Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355113 times)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #510 on: March 15, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »

:o That lying piece of patch note! Still seems logical for the Merchant leader to be closer to a civilian and stay safe away from the battle, while his guards protect him and the cargo XD

Weeell, you've probably been shooting at their military for a while. Selling a bunch of food (at a profit!) to a market with a shortage (which, for all they know, you engineered) doesn't really stack up against that. So realism-wise, I think it's pretty reasonable.

So this is something normal now? To not be able to overcome hate easily sounds really nice. Adding a period that no matter what actions you do, will not be accepted by the enemy faction as a friendly gesture~
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:03:38 PM by Weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 16, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »

:o That lying piece of patch note! Still seems logical for the Merchant leader to be closer to a civilian and stay safe away from the battle, while his guards protect him and the cargo XD

Weeell, you've probably been shooting at their military for a while. Selling a bunch of food (at a profit!) to a market with a shortage (which, for all they know, you engineered) doesn't really stack up against that. So realism-wise, I think it's pretty reasonable.

So this is something normal now? To not be able to overcome hate easily sounds really nice. Adding a period that no matter what actions you do, will not be accepted by the enemy faction as a friendly gesture~

Thats the intention of Vengful from what I understand, even if it never really seemed to work right before.
I had a whole suggestion on that subject, but I don't think anyone noticed.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9786.msg168860#msg168860

Essentially, that Vengeful, cooperate, and scaling down towards neutral are harder to change, requring larger magnitudes of activities and specific activities to achieve. Vengeful would be irreversable and Cooperative would require you to specifically attack an allied fleet to reverse, with less strict requirements as you move towards neutral.

Hence dedicated effort would be required, and things like black market transactions or similar wouldn't really be enough, even in massive volumes. You would have to be obviously opposed to them to the point where they are unable to trust you to be friendly, ever.

Still needs some kind of Fleet commander interaction system, and you need a way to get out of combat with semi-hostile fleets without Fighting.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 16, 2016, 11:06:59 PM »

I had a whole suggestion on that subject, but I don't think anyone noticed.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9786.msg168860#msg168860

I noticed! Remember reading it at the time. Sorry I didn't respond; it's just... well, it's hard to make time to respond everywhere I'd like to. I do try to read as much as possible, though - especially suggestions; I'd estimate I catch probably 90% of it at least.

Hence dedicated effort would be required, and things like black market transactions or similar wouldn't really be enough, even in massive volumes. You would have to be obviously opposed to them to the point where they are unable to trust you to be friendly, ever.

I think that specifically would be troublesome, because then getting to cooperative would basically be a license to smuggle without consequences. That doesn't seem desirable design-wise.

The system in place already pretty much supports these kinds of mechanics, though.

Still needs some kind of Fleet commander interaction system, and you need a way to get out of combat with semi-hostile fleets without Fighting.

Yeah, I'm more or less holding off on touching it until more/almost all things like this are in place. What's there isn't perfect but works for now. Once it's clear what war etc looks like, it may make sense to revisit.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 17, 2016, 08:43:56 AM »

I noticed! Remember reading it at the time. Sorry I didn't respond; it's just... well, it's hard to make time to respond everywhere I'd like to. I do try to read as much as possible, though - especially suggestions; I'd estimate I catch probably 90% of it at least.
Ah. Sorry. Just that no replies at all, so I wasn't sure.
I think that specifically would be troublesome, because then getting to cooperative would basically be a license to smuggle without consequences. That doesn't seem desirable design-wise.
Hmm. Main issue I've had with that is that a lot of weapons or ships are hard to find, so you really need to look into the black market AND the legit market. A database that updated what kind of stuff you can find at each station might help.
The system in place already pretty much supports these kinds of mechanics, though.
Oh? At higher cooperation levels there are less penalties for smuggling/using the black market?

Yeah, I'm more or less holding off on touching it until more/almost all things like this are in place. What's there isn't perfect but works for now. Once it's clear what war etc looks like, it may make sense to revisit.
True enough. Its just that if an enemy faction is hostile but not vengful, it isn't exactly hard for that to slip. Generally, running away results in you losing at least one ship in my experience, and the alternative is to kill the enemy fleet if you can. Either way, things get worse.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Trigger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »

Just a few quick questions/suggestions about relays and comm sniffers.

