Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What does Shielded Cargo Holds actually *do* ?  (Read 10447 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
What does Shielded Cargo Holds actually *do* ?
« on: March 09, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »

As per title; what is impacted by Shielded Cargo Holds?

Is detection of contraband a % chance?
Does Shielded Cargo Holds reduce this chance?
If so, is this reduction proportional to the % of your cargo that'll fit inside ships with Shielded Cargo Holds?

What prompted this question, was my discovery of one of the Buffalo(D) variants having completely standard stats, and Shielded Cargo Bay. (it also has a ballistic rather than energy mount; not that it matters)

This got me wondering whether I should exchange my Buffalo(A)'s, for these Buffalo(D)'s, as they're technically a side-grade; slower, lower OP & Armour, greater radar signature, but potentially better if caught smuggling.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What does Shielded Cargo Holds actually *do* ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »

Shielded Cargo Holds basically makes any illegal goods invisible to scans from patrols, up to the cargo capacity of the shielded ship. so, for example, if you have two of the pirate Buffalos, you can carry a total amount of 600 units of illegal goods with you, without danger of having these goods found by patrols.

and yeah, the pirate Buffalo shouldn't really be labeled as (D) as it's pretty much objectively better, not worse, than the standard version. i always try to keep a couple of these in my fleets for the occasional drug or organ trade/mission, with Buffalo(A) or Atlas for large amounts of supplies and ordinary trade goods.

early game, one or two Cerberus fulfill the same role, and can also help out in battle in a pinch.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:41:13 AM by Sy »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »

Ok, the above clearly isn't completely correct.

Caught smuggling (303 Organs):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54785909/starfarer/0.7.2a%20RC3/screenshot057.png
What I had in my cargo hold (500 Organs + 10 Drugs):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54785909/starfarer/0.7.2a%20RC3/screenshot058.png
My Fleet, which includes 2 Buffalo D's giving 600 Shielded Cargo space:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54785909/starfarer/0.7.2a%20RC3/screenshot059.png
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:33:36 AM by TJJ »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:00:14 AM »

uhm, huh. i don't believe that ever happened to me. no idea if that's a bug or i was mistaken about how the hullmod works. apologies if it's the later. :/

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »

It reduces the probability of being caught, doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 04:17:09 PM »

does the probability go down to zero when shielded cargo capacity is significantly higher than amount of illegal goods carried? i don't do much large-scale smuggling, but i've never been caught, even though i frequently carry something like 300 drugs and a few organs (incase i find time-sensitive missions) with two pirate Buffalos or pirate Mules.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »

It's never zero, but it does go down significantly if you're also carrying a lot of legal goods to screen the contraband.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »

ah ok, that makes sense. ty :]

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 11:43:32 PM »

Does the ratio of shielded to unshielded cargo capacity play a part?