Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starsector EXE Refuses to Launch After Editing VMPARAMS. (Resolved)  (Read 9361 times)

Callabaddie

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I converted VMPARAMS to text, in order to change the memory settings to 2 and 4 gigs respectively. Upon changing it back to the original format, the game refuses to launch under any circumstances. No "Cannot Read VMPARAMS" error. No start then crash. Cutting out the file then putting it back in does nothing. I am unable to use any mods as a result of this.

As you can imagine, this is mind bendingly frustrating. The only thing that fixes this is a reinstall.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:03:32 PM by Callabaddie »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector EXE Refuses to Launch After Editing VMPARAMS.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »

You don't need to convert it to open the file in any text editor. If you did, the file formatting might have changed (first thing I can thing of is added line returns for example). Of course impossible to tell since you didn't posted your file content.

Callabaddie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 01:24:44 AM »

I am incapable of opening the file with any other program. I simply change the extension to .txt, open it, change the memory allocation ends to 2g and 4g respectively, then save and close. After that, I remove the .txt extension as vmparams does not have an actual file type.

This is the way I have done it for countless versions in the past. I don't know why the .exe is refusing to do anything whatsoever after editing the vmparams file now.

Is there anything that I can do to edit the file without changing the extension?

Or is there an altered vmparams file I can download?

EDIT; Something that occurs to me is that the file used to be opened in notepad, but is now opened in a rich text file. Your mention of return lines got me thinking. I'm going to take a look and see if opening it in notepad will rectify the issue.

Callabaddie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 01:39:53 AM »

Opening it and altering it in notepad causes an identical issue. The instant the original vmparams file is replaced, the .exe works perfectly.

But any file that has been changed to .txt and opened in notepad or any text editor will cause the .exe to simply not do anything. I'm stumped.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 01:44:15 AM »

Download Notepad++, which can open many more documents than normal notepad can and have more options. That way you will not have to change vmparams to txt and just open it straight with Notepad++.

PS: Normally even normal notepad can open that file. If you double click it and choose notepad, it should open it normally. Well at least in Windows 7. >.> Although I do not think windows version matters.
Ignorance is bliss..

Callabaddie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »

When attempting to do that I have got this error since a certain version of the game.

http://puu.sh/nFdP8/c0b56f858e.png

Since vmparams isn't a file type, it's impossible to make an association.

I would really just like an edited vmparams file. :^)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »

When attempting to do that I have got this error since a certain version of the game.

http://puu.sh/nFdP8/c0b56f858e.png

Since vmparams isn't a file type, it's impossible to make an association.

I would really just like an edited vmparams file. :^)

a) drag & drop the file into notepad++
or
b) open notepad++, and select the file using the open dialog

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 03:40:45 PM »

Lol.. this is so familiar. I will say just this; Not being able to open the file is NOT your current problem, but more like the fact your computer has a malware or how more people would refer to it a virus. Do you have an antivirus? Sure getting an already edited file might be a solution, but as you realize, your system is getting worse and worse. It is up to you to listen to me or not, but I will try to help you either way.  ;D

Normally I would tell you to first run the apps bellow, because it is always better to make sure there are no malware in a system before trying to fix it. If you do not want to, you can use Microsoft's automatic File and Folder diagnostic tool that will look at your system and fix the problem you get when trying to open files like that. I know this works on Windows 7 but not 10. (not sure about 8).

Keep in mind, that it might not be a malware, but making sure is always better than scratching it off as "it is not that bad". Get and run the follow apps in that order:

RKill - Get the normal one. iexplorer.exe and rkill.com are the exact same file, but named different, to trick your pc in case it does not want to run the normal exe. This one will kill whatever malware is running in the background and after doing so it will let you run other software without the malware stopping them.

TDSSKiller - It will look for some specific bad malware. Its a software by Kspersky and really good.

AdwCleaner - Its like Malwarebytes Antimalware, but does not need installation.

Junkware Removal Tool - Is an extra cleaner for malware.

After using all these, hopefully you will not have any more problems opening files and your computer.

If you want to be thorough, after the system is stable, install Malwarebytes Antimalware Free and let it do a full system scan.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:59:23 PM by weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »

I have never had any issues with opening the VMPRAMS file with windows notepad. It is just that it asks me every time which program I want to use.
Also, why don't you tell use what settings you want on the VMPRAMS and then I could upload mine here
Also future note: Always make a backup of the VMPRAMS, even if you'd done this before
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Callabaddie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »

I do not have any malware.

I run MSE up to date, have malware bytes, spybot search and destroy, and run them all every month or more often.

I will download notepad++ and drag and drop/open it in notepad++, and see if that fixes the .txt conversion issue.

Callabaddie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 09:11:07 PM »

Immediately after changing the vmparams file to 2g/4g, it stopped working. I changed it to 2048m and 4096m, and it still does not work. The launcher refuses to launch in any case other than it being exactly 1024m on both. Any other information inputted causes it to fail to launch.

Having the information stock default causes it to work perfectly, even after being edited. Entering any other settings for memory will cause the .exe to simply not launch the launcher. This is the current vmparams file I have.

It will not launch with this file.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=75213978493733486979
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:15:14 PM by Callabaddie »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 09:23:27 PM »

The file looks perfect. Here I edited mine to look like yours. It works perfectly for me.
Ignorance is bliss..

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »

Considering you have been doing this for long, mentioning that you need the 64bit Java might be redundant, but >.> yeah. You did get the 64bit one, right?
Ignorance is bliss..

Callabaddie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 10:16:29 PM »

I did, yes. But I can always try updating it again.

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »

Is your game install in a 32-bit system folder (assumption: you are running Starsector on windows)? To allocate more memory I found that you need to put it in the not-(x86) folder and then add in the new jre.
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.
Pages: [1] 2