Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 85

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.15.1  (Read 1108095 times)

Julio Montega

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.11.0
« Reply #750 on: August 20, 2020, 02:06:58 AM »

Vulture is a fast cruiser because its unmodified speed beats every vanilla cruiser, and most destroyers while it's at it.  It's as hard to kite as a Falcon.  The PD drones are a throwback that allows it to have some ablative defense and some added kick in a knife fight (those drones do a lot of kinetic damage).

My biggest gripe with the PD drones is that you only have 2 charges, unlike fighters, they don't refill over time using the fighter readyness mechanic.
On the other hand they don't generate flux, keeping you from the sweet 0-flux boost.

Yeah they can add a lot of punch, but they also are shred very easily, imo way too easy.

As a pirate i have the natural urge to rip out that hangar and install an even bigger engine, hardwired to a big red button on the bridge.
That ship is tough and fast, a perfect choice for being a cruiser used for lightning strikes, if it had the burn drive or the falcon's maneuvering jets.
I love the weapon layout, it just needs to be pirate refit to be perfect (which i did in my game files) ;)

JohnVicres

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 22, 2020, 07:38:31 AM »

There are a lot of good ideas in those suggestions, including the vanilla tweaks, JohnVicres. Do you feel like making a mini-mod with those, dependent on having a SWP install? I'm betting other users would enjoy those changes as well.
I did consider doing that, actually. Guess I'll scrounge these changes together and publish them then!

FIRE_AKA_DRAZN

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 29, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »

This may have been mentioned before, but is there a way/process for just adding the new ship hulls with this mod?  Specifically minus the weapons.

Making a personal mod-pack that has vanilla combat/weapons with some tweaks, but as many new ship hulls as I can cram in.

Tried simply removing the folders relating to weapons in the data master folder, and the one in the scripts folder but encountered an error, probably unsurprisingly.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 29, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »

This may have been mentioned before, but is there a way/process for just adding the new ship hulls with this mod?  Specifically minus the weapons.

Making a personal mod-pack that has vanilla combat/weapons with some tweaks, but as many new ship hulls as I can cram in.

Tried simply removing the folders relating to weapons in the data master folder, and the one in the scripts folder but encountered an error, probably unsurprisingly.

You'd have to go through and clean up any references that are shared between ships and weapons. This will be the case for any ships that have built-in unique weapons, such as the Excelsior's cannons, the Cathedral's missile, the Vindicator's Gungnir cannon, etc. You'd also have to change every single ship variant file that uses a weapon from the mod to use a vanilla equivalent.

Your checklist of things to do is basically:
- Pick out all MODULAR ONLY weapons added by the mod
- Remove their blueprint tags in weapon_data.csv (this should prevent them from being used by any factions who have weapons allocated by tag)
- For those weapons that are picked on a singular basis, you'll also have to check each and every faction file for references to that weapon, and remove (comment out) that reference
- Go through each and every variant file in SWP and replace all references to mod weapons with an equivalent vanilla weapon

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm real out of practise at the moment and I'm likely to be missing something important. AND I know SWP has a lot of cool integrated functions which means a lot of mechanics you can't simply remove by "deleting them", they will have functions referenced in scripts elsewhere that will likely be a pain to trawl through and clean up for every weapon. This is something you'd want to do one weapon at a time.

Put simply, this is a LOT of work, and I don't know why you'd bother just to play with vanilla-only weapons, especially for something like SWP who's weapons are pretty vanilla-alike already. ??? But hey, to each their own.

I wish you luck. You'll need it.

FIRE_AKA_DRAZN

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 29, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »

Put simply, this is a LOT of work, and I don't know why you'd bother just to play with vanilla-only weapons, especially for something like SWP who's weapons are pretty vanilla-alike already. ??? But hey, to each their own.

I wish you luck. You'll need it.

Damn, was hoping this might have been simpler.  The reason I wanted vanilla only weapons is because I planned to use the missiles and sundry mod which unfortunately doesn't change any modded weapons.  Would end up with all vanilla missiles capable of reloading but all mod missiles not being able to, which would be very weird.  I suppose since missiles are the only issue that would reduce the workload, but may be easier and produce a better result to just edit the missiles in SWP to match Missiles and Sundry instead...  Still a lot more work than I had in mind though

With this being the case though I guess I don't have much other option other than to drop the missiles mod or just deal with the weirdness  :-\

Thanks for the breakdown though, this might be useful if I decide to get into Starsector modding  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 03:17:43 PM by FIRE_AKA_DRAZN »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #755 on: August 29, 2020, 09:06:51 PM »

The easiest method is to edit the weapons.csv file to remove all of the blueprint tags from every weapon.  This will keep them in the game, technically, but they won't be to spawn in the world.

JohnVicres

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 30, 2020, 08:20:38 AM »

The easiest method is to edit the weapons.csv file to remove all of the blueprint tags from every weapon.  This will keep them in the game, technically, but they won't be to spawn in the world.
But won't they still show up through the ship variants that use the weapons?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 30, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »

But won't they still show up through the ship variants that use the weapons?

