Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.7.2aRC3] Knights Templar Pax Cannon AI  (Read 3168 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.7.2aRC3] Knights Templar Pax Cannon AI
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »

I put 2 Pax Cannons on an Afflictor and sent it into AI combat vs. an Enforcer. The Afflictor would aim right at the target, and whenever the Enforcer was moving it would then turn to point 20° in front of him and fire its Pax Cannons off into empty space. I think the target leading AI may be a little off and calculating shot speed or inertia wrong.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:52:45 PM by Schwartz »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.7.2aRC3] Knights Templar Pax Cannon AI
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »

Pax cannon shot speed from the AI's point of view is equal to the average speed it has over time 'til the eventual fade-out at the end of its range.  As a result it is accurate at max range (where aiming is most critical) and increasingly over-compensated the closer the range is.  Aside from a total ship AI replacement, there is no solution; the ship itself literally turned itself to fire so it can't be an autofire problem.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »

I don't know if this is an issue with the ship or the fact that it uses hardpoints, but it doesn't want to hit the target *at all*. It consistently aims off to the left or to the right. You can watch it going from being spot-on to aiming off to the side just before it's about to fire. Here's a video to demonstrate. Sorry about the rubbish host.

It also occured to me that the weapon spread of the hardpoint Pax Cannon is less than that of a turreted version.. maybe that has something to do with it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:35:00 PM by Schwartz »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 01:26:49 AM »

Unrelated to spread.  This is not an AI issue; the Afflictor was leading properly with its own movement taken into account.

The problem was actually the Pax Cannon's unrealistic physics.  Through a bunch of math shenanigans I managed to pull apart the vector components where necessary to fix this; you'd be surprised how much crap goes into making the weapon actually behave properly when fired from moving ships.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:03:54 AM »

I shudder to think. Anyway, thanks for getting on this so quickly.