Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Export ship designs(to Steam Workshop)  (Read 2204 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Export ship designs(to Steam Workshop)
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:52:05 AM »

I find my self want to keep ships designs to use on other characters, would be really neat if there was a button to export ship designs to a file in the ship designer

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Export ship designs(to Steam Workshop)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:57:17 AM »

I get the feeling you are talking about a different game altogether, because starsector dosn't have a "ship designer", ship variants(probably what you meant) however, are saved across all characters until you delete it either in the refit screen or in the variant folder.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:58:10 AM »

ship variants(probably what you meant) however, are saved across all characters until you delete it either in the refit screen or in the variant folder.

I don't think this is true, there are stock variants which are same across the board, but individual saved variants don't seem to be available for other characters.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »

Not having to recreate designs would be neat, but there's that little problem of character skills & weapon availability.
If you don't have the weapons available, or the hull mods unlocked, or the ordnance point boosting techs, a variant design that relies upon them is useless.

That said, saved variant designs outside of the campaign (where weapon availability & character skills are not a consideration) ARE shared between missions.
Being able to share these via the Steam Workshop would be a neat feature.

It'd also be nice if there was forum support for them; export them as a simple String (hex encoded) to the clipboard, paste them into the forums in an appropriate tag & have the forum generate some nice html that presents it like the in-game ship design screen.

Code
[variant]myCoolVarient:34B4E2F2DA49898FFE3[/variant]

Tbh we could do this ourselves with a fairly simple game mod + web host to generate an image based upon the String.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18:12 AM »

That would be so cool!