Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: D as in !! Dwarf !!  (Read 6826 times)

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
D as in !! Dwarf !!
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:13:02 PM »

Does anyone play Dwarf Fortress?
does:
Remember, losing is fun.

Ring a bell, or make you cry as you bury your head into a cup of goblin-blood laced Mushroom-beer?
If you answered yes, the suicidal DwarvenlyMidget bruning might is with you!
What have people played? What have you seen? How many puppies have you slaughtered in the winter?!

Currently I've been getting back into DF and doing it Straight- as painfull as that might be -as can be. Though I do have a later version with the LNP. So, I've gotten my fort together. Multiple times, and burned, drowned, or had Fun, instances with Hippies along with other things. Often in Adventure mode it's my own curiosity that kills me really.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:38:30 AM by Azmond »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: D as in !! Dwarf !!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »

I've gotten my fort together. Multiple times, and burned, drowned, or had many fun. Fun, instances with Hippies along with other things.
You've forgotten the catsplosion. :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:43:08 PM »

Game is too complicated for me. My little brain can't handle it  :'(

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 11:46:45 PM »

Well... I tend to slaughter the kitties as fast as they breed. Though a Dogsposion is great for making enimies run in terror, espeically when I can train the dogs an have'em all pop from the wall.

SURPRISE!!! FUN TIMES FOR ALL! FUN FOR YOU, AND YOU, AND YOU, AND ME! wait... AUGHH GOD! THEY'RE EATING THE CHILDREN'S TOES! AU-HAHAHAHAHAUUGH!!!

In other news, this 8th fort lives on so far! and doing well...hides the wiki pages

Game is too complicated for me. My little brain can't handle it  :'(

Yeah, it's a bit of a pit if you don't have at least the grit to keep on trying. xD Failure, is what is it! That is the game. Die till you learn. or just keep dying and laugh manically as they all kill each other.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 02:03:50 AM »

Game is too complicated for me. My little brain can't handle it  :'(
This.
It is something I should like, but it is seriously over complexified.

I did once read an amusing story about elephants, cheese, and burning though.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 06:35:28 AM »

It's complicated, but not necessarily hard. Making an invincible, self-sustaining fortress is trivial, but where's the fun in that!? ;D

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »

I have not once in my gameplays managed to stay alive. The best game I had was when I did indeed manage to create and impenetrable fortress and then one of the Dwarves got randomly mad. He killed another Dwarf and then the madness spread faster than light.

I have played it around 12 times (could be triple since some times I would start a game and die really fast, so I do not count them) since I first found out about it before years. I definitely consider it one of the best games I have ever played and if anything, I hate hard ass games that do not let me win and give me headaches. I think the game is just so good, I can't feel hate or dislike towards it.
Ignorance is bliss..

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »

It's complicated, but not necessarily hard. Making an invincible, self-sustaining fortress is trivial, but where's the fun in that!? ;D

That's when you make Stories or open up the Fun box some 3 caverns down.
And, you're right. It's only as hard as you make it sometimes. If you craft a butt-ton of goods you'll be swampped with people. Then, lonely Neighbors will come over with pitchforks, and THEN, your dwarves all die in a frenzy of "good neighborly fun". Though, nobles are fine to have all the "Fun" they want.

Also~! That is when you retire the fort and later, that same fort with the Dwarf named "Bobo mcurist Useless" will visit the new fort. I've had it happen! xD

As far as Weltall is concerned though.
I've never managed to get even that far, though I've often gotten things fairly large that's mostly from the gush of Immigrants coming from gods know where for all my booze. and as stated above, the Neighbors tend to get lonely. And booze guzzling dwarves equal bad times if the booze is not replaced quickly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:54:30 AM by Azmond »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »

That was not far to be honest. Even if you make an impenetrable fortress, it means nothing if you can't keep stability in it. To be honest it is not that hard to make entering the fortress for the enemy impossible. But keeping happy those darn stupid (and awesome) Dwarves, is harder than fighting a legendary beast with bare fists (since I have killed one with a dwarf literally punching it to death... happened only once).

