Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well that was a surprise!  (Read 7430 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Well that was a surprise!
« on: March 07, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »

Entered hyperspace at the Sindria jump point, and popped out into the middle of this! :

Wish I could join it on the Pirate's side, but my rep isn't quite good enough yet :(

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Well that was a surprise!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »

Nice! Those are always fun to come across and then tear into! Missiles and ships flying everywhere!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 05:46:14 PM »

awesome! ^^

i wish really large battles would happen more frequently. the ability to fly around in your flagship in a large battle, without having to worry about every loss your side takes, is one of the coolest new things of v0.7 for me.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:50:41 PM »

Ah, giant death balls of steel, blood, and ammunition.  I love 'em. :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dias Flac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »

Is the possibility of 3 way battles a thing? I'd figure it would be since you have 2 on 1. Maybe it's the opportunistic pirate in me but I'd swoop in while they were both engaged with one another and flank the lot and route them before they realize what's happening (if the game allowed it).

For that matter would it be possible to have 4 team free for all or would that be too taxing on people processors?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:37:38 AM »

Considering half the pirate ships are Mudskippers, I believe you could win that battle with the fleet you have there.  And if there was a bounty in the system you'd make 30000 credits for doing it too.

I'm impressed you could discern the composition of my fleet from this  ;D :

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:09:09 AM »

Is the possibility of 3 way battles a thing?
Alex has repeatedly stated that there will almost certainly not be any battles with more than two sides. it's not a problem of performance, but of gameplay and balancing. it would just create too much potential to be abused by the player.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »

Alex has repeatedly stated that there will almost certainly not be any battles with more than two sides. it's not a problem of performance, but of gameplay and balancing. it would just create too much potential to be abused by the player.
Not to mention that then people will ask for 4 sides, then 5...
Also 3 sided battles would require to rewrite a significant portion of the game engine plus all the weapons, ships or ship-systems AIs.

Dias Flac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 08:09:29 AM »

I can definitely see myself abusing such a mechanic. If it's a matter of being able to curb stomp them too easily I could curb stomp them either way weather is 1v1 or 1v1v1.

Right. As a fan of gratuitous space battles I'd probably want to get as many ships shooting one another on screen as I could if given the choice.
Not to mention that then people will ask for 4 sides, then 5...
Also 3 sided battles would require to rewrite a significant portion of the game engine plus all the weapons, ships or ship-systems AIs.

I guess it stems from my frustration of wanting to fight a particular group while they're engaged with another group and having to wait for them to finish.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:39:35 AM by Dias Flac »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »

I would like a "Break it up!" option.  My big third-party fleet charges in and ends their combat so I can follow-up and pick off one of the sides.  I dislike waiting for days for two sides to finish when I can clearly destroy both sides with ease.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »

yeah, hopefully we'll get the ability to interrupt battles between two enemies, if we have a clearly superior fleet. iirc, Alex mentioned he'd think about adding something like that.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:06:41 AM »

If AI battles were instant like player battles, then there would be no wait for a battle to end. It would make it much harder to join AI battles, but I don't know whether that is really an issue or not. It would prevent the massive pileups like in the OP.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »

but massive pileups are fun! :D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »

but massive pileups are fun! :D
Only when your allies do not steal your loot, especially when rare weapons are involved.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »

i just love fighting in the large battles, not necessarily because i get great loot at the end.
Pages: [1] 2