Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Subsystems: Hull mods, ship systems, shields, sensors & comms  (Read 1958 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile

Another (relatively) short one: Communications, sensors and certain hullmods which add functionality (Eg. Dedicated targeting core) would be subject to malfunctions and disability in the same way as engines and weapons.
If communications are disabled, no orders can be given to that ship until they're back online - furthermore, any ship that can only be "seen" by one with disabled comms would not be shared with the rest of the team (ie player). If the player's ship's comms are disabled, it would prevent giving orders to any other ship.

When sensors are disabled, the afflicted ship is unable to target enemy ships, nor can it reveal enemies on the command map, ie use its sensors.

Shields is an iffy one, potentially messing with game balance a bit too much. It'd probably have to have an extremely low chance of being disabled, or repaired relatively quick.

Ship systems (ie phase skimmer/cloak, accelerated ammo feeder etc) is equally iffy, and would probably require delicate balancing for each.

As for hull mods, it's hard to list which ones would really fit with this. DTC/ITU, Advanced Optics, ECCM are the only ones I think would be logical.

All this would go towards making EMP weapons much more dangerous, mind, as well as combat in general and low CR.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Subsystems: Hull mods, ship systems, shields, sensors & comms
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »

shields do already disable if your CR gets low enough

......an intriguingly interesting idea otherwise.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 11:22:14 AM »

Oh cool, I wasn't aware, though as far as I've experienced they can't be damaged by enemy fire. Still torn on it balance wise; When everything else is failing, the shield is usually the last thing that can help you survive, and having that subject to weapons fire might make such situations too punishing.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 05:59:15 PM »

Ship systems (ie phase skimmer/cloak,...

I am now envisioning phase ships running the risk of exploding / vanishing into non-existance if the phase drive is activated while EMP'd. You could have the phase coils glow red (or the ship glow red) a la the Entropy special ability while the phase drive is turned off, thus making it more obvious to the player that phase jumping is a bad idea. And then maybe code for the AI to not use the phase while 'phase disabled', unless they're aggressive officer AI.