atropos now
  • Daggers use Hammers now

Is that all the major changes to current fighter wings or have there been a few other big shakeups?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »

Aside from across-the-board changes in armor/hull/shield/flux numbers, yeah, I think that cover it.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2016, 07:46:05 PM »

Maybe a Shield projector for fighters? That would be cool for a high tech carrier. (Tho we dont have one beside the astral atm)

I believe the Pegasus Belt Council faction mod has a carrier like that. I haven't played in a while though, so not entirely sure.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »

Yea it does, and is really extremely OP... And doesn't really work that well since putting a shield on a fighter like that which was not designed to support it is just a bit sub optimal.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:23 PM »

Alex you could make the ability to order fighter - specific strikes (and maybe ordering the attending carrier to harass the target, if fulfilling no other order and targeting a ship that can't outrun it) and also out-of-combat deployment and side-deploying flights of fighters could all be rolled into a fleet skill line focused around commanding a fleet that has a focus on fighter action (as opposed to just piloting s carrier)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »

Warthog needs a 30mm autocannon to go with its name :P

Mazuo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2016, 01:40:38 AM »

Considering the fighter changes and systems added to distract PD, has anything been changed in regard to targeting fighters themselves?  Been a while since I played, but as I recall there were some irritating moments where ships would rather divert all their attention to each newly replaced fighter than actually kill the carrier rebuilding them.

Just wondering if in the change to fighters as equipment rather than their own ship entity if AI ships will prioritize them less as targets when there are more serious threats nearby.

Legendsmith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2016, 03:53:08 AM »

Well I'm quite hyped for this. I haven't touched starsector for a while since I played the hell out of it a bit too much, but this update sounds real good. Once again I can run Thunder wings without feeling like I'm gimping myself.

Carabus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »

Can LPCs equipped in carriers be changed in space or does it cost CR?
Would be nice to change the types of fighters you want to deploy in response to composition of enemy fleet. I know they are supposed to work like weapons, but currently you can decide which fighters to deploy in battle and I wonder if you still would.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »

Considering the fighter changes and systems added to distract PD, has anything been changed in regard to targeting fighters themselves?  Been a while since I played, but as I recall there were some irritating moments where ships would rather divert all their attention to each newly replaced fighter than actually kill the carrier rebuilding them.

Just wondering if in the change to fighters as equipment rather than their own ship entity if AI ships will prioritize them less as targets when there are more serious threats nearby.

It's something I've been looking at. I get what you're saying - it can look a bit weird for a ship to focus on a fighter when there's a carrier nearby. It's also very tricky to figure out when it's better to do that vs not; ignoring fighters too much tends to be more detrimental than focusing on them. Ignoring them means you can take unnecessary damage and it can snowball, while focusing on them generally means a slower but more secure kill against the carrier. So, still looking at it, but it's tricky.

Once again I can run Thunder wings without feeling like I'm gimping myself.

Ah, hopefully. The Thunder is a tricky one to balance, actually. It's only two per wing, still, so it's not very strong upfront. But then it can be a source of lots of Harpoons, and that's pretty worthwhile.

Can LPCs equipped in carriers be changed in space or does it cost CR?
Would be nice to change the types of fighters you want to deploy in response to composition of enemy fleet. I know they are supposed to work like weapons, but currently you can decide which fighters to deploy in battle and I wonder if you still would.

Well, yes and yes :) I definitely don't want to incentivize switching fighters frequently, it's the sort of thing that sounds like it might be neat but would end up being a chore. Same as weapons and hullmods, really.

woodsmoke

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »

Also, I hope for a faction that has special faction variants (you know, like the hegemony legion ships) that specialize in hangar deck hullmods. Maybe the Lion's Guard?

I'd be all for this. One of my minor criticisms of the game right now is the fact every faction excepting Tri-Tachyon would be virtually indistinguishable from one another were it not for the colored circles surrounding them. The more can be done to differentiate them both cosmetically and behaviorally, the better, IMO.
The more I learn, the less I know.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2016, 11:56:11 AM »

Wow. This redesign looks awesome! With so much new stuff being added from the past blog posts, I have to wonder how big of a jump it'll be from .7.2a.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »

It would be nice if that a carrier was ordered to capture a point, it would use its fighters to do it!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25