Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there alot of depth to this game?  (Read 2983 times)

TheTzar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Is there alot of depth to this game?
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:59:26 PM »

A couple of questions before i buy,

Basically can you own your own planets?
-starbases?
-trade lanes?

Or is this more of a fleet centric kinda game?

I love what i have seen so far, the art and combat looks amazing! It's basically sold me on that alone, i just want something i can really sink my teeth into, but also isn't necessarily a grind, like i don't need to personally go out and mine asteroids all day or i won't have any monies (i'm talking late game).

Does it feel like the rating with different factions actually matters?

Can you destroy an entire faction? Take them over?

Is their ship boarding?

Thanks for anyone who can answer :D

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is there alot of depth to this game?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:48:37 AM »

A couple of questions before i buy,

Basically can you own your own planets?
-starbases?
-trade lanes?

No, or at least, not yet. The next Starsector update will introduce the Industry skill tree, and with it probably the whole station ownership and faction gestion. We'll probably have to wait the end of the year for it though.

Until then, the Nexerelin mod allow planet/station capture for your faction. But yeah, the current game is mostly about your fleet.

I love what i have seen so far, the art and combat looks amazing! It's basically sold me on that alone, i just want something i can really sink my teeth into, but also isn't necessarily a grind, like i don't need to personally go out and mine asteroids all day or i won't have any monies (i'm talking late game).

Asteroid mining isn't in the game (yet?), but the Nexerelin mod add this feature. Otherwise, bounty hunting is usually more than enough to sustain even the largest fleet, even during late game. And if fighting isn't your thing, smuggling is quite lucrative as well.

However, Starsector is really brutal to new players, and you'll probably feel you'll have to grind (or get grinded by) small pirates for hours in the beginning. It takes a little bit to understand how to properly make money and grow in size. I'd recommend you to watch the first few video of let's players to understand how things works.

Does it feel like the rating with different factions actually matters?

When you "choose" a faction, everyone else will rapidly start to hate you. So yeah, it matters a lot. On the bright side, burning bridges with other factions means you'll have access to the shinier toys of the one you sided with. Staying neutral is easy at the beginning, but toward the end, everyone will progressively make your life crappier until you choose someone.

Can you destroy an entire faction? Take them over?

Nope, but you can in Nexerelin.

Is their ship boarding?

Yep, not very exciting though. Basically a dice roll depending on how many marines you have.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 04:36:43 AM »

The depth of starsector is primarily in the combat engine; fun, satisfying combat with enormous longevity due to the huge variety of chassis, weapons, ship systems, and ship modifications.

The vanilla campaign isn't quite there yet, though as Helmut mentioned, there are mods that flesh it out a lot.

To answer your initial question "Does starsector have depth?"
I still come back to it 4 years on, so.... Yeah, lots :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:39:02 AM by TJJ »

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:05:32 AM »

Yeah, this game has a ton of depth in combat and, majorly, a very high skill ceiling. What makes it super interesting is the balance between weapons means you can really use whatever weapon you want - as long as your build makes 'sense'.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.