Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Instagibbed in certain situations (weird physics when crashing into object)  (Read 2538 times)

WM46

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Wasn't able to record a video of it actually happening, but I can give the general situation.

There was a ship corpse to my side and my ally on the other side of me, all frigate sized ships. My ally phase skimmed towards me as I was moving towards the corpse, and just as I touched it he turned on his shield and rammed me into it. I died immediately, 100% armor 100% hull down to zero in an instant. I wasn't hit by a torpedo, the lone ship we were attacking was overloaded.

It just seems like a bug because normally collisions do somewhere between 10-200 damage

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks for the report. Hmm - is this with mods, by chance? I'll keep an eye out in any case, but I *think* some mods have messed with ship collision damage, so it's possible that's a factor if they are indeed involved. Also, if a frigate's mass is set to a high value, they'll do more damage than usual.

How quickly is "immediately", btw? A single touch, or many small impacts, if you managed to catch that?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

If you could list the ships that were involved (and their mods) that would be nice
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

WM46

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It was definitely a single hit, the ship that rammed me didn't even get overloaded. I was driving a Yari and the AI was in a Kaiken from the Bushi mod.

Edit: And the dead ship to my left was just a pirate Lasher.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

sounds like your vessel was sunk by the phase-cloaked kraken of the great void :P
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm. Looking through the code, it's hard to see how the damage could get out of hand like that unless one of the ships had an excessively high mass. So I strongly suspect some mod-related shenanigans here.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

Hmm. Looking through the code, it's hard to see how the damage could get out of hand like that unless one of the ships had an excessively high mass.

dark matter in next release confirmed
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then