Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Branding/Customizing ships  (Read 6917 times)

Rygart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Branding/Customizing ships
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

I'd love to be able to make my ships have some type of logo and custom paint job. Just a simple slider deal would be nice. While not important, it adds a bit of immersion to be able to brand your ships with a company logo and paint job. At least to me.

Anyone else agree?

(I'd like to point out that this, being a faction based game, is sorely lacking in even generic cosmetic customization.)
"A future you desire is worthless." -Kyoshiro Tohdoh

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Branding/Customizing ships
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »

I support. This is really cool.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »

Yes to paint jobs. I'm a sucker for neo-gothic black and gold designs.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:17:10 PM »

Oh jeebus yuss. I would love this, as I would really like an orange-blue-white color scheme ala KTM motorcycles, if at all possible. I don't think it would be too hard to implement other than some color sliders determining the hues of the ships, with various sections to color? Also, would this *** of the art guy?
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »

Also, it would be nice to be able to set our "prefix" and what it stands for, and have ships automatically rename their prefixes. Currently I use CAT, which stands for Catan Allied Terrae ("terrae" is the plural of "terra", which is a large body of land or a planet). I always liked Settlers of Catan as a kid, so I use Catan in a lot of names. (Also, I like cats, as evidenced by my username)
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Spartan114

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »

Yes to paint jobs. I'm a sucker for neo-gothic black and gold designs.

Black and gold, oh god yes. Or shiny black and orange.

White, black and orange even. SO MANY CHOICES

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:07:04 AM »

ships should be black and blue... for obvious reasons :P
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Rygart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:55:40 AM »

White and Gold with a heraldric lion head that's a faded red. Those are my colors and company logo.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who would enjoy a bit of customization.
"A future you desire is worthless." -Kyoshiro Tohdoh

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »

I like this idea.  I dunno if decals all over the ship would be good, but even some sort of color picker for stripes on your ship would be a big improvement.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »

I think having some way to put a mask over the ship would be best. That way you could upload your own and just import it into the game, without requiring Alex or the other devs to handpaint every single ship variant, or work with a bland color palette or slider.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »

Also, it would be nice to be able to set our "prefix" and what it stands for, and have ships automatically rename their prefixes. Currently I use CAT, which stands for Catan Allied Terrae ("terrae" is the plural of "terra", which is a large body of land or a planet). I always liked Settlers of Catan as a kid, so I use Catan in a lot of names. (Also, I like cats, as evidenced by my username)
Yeah, haha. I +1 that.

All of this being strictly lower priority than cool campaign features...  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »

I think having some way to put a mask over the ship would be best. That way you could upload your own and just import it into the game, without requiring Alex or the other devs to handpaint every single ship variant, or work with a bland color palette or slider.

This would only work for people who have an idea of what you're talking about.

I know enough to know that I'm too dumb and too lazy to bother with that.  Most players will also be dumb and lazy but would still enjoy a pretty paint job.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:57 AM »

The game could have a few preset ones too, that you could just select. I just want the ability to put gold trim exactly where I want it. Also, I don't think you give people enough credit.

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:23 AM »

The game could have a few preset ones too, that you could just select. I just want the ability to put gold trim exactly where I want it. Also, I don't think you give people enough credit.

I dunno...if you're talking about some weird alpha mask or photoshoppy terms, then I think I'm giving people plenty of credit.  If you have to modify stuff outside of the game, that's automatically a big hit to what the majority of players can or would do, in terms of customization.  ESPECIALLY for a single player game.  If it was multiplayer, people would probably go to greater lengths for customization.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »

There's already a ship modding tool around, making one where you color inside the lines of a ship ought to be much simpler. Or within the same ballpark of simplicity.

Pages: [1] 2