Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355192 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »

the new starting options are great! two more thoughts:

1) the Centurion option states that it is "slower and hard to kill", compared to the Lasher, but the two ships actually have the same base speed. "hard to kill" could also be somewhat misleading to new players, since frigates in general can feel like they die whenever the player makes the slightest mistake. even if the Centurion is better at this than most other ships of that size, large part of what makes it survivable is its active system, which unexperienced players may not use as much or as well timed as they should.
and since the hybrid mounts seem to be a big part of what differentiates it from other combat frigates, maybe it should say something along the lines of "well-rounded and harder to kill" or "versatile and tough for its size". /nitpick ^^

2) obviously subjective, but i feel the "had business dealings with a prominent pirate captain" choice should carry some kind of penalty, like reducing standing with independents down to suspicious. if the event was known widely enough for it to give you a decent reputation among pirates, other factions would probably hear at least rumors as well. this would also serve to immediately tell new players that keeping high reputation with other factions would be difficult if you're frequently dealing with pirates.
if the penalty seems too harsh, the option could have also add some bonus credits, which would fit the "business dealings" part.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »

The Afflictor might be a BIT OP now...
Spoiler
[close]
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »

What Skills do you have there, Kitsune? Missile spec... or was 4-5 Reapers enough to kill it? O_o

I thought Alex added a arming timer for Reapers to prevent phase ships dumping them on a target before it could raise shields.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:13:31 PM by Dri »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2016, 04:25:59 PM »

@Sy:
Good thoughts, especially the point about losing a bit of independent rep. Probably not something I want to touch now (starting options are a thing that's going to evolve a couple more times at least), but will keep it in mind!

The Afflictor might be a BIT OP now...
Spoiler
[close]

Nice! I'm assuming at least 5 missile spec, and then timing a 4-torpedo barrage with a Quantum Disruptor activation? IIRC you'd need more than 5 torpedoes, though, or missile spec 10.

Seems alright to me, though, since that's a very specialized loadout - guessing you probably even had to link up the Reapers. Main thing I'm surprised by is the lack of damage on the Afflictor - you'd think it'd catch at least some of the Paragon's firepower after unphasing.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »

Quick notes:

* This is the first version where I had to disable sound to run the game.  If I run fullscreen and with sound, the game freezes soon after it starts, probably due to lack of memory.  If I turn off sound, I can play the game, but no sound is no fun.  I had this problem before with mods, but this is the first time without mods installed.

* Wolf as a starter ship is gone!  At least I can suicide until I get one!  Respawn ships are Wayfarer, Centurion, Lasher, and... Wolf.

(Loaded my prior saves...)
* LR PD Laser costs too much flux!  I had flux problems using them as a Wolf, more so than Tactical Lasers.  I will stick with other beam PD options.  LR PD Laser should not use more flux than Tactical Laser, given its OP cost and reduced DPS.

* Atropos (with max Missile Specialization) is evil now.  Much faster than Harpoons.  I like them.  They feel almost like Templars' Clarents, except with much less range.

* Reapers bouncing off is usually of no consequence.  If the target does not have enough PD, the Reaper will bounce inside the target and explode anyway.

* Afflictor's Quantum Disruptor is extremely powerful - great for cracking Paragon's shield.  Given how that system works, Afflictor works best as Reaper or Atropos boat.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2016, 04:46:55 PM »

* This is the first version where I had to disable sound to run the game.  If I run fullscreen and with sound, the game freezes soon after it starts, probably due to lack of memory.  If I turn off sound, I can play the game, but no sound is no fun.  I had this problem before with mods, but this is the first time without mods installed.

Hm, that's extremely strange, considering this version only added a couple of sounds. I'd be very surprised if it was indeed a memory issue, since even with sound on, vanilla is still well short of using up 1 gig of memory. How long does it take to freeze? What does it end up doing, i.e. does it recover at some point, does it stutter, or does it just hang permanently?

