Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Put the battle on full speed when player engages auto-pilot in their phase ship  (Read 3523 times)

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile

The point of auto-pilot is to let player observe the battlefield freely or so that they can do more productive things while wrapping up a battle. While bullet time is cool, having to sit through it while your phase ship is being auto-piloted really defeat that purpose.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Well, maybe as an option, but definitely not something default. Even if I do not see any hard in speeding up the auto piloted battle, I would definitely no use it. Many times when I know I can win a battle, I hit the autopilot, sit back and just enjoy watching how the AI acts, usually talking to my screen, hoping the virtual pilot will listen to me.

Also, by adding such an option I can see myself speeding through a lot of battles and even if not bad, it will definitely ruin some of the realism. Granted the map time speedup does the same thing, but still it would just be another way to speed through the game, to get over faster with it. I can easily see myself autopiloting in mid battle, just to fly faster towards enemies, to skip the part where I have to wait to reach them.

Also, I do use auto pilot a handful of times, acting like the strategist that just watches the battle, directing the ships around, while I use the camera option to watch different battles around the map. I think that is definitely a purpose for the autopilot, at least for me.
Ignorance is bliss..

figvam

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Yes, please. I like to watch fleets frolic on autopilot, and a commanding phase ship makes that show miserable.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:43:27 PM by figvam »

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile

This gives me an idea..... What if we can save the battle into replays just like those RTS games? We would then be able to watch the battle in whatever speed we like without affecting the actual gameplay.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I think the OP wants the feature to speed up battles, not to watch them again XD
Ignorance is bliss..

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This gives me an idea..... What if we can save the battle into replays just like those RTS games? We would then be able to watch the battle in whatever speed we like without affecting the actual gameplay.

Already suggested.

Such a feature would be a natural byproduct of a multiplayer mod that relied upon deterministic lockstep.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia

Starsector is about as far as it gets from lockstep.  Forget a mod, it would take half a year even with the source code to make the change.