Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Brexit Wins  (Read 14996 times)

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
Brexit Wins
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:30:58 AM »

This is why I should stay out of political "debates" lol.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:22:22 PM by Kevin Flemming »

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit Wins
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:49:12 AM »

Well let's hope this is a step forward for britain and not a leap backwards.
I have a feeling Britain isn't gonna be the only country leaving the EU btw.
Netherlands, france and sweden also have alot of anti-eu people.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:28 AM »

Well this was to be expected. the people that voted : "stay" are upset that they didn't win. people will try to find excuses
Whats done is done. What we all can do is hope for the best and that this won't have major negative effects for britain or the EU
Who knows this all might blow over and end up being good for the majority of the people.

Between you and me: I do kind of have a bad feeling about this for some reason. :-\

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:44:12 AM »

Huzzah. Britain exercised its democratic right to self determination. For right or wrong, today, democracy is victorious. And what a victory against the appointed bureaucrats of Brussels.

This is HUGE. I can't stress enough how big this is though. Not merely will the face of British politics be changed forever (Cameron resigns, Corbyn is on no-confidence), but the EU itself is now going to be barraged by referendum requests by its members. This is the biggest event in Europe for decades.

Very exciting.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 05:21:59 AM »

I was a Brexiteer too young to vote by just two days. My elation is beyond words.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:35:44 AM »

It will definitely be interesting to see where this all goes.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:42:24 AM »

I hardly think the EU will be "barraged by exit referedums". Not with the major hit to their economy the UK is curently taking (250b€ to save the banks from their troubles with the stock market this morning? Really? Two months after cutting disability pensions for 4.5b€ because UK "couldn't afford it"???) Or with Scotland reconsidering it's independence referendum. Unless they recover fast, I don't see anyone following in their footsteps. Also, you can expect the EU to negociate their exit in really harsh terms, both to get a positive economic balance out of this and also discourage other countries from leaving.

Also in France the Anti-EU parties did 13% last elections, so it is nothing comparable to what hapened in the UK.

What I do expect however is that people might take a closer look to the european elections in general and maybe even push toward changing a bit how it currently work.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:50:09 AM »

I can't see this ending well, but only the future can tell.

I can see the UK dissolving into only England and Wales, and maybe Northern Ireland. Scottland is going to leave for sure, though it might take some time.

Sad to see the future of the youth that voted ~70% for Remain, decided by the generation that won't be alive to see the impact of their decision. All the best to the UK <3

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 08:30:36 AM »

I hardly think the EU will be "barraged by exit referedums". Not with the major hit to their economy the UK is curently taking (250b€ to save the banks from their troubles with the stock market this morning? Really? Two months after cutting disability pensions for 4.5b€ because UK "couldn't afford it"???) Or with Scotland reconsidering it's independence referendum. Unless they recover fast, I don't see anyone following in their footsteps. Also, you can expect the EU to negociate their exit in really harsh terms, both to get a positive economic balance out of this and also discourage other countries from leaving.

Also in France the Anti-EU parties did 13% last elections, so it is nothing comparable to what hapened in the UK.

What I do expect however is that people might take a closer look to the european elections in general and maybe even push toward changing a bit how it currently work.

UKIP won only 1 seat and 4M votes in the 2015 General Election. Brexit won by over 1M votes, a turnout of 70%, and 17M votes overall. Times change. The EU has a lot to handle.

I've been speaking with people all day from all across the world. Britain is halved between elation in victory, and disgusting hatefulness towards the democratic choices of others. And Europe? I've spoken to some who are laughing at Britain (and Britain laughs back at them), and others saying 'when's our turn'?
The EU will try to suppress it but the fact is simple - Britain voted out. Brexit happened. Remain was not able to woo with the status quo.
We have stepped through the mystery door. How exciting.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:08:57 AM »

Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »

That is very annoying to look at >:(

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »

I'm not convinced it'll happen tbh.

51.89% vs 48.11% is far too close to be considered a strong mandate. (only 37.44% of the electorate actually voted to leave)

I envisage 2 possible courses:

1) General election in October, with 1 major party offering to repeal the referendum result. (16M votes will easily win a UK general election)
or
2) Due to the weak mandate, the negotiations will be slow & cautious, and will result in a 2nd referendum on the precise terms of the separation. This period will cause enormous upheaval & cost, but will hopefully knock some sense into the electorate, allowing a reversal of the decision.

Whatever happens, the UK needs to reform its electoral system.
First past the post is terrible, and using referendums to reverse major political decisions without requiring an absolute majority is idiotic.
Of course the 1 recent attempt at electoral reform failed because.... *sigh* voter ignorance?

Quote from: Nigel Farage(May, 2016)
In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way.

So it looks like Farage along with 2.6 Million people are already supporting a 2nd referendum:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:51:32 PM by TJJ »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 01:02:20 PM »

Personal preference to staying in or out. I'm completely on the fence, hence why I didn't vote.

This is an enormous mistake.

You simply can't be on the fence in such a far reaching decision; the result WILL(does) effect you, so you MUST(should have) vote(d).

If you are happy with the status quo, you vote IN.
If you are unhappy with the status quo (and think leaving the EU will improve things), you vote OUT.

Referendums should either be mandatory voting, or require an absolute majority.
Otherwise you get stupid *** like this happening, where the populist vote gets levied resulting in the passive majority being dragged along by a vocal minority.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:48:20 PM by TJJ »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 01:23:36 PM »

An interesting part of this is that the simple question was 'in or out'.

Not sure how they can reasonably decide what that means when it comes to the negotiations. Going to get very messy I think - and the 'winners' will (hopefully) quickly become 'losers' when they realise they can't easily deliver any of the practical effects they were alluding to making throughout the campaign and the electorate will hopefully make them pay for their demagoguery.

An interesting piece of information on Radio 4 today - apparently they have 10-20 people in civil service with the relevant experience to deal with international type trade negotiations - and estimate is that they need 100 or so. So (I assume) that means either; status quo access to free market and take free movement (limited negotiations needed); or we take 20 yrs to bring in the right deals. Either won't align with the campaigning rhetoric. First one is fine by me though.

I backed the losing side in this, but I feel like we've made our decision and we need to live with it. Might be a lesson to the younger generation about the importance of voting and making reasoned decisions about your vote.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »

If you think I should have voted, fine that's up to you. But don't tell me what to do, thank you very much. I chose not to vote because, as I clearly said, I didn't know enough information and felt no preference between the two. I felt right by my decision and that's all that matters. I would appreciate it if you didn't make this about me and kept your posts clear of any harassment about my decision.

For a bit of fun ;)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-should-vote-eu-referendum-7432734

(Not endorsing the Mirror, it was simply the 1st hit for a Google of "should I vote in or out")
Pages: [1] 2 3