Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.97a] GraphicsLib 1.9.0  (Read 759180 times)

zacharywere

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] GraphicsLib 1.6.0
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2021, 07:29:29 PM »

i cant use this mod cuz of shader thing please fix it

[attachment deleted by admin]

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2021, 07:39:29 PM »

...have you tried following the instructions in the message box you screenshotted?

(If the issue is that you don't know where the options file mentioned is, ask that. The answer is: in the root of the GraphicsLib folder.)

ApolloStarsector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2021, 08:09:05 PM »

New info: I've discovered that the game is only using a single CPU thread, and the GPU usage is low (as expected). I'm only getting 30-40 fps in a battle with 600 DP.

Setting priority to high via task manager did nothing. I noticed on the "set affinity" tab that the java process is set to use all 16 threads.

Edit: corrected "core" to "thread". I quickly read more and realized that the game is only supposed to run on one CPU core, aside from music and a few other things. However, is it possible that this is the real bottleneck? Should it be using two threads, since that's one core?

My CPU is i7 11700K. Ty for any advice / info. Or happy to provide more info.

Edit2: just went into bios and turned on "gaming mode" for the CPU. It bumped the core voltage up (instead of auto) and set the CPU fan high, plus made some multiplier changes (if I said that correctly). End result was my FPS doubled to about 60 in the same fight that I tested previously. Still baffled by 0% idle during paused combat, though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:36:28 PM by ApolloStarsector »

zacharywere

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2021, 08:16:12 PM »

...have you tried following the instructions in the message box you screenshotted?

(If the issue is that you don't know where the options file mentioned is, ask that. The answer is: in the root of the GraphicsLib folder.)
i tryed all the options but the launcher option cuz i idk where it is

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2021, 10:08:41 PM »

I just personally verified that both .ini options correctly disable the crash in GraphicsLib 1.6.0, so I can only assume you didn't do it right.

Options menu is accessed from the launcher (the window with the "Play Starsector" button). It's also the menu needed to turn on antialiasing in the first place, unless you messed with aaSamplesOverride in the game's settings.json file.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2021, 11:47:20 PM »

New info: I've discovered that the game is only using a single CPU thread, and the GPU usage is low (as expected). I'm only getting 30-40 fps in a battle with 600 DP.

Setting priority to high via task manager did nothing. I noticed on the "set affinity" tab that the java process is set to use all 16 threads.

Edit: corrected "core" to "thread". I quickly read more and realized that the game is only supposed to run on one CPU core, aside from music and a few other things. However, is it possible that this is the real bottleneck? Should it be using two threads, since that's one core?

My CPU is i7 11700K. Ty for any advice / info. Or happy to provide more info.

Edit2: just went into bios and turned on "gaming mode" for the CPU. It bumped the core voltage up (instead of auto) and set the CPU fan high, plus made some multiplier changes (if I said that correctly). End result was my FPS doubled to about 60 in the same fight that I tested previously. Still baffled by 0% idle during paused combat, though.

A 3080 has many times more VRAM than is necessary to use GraphicsLib, so I really have no idea why having the mod enabled (in and of itself) is affecting your idle %.  That said, the idle % metric can be really misleading.  As long as your frame rate is acceptable, that's really the only thing that matters.

Starsector is inherently CPU-bottlenecked in that it only uses one thread; nothing short of a significant rewrite could utilize multiple threads in a meaningful way.  11th gen Intel CPUs tend to run blazing hot when they're utilized to the fullest, which is probably why your motherboard has a separate "gaming mode".  It's probably an enhanced variant of  "Multi-Core Enhancement", which essentially disables your CPU's TDP limits and lets it run as hot/power-hungry as possible.  As you saw, it's a huge boost in performance, especially for CPU-bound games like Starsector.

As for GraphicsLib, having shaders enabled WILL affect performance, even if you're not GPU-limited.  The reason for this is that, as Starsector is single-threaded, the extra graphics API calls are also made on that one thread, so there's more work for the CPU to do.  The performance cost is generally around 15-30%, depending on your exact settings/situation.

