Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starsector wont start - reads off vmparams file  (Read 6012 times)

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector wont start - reads off vmparams file
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »

Im not sure what i did since i cant seem to edit the file but it was working fine until i tried to allocate more ram, when i noticed for some reason i couldnt save it into starsector because i have to contact an administrator and have to save to documents instead (which ive tried to switch them out with eachother says it cant read the vmparams) which is weird because it says my account is administrator and its the only account on this computer (i tried editing it in the administrator account that comes with the computer by activating it from the command prompt and it lets me edit without saving to documents first or something) but since i couldnt edit it that means nothing ive could have done could have made this happen. im confused on what is going on.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector wont start - reads off vmparams file
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »

I'd suggest backing up any save files/mods/etc you care about, then deleting the game folder and doing a clean installation.

As far as editing vmparams, I'm not sure why it wouldn't let you. Make sure the file is not read-only, just in case.

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »

I'd suggest backing up any save files/mods/etc you care about, then deleting the game folder and doing a clean installation.

As far as editing vmparams, I'm not sure why it wouldn't let you. Make sure the file is not read-only, just in case.

how would i make sure the file is not read-only? it lets me edit it but when i try to save it it says to save it in the starsector folder i need to contact an administrator and would i like to save to documents instead... but i seem to be able to edit it with the build in administrator user so i guess i can get around this problem

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »

Right click on it, go to Properties, and there should be a checkbox for "read-only". Might need to do this to the folder, as well.

If that doesn't help, move the entire Starsector folder somewhere else (say, in a c:\games folder, or something) and try that again there.

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »

Right click on it, go to Properties, and there should be a checkbox for "read-only". Might need to do this to the folder, as well.

If that doesn't help, move the entire Starsector folder somewhere else (say, in a c:\games folder, or something) and try that again there.

nope just did that and it still says the same thing, also i just reinstalled it and its still just reading off the vmparams like an error message

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:58:44 AM »

If you are on Windows 7 go to User Accounts in your control Panel and open "Change User Account Control settings". Then choose the bottom option (Never Notify) and give your PC and restart. Try to edit the file again. Not sure if UAC works the same with with Windows 10, but with Windows 7 if I do it, it never needs me to run as an administrator when I do that and I can run everything by double clicking. If I ever get the error that it needs administrator rights, I know something else is going on.

Also check if the crc32 of your installation file is 35DEA720, just to make sure the installation file is not corrupted.

Maybe give your PC a scan with RKill and AdwCleaner in the slim chance of something bad blocking you to edit?
Ignorance is bliss..

Kell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »

i had long time the same problem, until i gave me full access about the vmparams file,  it wasn't enough to start as admin or so, i had to give full access to the user i logged in with...(!)

now i finally CAN edit the file, BUT the game doesn't start anymore, not even the launcher.
if i edit it again and set the values back to 1024 it works again, but that's no success to play with the mods... xD

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 11:09:14 AM »

it lets me edit it but when i try to save it it says to save it in the starsector folder i need to contact an administrator and would i like to save to documents instead...

this ....... would be a windows issue

never save games in c:\windows or c:\users or c:\program files\ ( or c:\program data, etc.)
in fact, i recommend never saving anything on c:\ if u can help it

(there are plenty of tutorials about partitioning your harddrive .... give it a try)
windows screws up everything you let it get its fingers into, never use a 'windows folder' if you can help it
it will save you thousands of headaches in the long run.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 02:41:36 PM »

I have a similar, if not identical problem, but it's on my hard drive (E:\)

It won't start from the icon itself, I have to use cmd in order to launch it, but as far as I recall, if I launch it from cmd, that means it won't use the allocation iirc.

EDIT - I had just figured out after re-reading the start to the Java 64 bit post that you need to copy the Java 7 folder (preferrably latest update, 80 over here in the UK) and rename it to "jre", after removing the original jre from the Starsector folder.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:54:29 PM by Takion Kasukedo »
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.