Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bribing Enemy Fleets  (Read 21050 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Bribing Enemy Fleets
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »

I have a fun thought - what about an additional option in the pre-combat dialog where you offer to bribe an opponents fleet to let you be? Or the other way around where you demand payment? My reasoning is as follows:

If I encounter a much weaker fleet than me, it is not in anyones best interest for me to destroy them utterly (other than leveling up my crew, but nevermind that for the moment). I don't get all that much loot - usually less than the value of one of their ships - and I might lose a fighter wing or a frigate myself. They all die - lose/lose. It makes sense that I would offer the weaker fleet a chance to run if they paid me more than I would otherwise expect to gain. They get to live - win/not dead.

The bribe could be money or supplies, or maybe even a whole ship!

What do people think?

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bribing Enemy Fleets
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »

Sounds great to me, I wouldn't be surprised if Alex ends up adding that sort of an option to the dialog system at some point.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »

I kind of like this. But then, something would have to be done about how easily you could then catch up to the enemy fleet again and extort them again a few seconds later ;D

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »

I kind of like this. But then, something would have to be done about how easily you could then catch up to the enemy fleet again and extort them again a few seconds later ;D

Good point, ha ha!  Maybe there would be a 1 minute cool-down where that fleet couldn't be attacked by you again during that timer.  Or maybe something more organic, like every time you attack a fleet that you already extorted you get a lower extortion rating afterwards, that would cause all future fleets that you try to extort less and less likely to go for it, and more likely to distrust you and fight to the death.  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »

Maybe a little lag where you don't move because you are securing all the new cargo/ships? All your crew getting drunk on stolen rum?

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »

If there is going to be an economic system of trading cargo to other space stations, I would love this idea.  You could avoid a lot of battles in the early stages of the game this way.  It would also be interesting if they would not accept the cargo if you dont have enough.

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »

I agree...Could be a nice idea.

Deathven

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »

It would add a nice touch, wouldn't it?

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »

Then there should also be an element of risk involved. If there's Q-ships in this game, you accepting the 'bribe' could initiate battle with your ships already damaged (they got off the first shot) or simply a chance of spawning a patrol fleet on you (someone heard the SOS while you are busy hauling your ill-gotten gains).

Otherwise pirating would be too easy/boring.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:23:53 PM by SQW »

Mathias

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

I like the idea of bribe/extort in the comm-link. Could save some major heart ache. Depending on your relationship with the group could alter the amount that they would demand/offer. Or if your rating with them is too low then they would rather attack.

If there is going to be an economic system of trading cargo to other space stations, I would love this idea.  You could avoid a lot of battles in the early stages of the game this way.  It would also be interesting if they would not accept the cargo if you dont have enough.

Running cargo for profit does sound like a good way of starting off, spending most of your time avoiding engagements. A time limit on the deliveries would mean that you could not keep avoiding every fleet and may have to try and run throught their blockade (and protect the cargo-ship).

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »

Oy, Alex, take a look at this thread!  ;D

I FULLY support the ability to extort/be extorted by pirates or whatever. "Hey supply convoy, nice fully-stocked Gemini you have there. It would be a $$$$$hame if $$$$$omething happened to it." ("Btw, this means that you should GIVE ME MONEY!")

>:D
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Deathven

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:57:47 AM »

I like the idea of bribe/extort in the comm-link. Could save some major heart ache. Depending on your relationship with the group could alter the amount that they would demand/offer. Or if your rating with them is too low then they would rather attack.

Running cargo for profit does sound like a good way of starting off, spending most of your time avoiding engagements. A time limit on the deliveries would mean that you could not keep avoiding every fleet and may have to try and run throught their blockade (and protect the cargo-ship).

It would be a great idea. Though it might take a while  to implement. I mean, not only would a economic system have to be created, but also dialogue options, new algorithms for the "relations" factor affecting bribe/extort, percentage for it to actually have them accept it, etc. It would require a lot!

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 05:16:07 AM »

what about options like leaving few ships to cover retreat andor drop cargo-give credits to evoid certain death?

there are tons of options like jumping FTL or ever selfdestruct large ship and escape on something fast.

actually if your fleet is faster then enemy your shoud have no problems with leaving battlefield.

Deathven

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »

Needless to say, there is a LOT of options on how this could go.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:51 PM »

Really liking the suggestions bringing this game closer to Mount & Blade.
Pages: [1] 2 3