Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Specialized Ships  (Read 5872 times)

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Specialized Ships
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »

Going to try my hand at a few thing I had floating around in my head and wanted to hear any suggestions on how to make  these fun

?

A ship that is essentially a...
shield ball - has no weapons but is there to just provide shielding
shield wall - very large radius covers other ships

half-way shield ships- the shield will only cover part of the ship and the rest will stick out.(weapons out side of shield)

Ramming ship/guided missile

what will happen if weapon emplacements are place off of the ship?

-sorta made a shield wall ship and a ramming shi

if anyone has any advice on how to make these better (or wants to do mess around with these on their own) please do

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:45:53 PM by intothewildblueyonder »

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Test of Ideas Specialized Ships
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »

Ramming ships and shield wall ships would kick ass, but I have no idea if the current modding system allows you to modify the AI to actually match these ideas. If you could set the AI up to work like this, it'd be plenty of fun all by itself.

Shield ball sounds like cannon fodder, which could work but maybe it could do with some slight support weapons - a few vulcan cannons or the like on some tier 1 ballistic mounts could help make it more useful.

Ships with weapons outside of the shields sound a bit useless to me - I would personally stick with properly shielded ships in that case, unless the odd new ships would be really powerful.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »

Going to try my hand at a few thing I had floating around in my head and wanted to hear any suggestions on how to make  these fun

A ship that is essentially a...
shield ball - has no weapons but is there to just provide shielding
shield wall - very large radius covers other ships

half-way shield ships- the shield will only cover part of the ship and the rest will stick out.(weapons out side of shield)

Ramming ship/guided missile

what will happen if weapon emplacements are place off of the ship?

My favorite idea is the Shield Wall ship, I'd love to see how the AI uses it, when you mentioned the idea, I imagined a Shield radius of several times the size of the ship, enough to cover several other ships, etc.  That'd be very interesting for sure.  :)  Clearly the flux capacity and shield efficiency of the Shield Wall ship would have to be excellent however, heh heh.    ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »

Tying to make a ramming ship. What I think will help is putting a weapon on in front that has short range, does anyone have any idea which weapon/weapon-hints are going to make it charge at the target ?

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »

Tying to make a ramming ship. What I think will help is putting a weapon on in front that has short range, does anyone have any idea which weapon/weapon-hints are going to make it charge at the target ?

Well I'm not sure about which weapon hint to use, but I'd make a custom weapon to test it maybe, one with like a 30-50 range on it, I'm pretty sure the shortest range weapon in the game currently is about 250 range, a PD cannon.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Etfaks

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »

Zarcons idea is pretty good as a work around. Would be pretty cool to have a frigate formed as a "spear" (which would sport a 10-20 range hardpoint laser with maybe 1000 kinetic damage). Is there a way to only allow a gun to shoot if the ship is at a certain speed? otherwise just a decent cooldown coupled with no shields on the spearfrigate would also work, hit and run you know.
Dev of the mod "The Hoplites of Corinth" and  artist for "Portraits Galore".

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:02:36 PM »

Ramming ships and shield wall ships would kick ass, but I have no idea if the current modding system allows you to modify the AI to actually match these ideas. If you could set the AI up to work like this, it'd be plenty of fun all by itself.

Well I sort of manged it by putting short range weapons on the ship and lowering the collision radius (though the ships are by no means perfect)

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Specialized Ships
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:36 AM »

Does anyone know if hard-points/turrents can still be disabled if they are placed off a ship?

I want to know because I want to make a ship that uses off board lasers to make a "ring of laser" (R) TM around itself for defense (or offense  ;))
and the idea would be you have to break the "ring of laser" (R) TM to really get at its hull

just wanted to know
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:39:10 PM by intothewildblueyonder »

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Specialized Ships
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »

adding some ships tell me what you think

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:51:10 PM by intothewildblueyonder »