Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI-controlled omni-shields  (Read 2282 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
AI-controlled omni-shields
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:01:24 PM »

This'll be my shortest post yet! I find omni-shields difficult to use; Unlike the AI, we're unable to orient the shield in a different direction to the one in which we're pointing our guns. Having a control to hand off... control of the shield's orientation to the AI would be a godsend. It could also be a hullmod but I'm torn on that idea.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: AI-controlled omni-shields
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »

This! But, I also want to be able to assign an officer to being the second-in-command of my flagship (so I can have them auto-cautious or auto-aggressive rather than defaulting to stable), which I think should tie into it
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »

This has been suggested before many times and it is basically no. Hell, even LOCKING shields is out.
Alex post from the frequently suggested suggestions Thread:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2383.msg31090#msg31090
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »

This has been suggested before many times and it is basically no. Hell, even LOCKING shields is out.
Alex post from the frequently suggested suggestions Thread:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2383.msg31090#msg31090
Yeah, I've read that post. It addresses shield locking, not AI-controlled shields. Same issue, different solution. Setting all weapons groups to autofire was something I hadn't considered, but autofire is rescinded when you have that weapon group selected. There's a further problem with this in that if you have fixed-forward weapons, aiming by steering is much more awkward than steering by mouse, and by steering with the mouse you're also keeping the shield oriented forwards.