Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Display the list of stations and their market strength on the map  (Read 2774 times)

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Right now the information seems to be only available as a tooltip for the system in the Intel screen. So I have to switch between the map and the Intel screen a lot when trying to figure out my next destination.

I wish we had tooltips for planets and stations in the map screen. Or maybe just a list of planets and stations with market strength in the corner of the screen.

If we had tooltips for planets and stations, they could even indicate the events related to each location, such as food shortages or bounties. It would save us a lot of time spent switching between the map and the intel screen.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Display the list of stations and their market strength on the map
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:46 AM »

i think the map in general is in need of a revamp. i believe it wasn't changed at all since a loooong time ago, from when there was no hyperspace, and only like three markets total, let alone in-depth sensor mechanics. it works, but it's very.. bland. both visually and in terms of useful features, like tooltips of any kind, or providing relevant information about markets and nearby fleets at a glance.

it would probably be a lot of work to get it right though. i assume Alex intends to look at it at some point, but it might be low priority, given that the current map still does its job for the most part.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:50:32 AM by Sy »

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »

Agreed.

In the mean time, maybe we can just mod this. I haven't yet looked at the modding API (too busy playing the game). But if adding tooltips is possible then I might give it a try.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:05:29 PM »

Maybe at the top of the screen, but otherwise not a fan. I like that the map is free of tooltips, allowing you to clearly see other fleets and planets/stations. Besides I already have some trouble clicking on certain entities (such as jump points) with other fleets or asteroids nearby; would hate for tooltips to make that even harder.

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »

Fair point about tooltips.

So how about just a mod that would print some information about the system on a keybinding? It would be printed at the usual place on the screen (like the other market and bounty events) and report about the list of stations, their market strength, possibly their distance from your ship, the wormholes (and their distance from you).

I wonder if it's possible to have these messages printed while on the map though (as opposed to the navigation screen).

figvam

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 12:29:39 AM »

Agree with the OP, star system information is badly needed on the map. I, too, switch all the time between the intel screen and the map to see where I should be going. Maybe it's not that important for the long time players who have already memorized everything, but it's a must for the new players.

Also, the color of the uninhabited planet names (blueish) on the system map is too close to the Tri-Tachyon faction color (blueish, too). I mix them all the time.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:09:33 AM »

Also, the color of the uninhabited planet names (blueish) on the system map is too close to the Tri-Tachyon faction color (blueish, too). I mix them all the time.
yeah, same here. it's not really an issue anymore for myself, since i've now memorized pretty much all the current markets, but it was pretty annoying at the start, and still is whenever a patch or mod add new systems.