Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weapon Flux/Second is misleading or completely wrong?  (Read 8633 times)

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Weapon Flux/Second is misleading or completely wrong?
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:19:25 AM »

I noticed this only because of safety override scarabs (because i can actually be sure of dodging) but either the values are completely wrong or completely misleading (seems the same with other weapons tooo)

antimatter blaster states that its flux per second is 146 (which is lower than IR pulse laser) yet firing one almost maxes out a scarabs capacitors!!!!!! even with over 600 flux dissipation!!!!!!!!!!

what i think is happening is that because the fire rate is so slow, flux per shot would give a more accurate impression than flux/sec because it seems like burst damage is currently only possible with missiles because the flux based burst damage is more likely to overload the player than the opponent because the flux used is burst too and NOT flux per second as described.

if my guesses are correct:
can the correct information please be added to the descriptions so players know how large to make their caps to use flux burst without needing a calculator at their sides?

or can the shot reload please be changed to a flux per second as the descriptions describe rather than a one off cost as it seems to be implemented as despite the description? (with the weapon reload progress bar already implemented, this should not be a challenge ... if (weapon_reloading) { flux_upkeep+=weapon_flux_cost; } you could even pause the reload bar when there isn't enough flux dissipation available to keep reloading.

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Flux/Second is misleading or completely wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:35:17 AM »

This seems oddly complicated, and, it's neither misleadin, or completely wrong. The numbers basically work, it's your capacity that's the problem. You can see the exact stats on the weapon themselves, and if if you have enough capacity to handle your alphastrike (and don't use shields at all...) then you can just balance your dissipation and come out even. If you have a flux-hungry weapon with a high reload, it's usually not something you want to be fireing 24/7 anyways. I like saving my AM shots for either cracking the last bit of a shield after a knife-fight, or softening up Armour for my flack weapons after I've cracked said shield. AM blasters are by no means a primary weapon, though you can build a flagship around them, you almost need some other form of weaponry. (I don't recall the scarab off the top of my head, so I dunno if that's possible for you) that flux per second is how much dissapation you'd need to be able to fire it whenever it has ammo and is off cool-down.

TL;DR
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

use weapons as intended to get intended results, stuff isn't misleading, and the opposite of what you're asking for is already given, thus it's personal preference.
~Aura be with you

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:58:09 AM »

(Flux per second / Damage per second) x Damage per shot = Flux per shot
Flux per second x (Fire-rate / 60) = Flux per shot

It's not that hard to get a reasonable approximation at glance.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:57:05 AM »

Smile, so my assumptions were correct.

The problem is not that it is 'difficult' to calculate the flux per shot value, i already stated in my OP that its doable.

The problem is that the way the information is currently formatted and presented to the player, the player has NO IDEA that he NEEDS to calculate a flux per shot amount. I have been playing for 2 weeks or so and its taken me this long to work out why all of my configs which all have 'enough' flux dissipation to dissipate the complete cost of my weapons STILL causes soft flux.

The tutorial, the gui, the hints, the codex ..... NOTHING indicates to a new player that weapon flux is instant and based on a number that is not represented anywhere visible and that they need to expect a flux build up EVEN when they have enough flux dissipation to cover the weapon costs (having enough flux dissipation IS a hint, but it doesnt explain that there will STILL be flux buildup in the short term even then)

So either the gui needs to be changed to represent how the game works, or the game needs to be changed to work how the gui represents.

(edit)
a new player as things are currently displayed will expect that if they have enough flux dis to cover shield costs and weapon costs that ALL of the capacitance will be for absorbing enemy damage and then they shoot and take 1 hit and overload and think THEY made a mistake. and redo everything and have THE EXACT SAME problem recur because they are forced into making inaccurate assumptions.
all because things are not explained.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:02:40 AM by borgrel »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 04:19:15 AM »

Not even flux per shot is ideal for computing peak flux, as there exist weapons that fire salvos.

The ideal solution is to graph the flux generation against time, over the duration of a complete firing cycle.
Though even that wouldn't help much in designing a ship.

Ultimately the ship designer gives you the simulator to test and evaluate the effectiveness of individual weapons and the ship designs that utilise them.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 04:40:31 AM »

I'd imagine the average member of the SS target audience would be able to figure out what's going on within the first two times they fire a high flux/shot weapon...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 05:47:58 AM »

The one weapon where flux per shot would be very useful is antimatter blaster.  That would be useful to know so that a player knows how much capacity he needs to fire one, two, or more blasters.

It would be also handy for a few other burst weapons like needlers and phase lance.

Maybe a weapon can have a flag to show flux-per-shot or flux-per-burst.

RealFear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »

I think a simple flux per shot would be fine, even with burst weapons, as long as burst weapons tell you how many shots are fired each time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »

Yeah, I've been meaning to update the weapon tooltip at some point, and having a "flux/shot" value would be good there. At the same time, I don't want to make it too complicated, at some point more numbers becomes less informative, especially to someone new.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 12:24:42 PM »

Yeah, I've been meaning to update the weapon tooltip at some point, and having a "flux/shot" value would be good there. At the same time, I don't want to make it too complicated, at some point more numbers becomes less informative, especially to someone new.

I hope you don't just replace the flux/second number with a flux/shot number. Both are extremely useful for two distinct types of weapons. Kind of like how Fallout: New Vegas it turned out that weapon damage had to be presented in two ways to be useful-- dps and alpha strike damage
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »

If space has to be conserved, maybe flux/shot or flux/second can be put on a weapon tooltip based on if a weapons fire rate; flux/second for a firing rate of more than once a second and flux/shot for a firing rate of a second or more.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »

If you have flux/shot and shots/minute stats, that should be enough. Flux/sec is not an ideal stat because it doesn't accurately reflect burst costs at all. Flux/shot is always accurate and conversion over time is much easier in this direction rather than the other one.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 07:30:46 PM »

But then you have situations where the flux/second does work, specifically with beam weapons like tactical and PD lasers and Graviton Beams, or the Templar's Juger Cannon, or perhaps weapons that chuck out continuous stream of bullets like shredders and Vulcan cannons. So maybe a different kind of weapon damage depending on weapon type, with beam or spray weapons having the flux per second.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »

Flux/second is what I use to determine the flux costs of most weapons in mid to late game. Its more important than flux per shot, which is only useful to know in corner cases like antimatter blasters. In fact I don't think there are any other weapons where I'd rather have easy access to the flux per shot than flux per second.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 02:59:37 PM »

Phase lance and maybe light and heavy needlers.  Those weapons fire one burst every few seconds, and flux spikes when they fire.  The needlers may be flux-efficient, but they consume all flux in an instant, and I have been burned by sudden unexpected spikes of flux usage.

Flux/second is useful for most weapons, but few benefit more from flux/shot.
Pages: [1] 2