Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355163 times)

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #570 on: May 16, 2016, 10:55:47 PM »

I know Megas, but I also enjoy tilting at windmills and hold out the distant hope that one day he will come around to the fact that the game isn't primarily played to be a pure arcade shooter.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 17, 2016, 11:51:10 AM »

I got Starfarer (during the 0.53 days) because it played like an arcade-like shooter, much like Star Control 2 and Transcendence.  Skills have made it better for shmup-like action.

Having a viable campaign and fast-paced arcade action are not mutually exclusive.  Star Control 2 did it.

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »

Hi guys just want to make sure I am running the most current version.  Starsector 0.7.2a Release
Posted February 26, 2016

Any new on the next release?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 03, 2016, 12:10:36 AM »

nope this is it for now. For news on the upcoming release see the blog post link at the top of any page of the forum. And, it's nice to welcome you
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 03, 2016, 05:08:18 AM »

the next release is still a couple months away at least, might well be half a year or even more. it's gonna be a big one!

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 03, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »

Thats awesome, I bought this some time ago so its all new to me still plenty to do.  Are we going to be able to take abandoned planets and set up trade?  Build starbases?  What about hiring fleets to protect said areas?

Will there be a steam release?  This game is super fun and I think it stands alone in its genre.  It would do well.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 03, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »

Are we going to be able to take abandoned planets and set up trade?  Build starbases?  What about hiring fleets to protect said areas?
there will be outpost construction and related industry of some kind, but we don't have many details on that yet. it has however been more or less confirmed that said industry will be a major focus of the next release (whenever that will be), with a recent blogpost detailing planetary surveys.

Will there be a steam release?  This game is super fun and I think it stands alone in its genre.  It would do well.
i think it's not 100% certain at this point, but yes, the game will most likely find its way onto steam one way or another, once it's done. for now though, Alex (the lead dev) doesn't want to expose the game to the big steam audience just yet.

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 03, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »

Thanks for the responses!  :)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 05, 2016, 02:50:36 AM »

which, thank God Alex isn't one of those sad devs that kills their game in the womb by putting a game on the steam front page in alpha. Really it basically needs to be 1.0 releases and up
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 05, 2016, 03:28:32 AM »

which, thank God Alex isn't one of those sad devs that kills their game in the womb by putting a game on the steam front page in alpha. Really it basically needs to be 1.0 releases and up
many indie devs/studios simply don't have the money to fully develop a game before getting any noteworthy returns. Starsector is somewhat unique in that it has a very small team, even compared to other indie games, and has (afaik) already sold a decent number of copies despite very little advertising. if steam early access allows some good games to be completed that otherwise wouldn't have been possible, i'm all for it.
but yeah, caution when buying a product that isn't (and possibly never will be) finished is definitely warranted. ^^

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 05, 2016, 03:34:19 AM »

my concern isn't even whether or not an early access game will get completed, it's that even if I love it I won't care when it gets completed because I've already played it in alpha

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 05, 2016, 07:18:35 AM »

my concern isn't even whether or not an early access game will get completed, it's that even if I love it I won't care when it gets completed because I've already played it in alpha

I have got into the game from 0.6.5.1a if I remember well and played 0.5.4.1a because I really had to try out Omega's Minimash. Even when I went to the older game, I did not feel like it was really bad, compared to the newer one. Every version feels like a new game, with more things added to it.  I guess I feel that when sandbox games with mod support, have alpha releases and they are done right, they can be enjoyable even when a person replays them when an updated version appears.

If anything, when alpha stage will be over, I feel I will be a bit sad to know that nothing more will be added. No offense to people that wait for the release version >.>
Ignorance is bliss..

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 05, 2016, 07:32:16 AM »

Every version feels like a new game, with more things added to it.  I guess I feel that when sandbox games with mod support, have alpha releases and they are done right, they can be enjoyable even when a person replays them when an updated version appears.
yeah, same for me. i wouldn't play something with a linear campaign and/or narrative focus in early access, because it would just spoil the experience of the full game. but something sandbox-y that i'd play repeatedly anyway, and that is enjoyable even when some of the mechanics or content are still missing, works quite well.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 05, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »

Yeah, the changes between versions at this stage are so dramatic that you really feel like you are playing a new game. And it get's better each time! I really like how the combat, which is still the heart of it all, gets some special love with each update, despite it being basically "done" for years now.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 05, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »

I see it like a food recipe~ The more time passes, the tastier is gets and every time it gets better, you just love the taste all over~ I really feel sad I got on the ship late, because I feel like I have missed a lot of the past, that people seem to talk at times. But definitely better late than never!

My mother though does not appreciate it, when I get furious with the game, yell at my screen and hit my mouse >.> ... I promise I am a calm guy afar from that.  ;D
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40