Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 10234 times)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
XCOM 2
« on: February 03, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »

Loved the first one, loved the expansion, loved Xenonauts, and super hyped for this too. Anyone else buying?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:01:09 PM »

Never did play the first one. :/  Not sure my computer would run it anyway.  :p  Maybe I'm just being a whiner/tightwad/something_else.

I did hear today that they officially announced Xenonauts2. So that's fun/cool/exciting.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:14:51 PM »

Same as OP here, loved the first XCOM + expansion, and enjoyed the hell out of Xenonauts.
I am a bit sceptical about the sequels. Xenonauts 2 was announced by devs/discussed last summer; its going to be the same as original, albeit with 3d engine for combat, giving it the XCOM:EU feel, which is kindof superficial to me and not worth the full price.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »

I think you missed a lot of the discussion. They are going to change the air combat completely, revamp the strategic/research layer, and I believe they are going to try and play with ground combat as well, though I'm not sure how. It should be pretty different. It may be awesome or terrible, but it shouldn't be the same.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »

I really liked firaxis' first XCOM. Just finished a Long War campaign (It was long).

I'm glad they fixed a lot of things (air combat / abduction-mission-choice / lose-condition), but I do not have the budget to buy a full-price AAA game any time soon. Then again, I am not one to care about getting stuff fast (I still haven't seen SW episode 7) so it can wait for a few months.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »

I played a dozen hour of x-com. But I dint like it. The core gameplay is decent, I really enjoyed Tactic ogre and FFT games. Same with Banner Saga.  But the art style I just did not like.

I mean... The aliens look like every bad scifi book cover alien ever. The humans all look like they are superbowl players with no variation except heads.

AND THE R N G. Where every time my guys die is not because tactical mistakes or elaborate ambush, or the overwhelmingly strong enemies. Its when the guy should have killed that alien that walked in front of his face, but 10% won over and he missed, now he's dead.

Thx game, thx...

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

Brought XCOM2, It's an improvement over the XCOM:EW, really liking it. But the performance is atrocious and the interface has not improved a bit, even regressed in places.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:46:43 PM »

LOL

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »

I was playing it, but the optimization is downright terrible. Even on my tower. It has plenty of release issues, enough to annoy me that's for sure.

So it's been shelved for the time being, waiting for fixes to be released.

Oh, also waiting for modders to work their magic and allow you to customize certain aspects to your liking. Or just for Long War Studios to have a crack at it.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »

It's a pretty great game and a tour de force in gimmicky difficulty. At the end I was only afraid of bunching up troops because of unavoidable AOE attacks, avoid that and nothing was a problem. Game was a pathetic breeze after that - which was really disappointing, actually. Did have fun before that though.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »

That sums up the xcom 1 and 2 pretty well.

Difficulty only comes in cheesy attacks from enemies, and lower and lower % chance of hitting.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »

I also didn't really like the Avatar project, my first ever game I got majorly messed over by RNG and had no chance of reducing the progress within time, so I modded my save file to make it a non-issue and enjoyed it more normally.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »

I also didn't...
...it more normally.

I ended up doing the same. Got rid of the Avatar project and enjoying the game far more without it than with. The project still runs but there is no Doom Meter to fill up, so Dark Events can occur with Guerrilla Ops and such. So the game progresses as normal.

I just feel like there is far too much rushing around to get things done in this one. Everything (literally, everything) is on a timer and it's simply too much. I like to play at a more steady pace, rather than flapping around constantly. You have to focus on certain things to keep up with enemy progress (otherwise you get stomped into the ground) but the game flows much smoother now.

Regardless of how the game is, at least mods and .ini tweaks allow you to change these things. For that, I am definitely thankful.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:20:56 PM by Kevin Flemming »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »

Actually the Avatar project isn't much of an issue at all. The 14 or whatever number of days it always gives you when it maxes, and after which you can do any story mission/facility to keep it down... that's your safety net. It's less about stopping progression and always teetering on the edge.

Before you hit the tower to trigger the last mission, you can take as much time as you want. Like before(or was it after?) the battleship in the first one.

Finished the game on my first run-through on Commander, non-Ironman.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 04:47:48 AM »

Well, I'm still struggling to actually finish a game of this.

I don't know. It's just not really "popping" for me. I think the fact that I can't save-scum on ridiculously-high percentage missed shots is hindering my enjoyment slightly. Yes, I save-scummed occasionally in LW. I mean, missing a 95% shot every single time because of the predetermined outcomes really gets on my goat. I just wish they put the Second Wave options in straight away. It feels so limited and just a ploy to get more out of DLC, a common tactic with games nowadays.
Pages: [1] 2