Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damage texture bug  (Read 6502 times)

Dwarfslayer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Damage texture bug
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »

I've just tried to install 0.7.2 RC2 and as soon as combat started I noticed that the ship damage textures don't seem to be confined to ship bounds. After any kind of damage, ships just start turning into "damage rectangles" completely covered in the damaged texture overlay.

This is a really obvious graphical bug, impossible to miss if it happens. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, re-downloading the installer etc etc multiple times.

Interestingly I also went back and reinstalled 0.7.1 and the problem disappears, seems to only be the most recent build?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Damage texture bug
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »

Hmm. I seem to remember you're on Linux, right? May be misremembering.

Either way - can you try opening up settings.json and setting:
"legacyLauncher":false,
To true?

That's the only thing I can think of that might have affected this. The new launcher uses OpenGL, and so has to initialize and destroy an OpenGL display, and if somehow the second time it's created (when the game proper runs), it doesn't get the right capabilities, this might happen... would probably mean a driver bug, but using the legacy launcher could get around it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:40:23 AM by Alex »

Dwarfslayer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »

Yeah maybe I should have specified some system stuff. I'm running Windows 7.

Line now reading:-

"legacyLauncher":true,

just relaunched the game, still seems to be happening.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »

I'm also seeing this problem on 0.7.2 RC2. I haven't done any troubleshooting stuff yet, but I'm running Windows 7 as well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:23:45 AM »

Is it possible that 0.7.1a is running on a different graphics card/in compatibility mode/something else along those lines?

Another thing to try: renaming the jre folder in the 0.7.2a directory, and copying over the jre folder from 0.7.1a.

But - thinking about this some more, I now remember changing something about the rendering code that has to do with this. The thing is, it was a simple change and I'm fairly confident in the code being "correct", and it does appear to work in the general case. This seems to point to this potentially being a driver issue; can you check to see if your graphics drivers up-to-date? If so, what the model of the card is would be good to know for reference, as well.

(Edit: I can't just revert the change, unfortunately, as it was needed to make something else work. Might be able to work around it, though if it *is* a driver issue, that's kind of a minefield, without knowing beforehand what will and won't work, and not being able to test it.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:26:05 AM by Alex »

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »

It's quite possible a driver issue. I'm currently running OpenGL 2, as my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 310M, which is unsupported by OpenGL 3.0.
EDIT: I'm aware of this issue because I was unable to even launch another game due to it. I'm glad I'm able to still play Starsector at all.
EDIT2: Got the version numbers wrong.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:49:25 AM by Techhead »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »

The game actually only requires an old version of OpenGL - nothing past 1.1, I believe, so higher-version support (or lack thereof) probably wouldn't factor in here.

Dwarfslayer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »

I'm using a GeForce 330M. I'll check on my drivers and get back to this.

Changing the jre out for the old 0.7.1 version produced the same bug so that's not it.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »

Nvidia is notoriously bad at following the OpenGL spec.  Those cards were terrible when they were new, and by now they're worthless garbage by graphics standards, and I believe support by Nvidia for them has been dropped.

In other words, unless Alex bends over backwards for supporting legacy drivers on a case-by-case basis (which, mind you, is generally only possible if it's a large development studio with tons of test hardware), you're just screwed.

You might get lucky and find a half-baked open source driver that kinda-sorta works, which should at least run OpenGL 1.1.

Dwarfslayer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »

Aha! Drivers updated (to NVIDIA GeForce 341.92), all jre and settings.json reverted to the download default. Everything working as intended  :) 

Thanks for help

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

Excellent :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »

@Techhead: are your drivers up-to-date? Not that there's much I can do in case they already are...

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »

I'll try installing NVIDIA GeForce 341.92 and see.

EDIT: Seems it requires 64-bit Windows. Aw well. Thanks for your help anyway.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:23:33 PM by Techhead »

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 03:39:02 PM »

I'll try installing NVIDIA GeForce 341.92 and see.

EDIT: Seems it requires 64-bit Windows. Aw well. Thanks for your help anyway.

It looks like there's a 32-bit version of the driver here.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »

A) I'm an idiot for not looking for a 32-bit version.
B) Working on fixing it. Getting a "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware" and I'm troubleshooting. Anyway, this is clearly an NVIDIA issue and not a Starsector issue at this point. I'll either figure this out or deal with ugly damage textures.
Pages: [1] 2