Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [0.95a] Combat Alarm Sounds mod v1.4  (Read 132035 times)

jamplier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95a] Combat Alarm Sounds mod v1.4
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »

Combat Alarm Sounds or CAS
Link  (v1.4)

Note: you do not need an account to download from dropbox. Just press "No thanks, continue to download" on the bottom of the pop up after pressing the "Download" button.

Description: CAS adds a variety of warning sounds triggered by things that are happening to your ship in combat (ex.: high flux, low hull, engines disabled etc.).

Video demo

Installation:
Extract the .rar into the installation_directory/Starsector/mods folder.

Gameplay info and tips:
-These are the situations which will trigger warnings:
Spoiler
Flux above 85% (warning_2_flux.ogg);
Spoiler
Video demo
[close]

Hull below 50% (hull_low_1.ogg);
Hull below 20% (starts an additional alarm) (hull_low_2.ogg);
Spoiler
Video demo
[close]

Engine flameout (flameout_1.ogg);
Spoiler
Video demo
[close]

High hull damage sustained (currently >600 in two frames) (damage_hull_1.ogg);
Spoiler
Video demo
[close]
[close]

-You can press "O" to temporarily suppress the low hull warnings (they reactivate after you sustain >200 hull damage);

-NEW: You can now change the alarm sounds with your own! More instructions in the readme file at Combat Alarm Sounds/sounds/fx/warnings

-NEW: Settings.ini allows you to change the volume of alarms and their trigger thresholds

-You can find the sounds at installation_directory/Starsector/mods/Combat Alarm Sounds/sounds/fx/warnings.

YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE MODDING
Check out these different sounds posted by users in the thread
Spoiler
The collision klaxxon from The Empire Strikes Back, by JDCollie
https://soundcloud.com/christopher-leaptrott/imperial-alert-siren-sound

A cool, underwater vibe, submarine inspired sound pack by A History Of Whales, download link.
Video demo

[close]

Changelog:
Spoiler
v1.1 "Now we're all legal"
-Removed incremental flux warnings
-High hull damage warning activates after >600 damage in two frames(old: >1000)
-Replaced all sounds

v1.2
-Adjusted volume for some sounds
-Added in-game message when below 50% hull: "Low hull; press O to suppress warnings"

v1.3
-Code cleanup -> trigger levels are easily visible in the script (lines 35-40);
-Fixed alarm playing when changing ships in combat;
-Fixed hull alarm not playing properly if hull level increases;
-Sound pitch now changes depending on in-game time flow.

v1.4
-You can now easily replace the alarms!
-Added Settings.ini
[close]

If you find bugs/errors or have a complaint/suggestion please post about it here.

Sources for sounds:
flashkit.com
findsounds.com

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:23:25 AM by jamplier »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.7.2a] Combat Alarm Sounds mod
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »

What license are those sounds released under?  If you don't have the legal right or permission granted to use them, those sounds are not legal to distribute.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

What license are those sounds released under?  If you don't have the legal right or permission granted to use them, those sounds are not legal to distribute.
Are you really nitpicking that?  I mean, I understand all the legal implications, but this is a mod for christ's sake.

(also, legally, since this is a mod and isn't sold for profit, the law can't really touch it if you're being that picky)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

jamplier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »

I'm mostly relying on the fact that it's not monetized. Also, ALL the Battlefield sound effects and music are available on a popular forum thread on a site called symthic, which is, as far as I'm aware, well known in the Battlefield community. I highly doubt EA would have a problem with my mod, when all the sound effects are readily available on the internet.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 04:15:53 PM »

That would mean the battlefield sounds are either released under a permissive license or fair use applies.  Not sure about the other games.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:33:37 PM »

This is pretty amazing. However, may I provide some input?

-I don't think you need the flux alarm until 85-90%, and even then not as piercing as you have now; most players will be paying attention to their flux levels intensely, and will really only need a subtle reminder they're high.
-The Hull warning sound is pretty good, as sometimes you'll notice the flux moving up and down, and completely forget about the hull. The problem is you've used the Halo shield-down alarm - I keep thinking the hull is going to regenerate. Maybe make the flux override make that sound, and find some generic alert sound from freesounds for the hull?
-The high damage alarm is brilliant - that is really useful for when you get unexpectedly flanked.
-The engine disabled alarm is a godsend - several times I'll have no idea what's going on when my ship just dies in the water. Having a sound that says it's happened is pretty useful. What I wouldn't mind however is have the engine alarm sustained until the engines come back: currently the alarm sounds quickly and can be overlooked (much like the flameout message), and having a sustained sound would be really useful in this instance.
-Also, wouldn't mind a weapon disabled sound effect as well in the same vein as above.
-Is it possible for music to play when you die? I just have an amusing thought of the Team Fortress 2 'You've been dominated' theme or Solid Snake's "death' theme playing when you get blown up.
-Also, if you move to another ship, will you still have the sounds for THAT ship?

EDIT: HA HA Alfonzo, Master of Using the Tab Key.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 12:13:54 AM »

(also, legally, since this is a mod and isn't sold for profit, the law can't really touch it if you're being that picky)
In legal term, this is called a Load of CR*P. Or do you also believe it is legal to distribute a movie via torrent because it isn't sold for profit??? Of course even when assuming those sounds weren't released with some permissive license it is still very unlikely that EA will come after this mod, since it doesn't affect EA games sales or image in any shape or form. But they still have valid ground to file a DMCA against it if they wanted to.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:23:16 AM by Tartiflette »

jamplier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 04:18:37 AM »

This is pretty amazing. However, may I provide some input?