Variants are interfactional just as default ship roles. When game generates a fleet for some faction, ships are picked by the role among known hulls BPs. Then actual loadouts created based on variant. If it contains any weapons/LPC/hullmods not known by faction - they are relapsed with known ones*. Then some random changes applied to ensure it won't be identical** twin of the rest of the ships of that type and variant. That is not a real sequence game actually use, rather simplified and shortened version with some steps being swapped for easier understanding.

*Theoretically.

**Identical loadouts are happens sometime. Especially if faction does have very few hulls/weapons/hullmods in a known list.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 05, 2020, 04:45:14 AM »

this happened many times when i was playing arcade mode and also happening on HVBPlus.
Cristarium boss causes crash but not everytime, it is most likely causing crash when its sucking up too much firepower from hostile ships

Spoiler
1133267 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at data.scripts.weapons.AL_RailGunOnHit.onHit(AL_RailGunOnHit.java:30)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.BallisticProjectile.setDidDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.BallisticProjectile.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at data.scripts.shipsystems.SWP_PrismaticRayStats$MegaArc.advance(SWP_PrismaticRayStats.java:413)
   at data.scripts.shipsystems.SWP_PrismaticRayStats$MegaArc.access$100(SWP_PrismaticRayStats.java:350)
   at data.scripts.shipsystems.SWP_PrismaticRayStats.apply(SWP_PrismaticRayStats.java:109)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.systems.F.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »

I'm guessing AL_Railgun is an ApproLight weapon, so the bug would be in that mod, not this one.

Worachot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 07, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »

where do i find the vortex carrier ships? been spamming independent systems but they never sell it.
am i looking at the wrong places or am i just unlucky? Thanks!

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 07, 2020, 08:24:19 PM »

Yeah, you have been looking in the wrong place. Persean League and Tri-Tachyon markets will have it.

Worachot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 08, 2020, 12:48:19 AM »

Yeah, you have been looking in the wrong place. Persean League and Tri-Tachyon markets will have it.

aah >_< thanks!

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 20, 2020, 04:56:20 AM »

Hello!

First and foremost, I love all the new ships and weapons this mod brings and I am eager to see what awaits in store in the future.

I am here however to talk about the Beholder, an 11 FP Tri-Tachyon Destroyer  and how rather disappointing it is compared to virtually everything in the same price range, the reasons are quite straightforward:

1)  The speed of the ship is just so, so painful and is the main reason why the ship both struggles to do damage and is incredibly prone to getting singled out and torn apart both by smaller ships that easily flank it and virtually all the bigger ships that are either faster or have more weapon range

2) The Beholder has such pitiful flux dissipation I had to install Stabilized shields and invest all my leftover points in vents for the bloody thing to both fire its measly two graviton beams and 4 LR PD lasers and keep the shields up.

3) The weapon arcs are as damning to the ship (even against fighter swarms) as its poor mobility when it comes to being useful against anything but 100% fighter/bomber spam (Stormhawk republic comes to mind).

4) It has not one bloody weapon that can fire backwards in order to cover the ass of the ship, wich obviously comes with a FRONTAL SHIELD

The setup that sort of makes it work for me is the following:

1) Converted hangar bay to install an Athame wing (the ones with a miniature tac laser) for both extra IMMA FIRING MUH LAZUR power and vital PD defence outside the frontal arc

2)Extreme modifications (from extra hullmods mod) combined with automated repair unit to net me an extra 6 OP. The ship can handle the frequent malfunctions anyway.

3) Improved optics, stabilized shields and hardened shields to give it as much staying power as possible

4) 2 grav beams and 4 LR PDs as weaponry

5) the remaining OP is spent in having just enough venting to constantly fire and keep the shields up at the same time, the rest is in flux capacity.

Will write what I think could be modified to make the thing actually flexible and fun to use in another post. Phone battery is dying xD
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:58:32 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 20, 2020, 09:45:09 AM »

Alright, phone's recharged!

Where was I..uh..oh!

I guess giving this discussion another list (i like lists by the way :P) about the possible ways the Beholder could actually be relevant in a fleet outside very niche scenarios

Option 1: Dedicated PD destroyer

This change would mainly focus on actually reducing the OP efforts required to not get the damn thing butchered by simple rocket pods.
Having the Beholder getting Dedicated Point Defence AI as a preinstalled ModSpec would be swell (does it even affact the taclaser drones by the way?) maybe even increase the stock flux dissipation between 50 and 100 too?
It would still be painfully slow but you would at least have a bit more OP left to cover whatever thing bothered you most about it.

Option 2 : Versatile (albeit slower) Laser Destroyer

This option would not funnel the destroyer in any specialized role since it's only got energy hardpoints to start with and opting for anything but long range with this is just asking for D-mods.

I would axe the armor since it does almost nothing anyway, increase the base speed by 15-20, give it a small flux distribution buff (max 50), give it Improved optics for dat LAZUR range already installed and change the shield into omni while also extending it to 180.

This could be too many buffs actually, maybe don't change the shield.

Option 3: Much shield, very wow

The only thing that could be bothering me more than the lack of mobility would be how hopeless the beholder is when it gets pressured.,This work solve that.

Half the shield upkeep, make it Omni, extend it to 180° and also improve its efficiency while also giving the flux dissipation a minor buff. This is probably the best way to make it viable if we consider the horrendous mobility and questionable armor to be part of the Beholder's character.

I...I think that was everything in my head about the Beholder. Do have a good day and read you soon :)
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 85