Could you set up a standard test (say, a campaign battle that you can deploy-all, then zoom out and wait a few seconds, and then record the frame rate)?  You'd want to test these scenarios:
1. Framerate with GraphicsLib disabled
2. Framerate with GraphicsLib enabled
3. Framerate with GraphicsLib enabled but after the battle starts you disable shaders by pressing pause/break

ApolloStarsector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2021, 10:12:31 AM »

A 3080 has many times more VRAM than is necessary to use GraphicsLib, so I really have no idea why having the mod enabled (in and of itself) is affecting your idle %.  That said, the idle % metric can be really misleading.  As long as your frame rate is acceptable, that's really the only thing that matters.

Starsector is inherently CPU-bottlenecked in that it only uses one thread; nothing short of a significant rewrite could utilize multiple threads in a meaningful way.  11th gen Intel CPUs tend to run blazing hot when they're utilized to the fullest, which is probably why your motherboard has a separate "gaming mode".  It's probably an enhanced variant of  "Multi-Core Enhancement", which essentially disables your CPU's TDP limits and lets it run as hot/power-hungry as possible.  As you saw, it's a huge boost in performance, especially for CPU-bound games like Starsector.

As for GraphicsLib, having shaders enabled WILL affect performance, even if you're not GPU-limited.  The reason for this is that, as Starsector is single-threaded, the extra graphics API calls are also made on that one thread, so there's more work for the CPU to do.  The performance cost is generally around 15-30%, depending on your exact settings/situation.

Could you set up a standard test (say, a campaign battle that you can deploy-all, then zoom out and wait a few seconds, and then record the frame rate)?  You'd want to test these scenarios:
1. Framerate with GraphicsLib disabled
2. Framerate with GraphicsLib enabled
3. Framerate with GraphicsLib enabled but after the battle starts you disable shaders by pressing pause/break

Thank you for your insightful reply. Good points all around. I started to perform the tests as you suggested (and I decreased the max combat zoom to 3.0), and I realized that without the speedup mod doing 1-100x, the FPS remained close to 144, including some idling (not that it matters particularly much, as you pointed out). With the speedup mod doing 1-100x, the FPS remained above 60 with a battle size of 600 and max zoomed out to 3.0. I'm actually happy with that, now that I've made the adjustments to the bios as I mentioned previously. Especially considering that the whole thing is practically running on one thread!

I've also realized that I can bump up the minimum target frame rate in the speedup ini so that I can maintain a higher FPS, which I plan to do. Thanks again.

JustThatGoo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] GraphicsLib 1.5.1
« Reply #202 on: December 31, 2021, 07:25:28 PM »

The "antialiasing" used by Starsector is actually used as a form of supersampling.  If you run at 100%, 200%, or 300% screen scaling, "antialiasing" doesn't do anything.  If you have to run at some other screen scaling value, then you definitely need "antialiasing" as high as possible, or everything will be a blurfest.  This mostly affects people with 1440p displays, though personally on my 1440p display I just run in a 1080p window at 100% scaling.

What are the shaders and post-processing that I will be missing out on by disabling them? I don't like how blurry the ships/weapons etc. get at 140% screen scaling on my 2560x1440p monitor without AA, but I also don't want to set it to 1080p so 100% scaling is usable as it also introduces different issues (A different type of pixelation blur, lower quality etc.). I run a heavily modded game so I'm assuming a lot of the mods that require GraphicsLib won't look as good or have missing effects. Is there really no other alternative?

ApolloStarsector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2021, 11:43:06 PM »

Depends how much you're zooming in. The shaders are often indistinguishable from on-to-off at first glance, but certain well-made normal maps make the details pop on many ships, depending on the lighting.

It sounds like crispness and scale is a higher priority for you. I would simply disable the shaders / use AA compatability mode, if I were you.