I'm a few hours into a run and currently in the process of hunting down any remaining relays I havn't put comm sniffers on atm, but I find myself routinely visiting the same relays over and over again just checking if I've remembered to put a comm sniffer on it/had one removed yet. There doesn't really seem to be much of a penalty to just having comm sniffers on as many relays as you can atm, as in the hours I've played so far I've yet to notice anything relating to having one discovered despite having comm sniffers on the vast majority of relays in the game. Is there no penalty to having comm sniffers after they've been set up, or is it simply that rare for one to actually be discovered?

It'd be great to have way to track the relays in the game, what faction they belong to and whether or not you've got a comm sniffer set up on them if there aren't already a way to do that. It seems a bit strange that you've got no way to track whether or not you've got a device designed to intercept and send you information, of all things, on a relay in any other way than physically running up to it and having a look. I guess I could just write it down somewhere or do as I have been and just check every time I run past one, but that seems a bit superfluous when you could easily just clear it up by adding a page relating to comm relays and sniffers somewhere in the Intel tab (or alternatively just add it to the information you get when hovering over stars in the Intel tab along with markets).

Also, while I'm at it, does becoming vengeful with a faction makes you permanently hostile to them? No way to reconcile with them at all?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 17, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »

During 0.65 days, comm sniffers could be detected and removed and/or investigated, and a reputation penalty (akin to smuggling or food market manipulation, I presume) if convicted after investigation.  Losing cooperative reputation (possibly) for the miniscule benefit of getting more very cryptic (to the point of uselessness) spam or information overload seemed like a very VERY bad deal.  Investigations have been removed for now.  I still do not bother with sniffers.

Assuming standard game (no Nexerelin), once you are Vengeful with a faction, you are permanently hostile because nothing raises reputation with a Vengeful faction anymore.  You can cheat to reverse this (e.g., load game in devmode, change reputation).

Hmm. Main issue I've had with that is that a lot of weapons or ships are hard to find, so you really need to look into the black market AND the legit market. A database that updated what kind of stuff you can find at each station might help.
Yes, many high-quality hardware is rare enough that player needs to shop every market.  I go to Black Markets to buy ships, weapons, and marines.  If I join Hegemony, maybe organs too.

I would like to get blueprints and autofactories so I can produce the items I want and not rely on the markets of my potential enemies.

Trigger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 17, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »

Oh, okay thanks. So what does comm sniffers actually give you? I assumed they gave you more information about prices/bounties/events etc, but by the sounds of things it's a lot more limited than that?

I'm still going to opt to use them because more information can't hurt as far as I'm concerned. Maybe Alex could add somewhere to track what comm sniffers you have installed if he ever decides to rework them?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 19, 2016, 05:01:20 PM »

Any chance of a release to fix the ships not following orders bug (or a workaround we can apply?). I do love my Lashers. :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 19, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »

Comm sniffers get you a few more price updates; a bit of an orphaned mechanic at the moment.

Any chance of a release to fix the ships not following orders bug (or a workaround we can apply?). I do love my Lashers. :P

No hotfix for this, though I do wish I'd caught that earlier, ugh.

For a workaround, you can add the following to all .system files that don't already have something similar:

"aiHints":{
      "activeSpeedIncrease":0,
      "burstMovementPotential":0,
      "averageSpeedIncrease":0,
   }

And that should do the job.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 19, 2016, 05:20:07 PM »

Thanks!

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 19, 2016, 09:21:57 PM »

Is the Apogee more common now? because in the last update I had to spawn one in after waiting about 20 years ingame...

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 23, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »

Bro, you don't want a lame, pansyass Apogee; you want a real mans ship! DOMINATOR!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 23, 2016, 10:30:49 AM »

Aurora if you wanna be prettyyy~

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #523 on: April 08, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »

Does Ion Beam GFX resemble that of Graviton Beam too much? I was wondering why a Graviton Beam was disabling all my weapons.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 08, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »

Does Ion Beam GFX resemble that of Graviton Beam too much? I was wondering why a Graviton Beam was disabling all my weapons.
That it does, along with the HIL...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40