Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New player, looking for some mods.  (Read 4693 times)

CaliburxZero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New player, looking for some mods.
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:20:26 AM »

So while I was waiting for SPAZ 2, I stumbled upon this little gem.  Great game, however in the way of content... its a bit lacking for me.  That's fine, and I see mention of mods so I was wondering what the more dedicated folks of this game's community would have to say to which mods are nice. 

However!

I am looking for mods that aren't exactly too crazy just yet.  I'd like mods that would more or less "improve the vanilla experience".  So... nothing too crazy.  More ships that are balanced/would be appropriate for the game's universe, more places to go that expands upon the current factions, etc.

So if any of you can recommend mod(s) that would meet such criteria, I'd love to hear what they are and where to get them.  Thanks~

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New player, looking for some mods.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 05:17:16 AM »

So while I was waiting for SPAZ 2, I stumbled upon this little gem.  Great game, however in the way of content... its a bit lacking for me.  That's fine, and I see mention of mods so I was wondering what the more dedicated folks of this game's community would have to say to which mods are nice. 

However!

I am looking for mods that aren't exactly too crazy just yet.  I'd like mods that would more or less "improve the vanilla experience".  So... nothing too crazy.  More ships that are balanced/would be appropriate for the game's universe, more places to go that expands upon the current factions, etc.

So if any of you can recommend mod(s) that would meet such criteria, I'd love to hear what they are and where to get them.  Thanks~
If you want a "vanilla plus" experience I'd recommend a mod called StarSector+. It focuses on expanding the base game, but also has a number of integrated faction mods that can be downloaded separately. The thread is at http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7679.0 and includes links to the required utility mods and many of the best faction mods.

Gorgonson

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:24:36 AM »

Alright, Ensign - your details check out.
Here's your standard-issue 0.7.2 data packet, and a bit of free advice - be sure to check compatibility before installing anything, 0.7.1 mods will usually work, but they may throw a spanner into your works.

You'll want to head on over to StarSector Plus, which will improve your experience across the board.  It has a myriad of balance changes, as well as a series of .json files in the mod folder that you can tweak to your liking.
If you're tiring of the Corvus sector, pay Nexerelin a visit.  That'll grant you access to a random-sector-generator, allowing you to choose the factions you want to encounter, as well as the number of celestial objects and solar systems contained within.
These two are your bread-and-butter for gameplay expansion, but there are several other places to check out, just to keep you safe.

I'd recommend getting your Version Checked, just to make sure you haven't contracted anything nasty from all this fraternisation.  That mod there will notify you of any issues or updates when you enter your pilot's seat.
If something goes wrong, or you're planning on modifying your experience, don't forget to upload your consciousness to the Save Transfer.   Once you've updated or installed modifications, you can transfer your consciousness, skills, fleet, possessions, and reputation to your altered reality, whatever it may be.  Note that this is exceptionally handy in conjunction with Nexerelin, where you can bring everything along when you generate a new sector.  That way if there's a conflict or sudden cessation of reality, you'll have a backup.
And speaking of things breaking, I'd recommend installing Console Commands to your onboard computer.  It works just like it sounds, giving you an array of problem-solving or problem-creating tricks, or even just a cheeky leg-up if you need it.

If you're looking to meet some new faces, there's a Pack of People nearby that'll introduce a little variety into your life.  Of course, once you're in your ship you won't be able to hear what they say unless you activate Combat Chatter which handily transcribes the joys and sufferings of nearby pilots to your heads-up-display.  If you'd like to keep an eye out for them, or for yourself, download the Common Radar app.

So you're looking to get your feet wet and fraternise with some new folks, I'll ease you into it.  Starting with the Junk Pirates wouldn't be such a bad idea.  There's a range of almost-familiar ships there, as well as some small-time factions to enhance your sector-traversing experience.  The folks down at Metelson Industries have some nice craft to get used to.

Now if you're going to delve any deeper, and make friends with some strange factions, you'll probably need to visit the library first.  That's right, there's the Shader Library and the Lazy Library.  Both go hand-in-hand when it comes to adding beauty and functionality to the more complex mods - but be sure to check all the previous links, as some of them might require these libraries, too.

Now that those are out of the way, I'll introduce you to the major players.
An army has arrived, clad in yellow and gold.  They call themselves the Interstellar Imperium and with such armour and combat discipline I don't doubt that name for one minute.
Speaking of discipline, I've heard the phrase New Galactic Order uttered in hushed corners.  I didn't want to pry, but most of the pilots discussing the issue seemed to be missing rather more limbs than usual.
On a lighter topic, the Neutrino Corp are doing some amazing things with lasers and light beams.
Then there are those strangers out by the Pegasus Belt.  Their ships may be bizarre, but if you cross them, so will the circumstances of your death.
On that topic, the geniuses behind Diable Avionics are expanding their reach.  That ion storm last week?  That was a demonstratory fusillade from their flagship.
Now I don't know much about the enigma that is Blackrock Drive Yards, I probably never will - They're strange and alluring, and no one in their right mind can enjoy green light that much.

Now that's enough of my time, but before I go I'll let you in on a secret.  Don't ask about the Knight's Templar.  It's for your own good - they aren't to be trifled with, not even if you had the backing of the entire IBB.
I wish you the best of luck, pilot - out there is a whole range of experts and people smarter than me.
Relax, try to have fun, and don't get blown up!

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »

Alright, Ensign - your...
...don't get blown up!

Best informational post ever.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »

Gorgonson's post should be made into a mini SS video XD
Ignorance is bliss..

CaliburxZero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 07:42:38 PM »

Thanks isaac and specially gorgon for that long writeup.  I'll be trying this out in the very near future as i finish up my vanilla playthrough.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 12:35:41 AM »

Here's your standard-issue 0.7.2 data packet, and a bit of free advice
i'm just gonna bookmark this post to link to whenever a thread like this pops up again. ^^

@OP: there's a nice Mod Index that lists all mods that work with recent Starsector builds.

adding to Gorgonson's post, Scy and Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority are the two other popular faction mods that are up to date and play well with Starsector+. but i'd recommend not going crazy with additional factions right away, as Starsector+ itself (as the vanilla enhancement/expansion mod) already includes a huge amount of new ships, weapons, gameplay additions and balance changes.

two other mods that might be handy:
Autosave, which by default just shows a warning when you haven't saved in some time, but can also be configured to save automatically after a set duration or at specific events.
and Omnifactory, very useful if you want to secure access to rare ships or weapons, but could be considered cheaty. it hasn't received an update to the latest game version, but seems to work just fine regardless, from what i can tell.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:53:05 AM »

IMHO more factions jsut populate the universe more, but indeed if I would play without Nexerelin, I would just choose a couple of factions. I usually go with the factions listed on the Starsector Plus page, since they are attuned to work with each other in a balanced way.

If I want to play on Corvus (the vanilla galaxy) I play on Nexerelin on Corvus mode, still only using mods that are under SS+ page.

But most of my games are with Nexerelin on a randomly generated galaxy. When I go for that, most of the times I do not care about balance, so I add all the mods I can. At least from playing a bit, the game seems to become more sluggy depending the size of the Nexerelin galaxy and not the amount of factions. Of course I am sure that adding more factions adds to the load, but it does not feel it adds too much.

If you play on Nexerelin, make sure to not use Omnifactory. Omnifactory can be activated internally from Nexerelin.
Ignorance is bliss..