Edit: I defer to DarkRev on AA, obviously!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 12:04:28 PM by ApolloStarsector »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.95a] GraphicsLib 1.5.1
« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2022, 11:17:27 AM »

What are the shaders and post-processing that I will be missing out on by disabling them? I don't like how blurry the ships/weapons etc. get at 140% screen scaling on my 2560x1440p monitor without AA, but I also don't want to set it to 1080p so 100% scaling is usable as it also introduces different issues (A different type of pixelation blur, lower quality etc.). I run a heavily modded game so I'm assuming a lot of the mods that require GraphicsLib won't look as good or have missing effects. Is there really no other alternative?

If your monitor is big enough to run at 100% scaling at 1440p (i.e. you can still read text comfortably), you won't need antialiasing.  It's only when you have a scaling factor other than a multiple of 100 that AA does anything.  This is because "antialiasing" in this context is really a form of multisampling, an archaic form of the same principle that allows things like DLSS in modern AAA games to scale up the screen from a lower base resolution.  Basically, if you set scaling to 100%, the game will run at a native 1440p resolution instead of running ~1080p and scaling up.

If 100% scaling results in text that's too small to comfortably read,  I suggest disabling shaders.  Being able to read text is way more important than some ripply shields and flashy lights.

JustThatGoo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »

Yeah 100% scale isn't really usable on 27" 1440p 165hz monitor. So I decided to actually spend the effort testing with Nvidia scaling/sharpening instead of complaining on a forum, I'll just post it here in case it helps anyone:

Fullscreen as personal choice though of course windowed won't stretch the smaller resolutions: Testing 3 options of 2560x1440p with 135% scaling; 1080p resolution on 1440p monitor; 2176x1224p Nvidia 85% image downscale option from 1440p with sharpen. The 1224p downscale did look better than the 1080p when I turned on the sharpen option at 30%, as it should. 1080p I couldn't tell the difference with sharpen 30% on/off, didn't test with higher sharpen. However both 1080p and 1224p did have great pixelation on my monitor especially on busy ships/sprites such as large missile racks and distinguishing each missile tube etc. This is all pretty obvious

Native 1440p 135% ui scale with just 30% sharpen surprisingly kind of fixed my issue, I ended up increasing to 50% sharpening. Doesn't look quite as good as 16x AA or 100% and it does have 'jaggies'. This also sharpens text and 'everything' on the game, however it looks quite nice and makes text/planets/ships and drones pop out in space a bit more. Mileage may vary depending on your monitor and its settings

Empire123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2022, 06:51:15 AM »

I am face a problem with getting the mod to work. So I would like so help please. So pretty much I dowload the mod I get this 7z file which is a text document. I don't get a folder or a compress folder. I then move this file to the mods. I then start up starsector then goes to the mods and graphicslib does not show up. I then go delete the graphicslib file and then redowload it. It still does not work. I still get a 7z file. I then thought that since it is not in a folder that I should put it into a folder. So I do that and it still does not work. I do not know what the probliem is and this is my first time trying to install graphicslib. So I would appreciate some help.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2022, 07:03:23 AM »

7z is not a text file but a compressed archive format.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7z
It can be extracted using most unziping softwares including Winrar and 7zip.

Empire123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2022, 07:16:11 AM »

Thank you very much. I am deeply sorry for wastes your time. This was the first time I encounter this time of file. Thank you again.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.95.1a] GraphicsLib 1.6.1
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2022, 11:09:32 PM »

Belated bugfix...

Download GraphicsLib 1.6.1
Also known as ShaderLib.
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.7b)

Edit GRAPHICS_OPTIONS.ini to enable or disable GraphicsLib features!

We also recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Warning: Make sure Starsector is GPU-Accelerated!
Mobile or integrated chipsets are known to have serious graphical artifacts!

Warning: Antialiasing is mostly not supported when using shaders!

Having problems?  Visit the Mod Troubleshooting Guide!

Change Log
Version 1.6.1:
- Fixed arc attenuation for distortion effects
- Updated for Starsector 0.95.1a RC6
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21