Booze was something I worried only when I started the game, since I could not manage to produce more than they drink. It was a bit easy to eventually manage that.. although I hate it when they complain about different drinks since at times I forget to make ones.. Definitely the enemy is within the fortress walls.. not outside.
Ignorance is bliss..

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:51:43 PM »

So...  I made this thread a hell a while back. and recently I've been geting in DF again once in a while (i've streamed it occasionally and some people have watched, yay).

Most recently though, I was able to seal some demons away.
The fort with how the demons are exactly sealed away and or explination of what is happening in each shot:
Spoiler

The fortress first: This is Gorgecontrol
------------------------------
This fortress was made after a dragon burned down my hippie-commune I was making on a dare from Viymese- my brother -who told me to do it. The game crashed however half-way throguh the attack and the dragon was basically killing EVERYTHING. Had it not burned the birdge down and trapped me on an island, it would've gotten in and slaughtered all my drunken-midgets with glee! So.. In the spirit of the consequences, I abandoned the fortress.

Gorgecontrol was set up to attract the dragon and in all, be a successful military fortification with segie engines and an awesome death-count. Killing goblins like no-one's business and overall being the best I could make it with squads of crossdwarves playing hammer-dwarves.
The Main hall
Spoiler
[close]
The Rooms, tombs and storage
Spoiler

[close]

However... I hit demons... I got that precious cyan stone and hit the clowns IMMEDIATELY!... well, after getting my second vain of Adimantine... either way, FUN had begun~!!!
So, panicking like a little hell-yon, I manage to seal them into the 3rd cavern.... ... They've taken my cavern now and killed my midgets. I want my midgets to have vengeance!!!
VENGEANCE~!
So, I tried, failed, tried an failed, losing about 20 dwarves, 2 mesosoups, a Tartiflet and killing Dark Rvenent once... along with some others. So, after all that. a dwarf named Zefon Megem is tasked with trying his luck... and the bastard did it. He did what 20 dwarves couldn't and now has the title "BADASS McGEE" because he was the only one to go down that hole and survive that long.
this is what he did.
Spoiler

[close]
With the demons busy in the magma, and the rest enraptured by the Bauxite hatch cover "The Hoary Warmth". Megem managed to make a wall, sealing the demons out of the cavern, but now... Now there was the entry to the cavern on the other side! Trying his luck he wandered around the cavern and got to the enternce, sealed it up, and then, the bottom where the demons' cackling an croons of awe could be heard. He walled them in. Armok smiled and the demons were sealed away! THE FORTRESS WAS SAFE!!!
It even had it's first vain of Adimantine to enjoy still!

Now that leaves me with this though. Do I retire the fortress an set up a random fortress somewhere in the world? Or do I try making an adventure and scouting around for a fortress site where I won't have damn ZINC all the time?  ... Kind'a tired of ZINC. SO MUCH ZINC!!! @~@ I keep getting zinc, i have no ores worth while expect for gold! and the fortress is BORING. It's boring now and I don't want to kill it... It's a good fort... :C  

So, what do you think I should do guys? Fortress Mode randomly somewhere hoping for no Zinc if possible? (I mean, I can't even use it for Trap components!!!)  Or do I send a singular scout out into the world and see about remembering the place on the map?

Three options for the poll and lemme know what you all think!
http://www.strawpoll.me/12920200
[close]

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 02:05:27 AM »

In a similar vein as DF, Rimworld is a much more accessible game. Still in early access, still an awesome game.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »

I haven't touched rimworld in a long time actually. Been letting it update itself more or less...

But, given that I made this thread so long ago an brought it back for Dwarf Fortress. I'm more keen on the dwarves.
Don't get me wrong though, Rimworld in its own right is pretty awesome. I just like Dwarves more.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:51:48 PM by Azmond »