-I don't think you need the flux alarm until 85-90%, and even then not as piercing as you have now; most players will be paying attention to their flux levels intensely, and will really only need a subtle reminder they're high.
-The Hull warning sound is pretty good, as sometimes you'll notice the flux moving up and down, and completely forget about the hull. The problem is you've used the Halo shield-down alarm - I keep thinking the hull is going to regenerate. Maybe make the flux override make that sound, and find some generic alert sound from freesounds for the hull?
-The high damage alarm is brilliant - that is really useful for when you get unexpectedly flanked.
-The engine disabled alarm is a godsend - several times I'll have no idea what's going on when my ship just dies in the water. Having a sound that says it's happened is pretty useful. What I wouldn't mind however is have the engine alarm sustained until the engines come back: currently the alarm sounds quickly and can be overlooked (much like the flameout message), and having a sustained sound would be really useful in this instance.
-Also, wouldn't mind a weapon disabled sound effect as well in the same vein as above.
-Is it possible for music to play when you die? I just have an amusing thought of the Team Fortress 2 'You've been dominated' theme or Solid Snake's "death' theme playing when you get blown up.
-Also, if you move to another ship, will you still have the sounds for THAT ship?

EDIT: HA HA Alfonzo, Master of Using the Tab Key.

-The sound that plays when above 90% flux is "independent", so to speak, of the other flux warnings. Muting flux_warning_1 in sounds.json will leave only the >90% flux sound playing. I often find myself unable to pay attention to my flux while in combat, probably because I always keep my battle size at max.
-Hah, that's a fair point, I'll probably have to do something about it.
-I find it infinitely useful as well. Fights between really large fleets can get quite chaotic, which I find really cool.
-I thought about it. Perhaps I'll change it in v1.1.
-I really don't think that would work very well, since a disabled, say, Hellbore Cannon, would probably play the same sound as a disabled LMG. It would probably just turn into a source for more audio clutter than help you.
-I thought about that as well; I won't include it in the "official" mod since it doesn't fit my original vision for it, but here's the script anyway EDIT: no longer works  :-[
-Yes, it checks the state of whatever ship you're piloting.

Regarding the sounds and their licenses:
If I have to change them to royalty free sounds, I absolutely will. I just want to say that all sound files for battlefield and halo are very easy to find and download (literally a google search away). I'm not saying my mod can't get taken down by a DMCA strike, I'm saying that if it was a realistic possibility, I probably wouldn't have been able to use those sounds in the first place. EDIT: no longer an issue
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:20:11 AM by jamplier »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 04:39:35 AM »

I probably wouldn't have been able to use those sounds in the first place.

With the internet, finding something that is illegal to use, seems to become easier and easier.. I found out the hard way.

How about worrying for it, if the time comes? At least I am guessing even if the worst comes, they will just request it to be taken down. I still feel EA are humans... *looks at their new games* ... probably..
Ignorance is bliss..

jamplier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 05:08:47 AM »

I'm going to start looking for royalty free sound assets. Hopefully I'll be done today, or in two days at most and I'll replace the old link.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:14:36 AM by jamplier »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Combat Alarm Sounds mod v1.1
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 09:09:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure bungee would hit the mods on xcom 2 and fallout that openly use their assets before they do starsector
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »

In legal term, this is called a Load of CR*P. Or do you also believe it is legal to distribute a movie via torrent because it isn't sold for profit??? Of course even when assuming those sounds weren't released with some permissive license it is still very unlikely that EA will come after this mod, since it doesn't affect EA games sales or image in any shape or form. But they still have valid ground to file a DMCA against it if they wanted to.

This definitely falls under "fair use." No need to scare people just for the sake of scaring people.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 11:56:45 PM »

This definitely falls under "fair use." No need to scare people just for the sake of scaring people.
I'm not trying to "scare" people, but to provide a friendly reminder that there are laws so they don't act surprised if they sometimes get DMCAed. It is indeed so extremely unlikely in the present case that the risk can be considered non-existent, but maybe the next time he takes assets from another license it won't be that unlikely.

Also this doesn't fit Fair Use at all:
Examples of fair use in United States copyright law include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, and scholarship.
Fair Use is is to allow the use of copyrighted material for a purpose different than the original material, so that it doesn't "compete" with the copyright owner's product. This is a case of sounds assets from a game used for the exact same purpose in another game, it's the perfect case where Fair Use DOESN'T apply.

Again, nothing will happen to this mod even if it keeps using those sounds, but it is good to remind people that just because you can find something on Internet easily doesn't make it free to use anyway they want.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:40:15 AM by Tartiflette »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »

Again, nothing will happen to this mod even if it keeps using those sounds, but it is good to remind people that just because you can find something on Internet easily doesn't make it free to use anyway they want.

My point exactly. There is no reason to continually post on other people's mods that they're all going to be sued for copyright infringement. When you do this, you're not being helpful, you're just being a jerk.

Besides, there's plenty of Star Wars/Star Trek/<insert name of IP here> game mods out there which *no one* has ever been sued for. So I don't think it's even really a danger.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »

Ehh, my perspective on this is that a mod shouldn't use other games' etc assets without permission. For example, there was a GSB mod a while back, and the author asked for and got permission to use those graphics. It would be very much not cool if they didn't, regardless of the legality of it.

Seems like this is no longer an issue here, though, so that's good :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4