Could you try installing OpenAL from a link here?
https://www.openal.org/downloads/

That might actually resolve the issue.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »

if the Afflictor seems too much of a hard counter to ships like the Paragon, you could make the system unusable while phase cloak is on cooldown. that way it would have to make itself vulnerable to enemy fire for at least 2sec before it can pull off its combo of overload + HE burst.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2016, 04:50:13 PM »

if the Afflictor seems too much of a hard counter to ships like the Paragon, you could make the system unusable while phase cloak is on cooldown. that way it would have to make itself vulnerable to enemy fire for at least 2sec before it can pull off its combo of overload + HE burst.

That's a possibility, but really, my initial reaction is that this isn't an issue. A hyperspecialized phase ship *should* probably take out a lone capital ship.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »

* LR PD Laser costs too much flux!  I had flux problems using them as a Wolf, more so than Tactical Lasers.  I will stick with other beam PD options.  LR PD Laser should not use more flux than Tactical Laser, given its OP cost and reduced DPS.
I think that's the idea though - its not frigate PD.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »

Nice! I'm assuming at least 5 missile spec, and then timing a 4-torpedo barrage with a Quantum Disruptor activation? IIRC you'd need more than 5 torpedoes, though, or missile spec 10.

Seems alright to me, though, since that's a very specialized loadout - guessing you probably even had to link up the Reapers. Main thing I'm surprised by is the lack of damage on the Afflictor - you'd think it'd catch at least some of the Paragon's firepower after unphasing.

I got lucky with my shots and the enemy shots. Barely took any damage. Missile spec 5 for +1 missile was all I had for skills
My loadout: 4 reapers on alternating
Mods: Blast doors, hardened systems, Injector
Max caps and vents

That's a possibility, but really, my initial reaction is that this isn't an issue. A hyperspecialized phase ship *should* probably take out a lone capital ship.
Agreed. This took me a few tries to do and most of the time if I wasn't cloaked after the cooldown, I was dead

Also I found a few bugs: One is that the bounty in Corvus is only for around 12 days. I think this is because we start on Jan 1 206. The other bug is that in missions, the game won't remember you checking the "don't show unusable hullmods" box and it resets every time the hull mod box closes
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:04:01 PM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »

Yeah, it's meant for either a very dedicated smaller PD ship, or as a bit of long-range PD on a larger ship.

Also I found a few bugs: One is that the bounty in Corvus is only for around 12 days. I think this is because we start on Jan 1 206. The other bug is that in missions, the game won't remember you checking the "don't show unusable hullmods" box and it resets every time the hull mod box closes

Hmm, that's strange - it's supposed to insta-end any bounties that pop up from Jangala until the player spawns, at which point it starts a fresh one. Are you sure it wasn't, say, an extra bounty from Asharu or some such that started out at 12 days?

Mission mod dialog: fixed!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »

Hm, that's extremely strange, considering this version only added a couple of sounds. I'd be very surprised if it was indeed a memory issue, since even with sound on, vanilla is still well short of using up 1 gig of memory. How long does it take to freeze? What does it end up doing, i.e. does it recover at some point, does it stutter, or does it just hang permanently?

Could you try installing OpenAL from a link here?
https://www.openal.org/downloads/

That might actually resolve the issue.
The first time I ran it, I froze after I tried to exit the codex after browsing a ship.  On subsequent runs, it freezes for a bit when "preloading..." appears.  Usually, this is temporary, but if I click something later to exit a screen, it freezes permanently.

If I need to install something, I think I will try 64-bit java.  I have the RAM, but not the 64-bit java to use it.

* LR PD Laser costs too much flux!  I had flux problems using them as a Wolf, more so than Tactical Lasers.  I will stick with other beam PD options.  LR PD Laser should not use more flux than Tactical Laser, given its OP cost and reduced DPS.
It's not any-ship PD.  I do not even use tactical lasers for PD on some capital ships (like Paragon) due to flux cost, and I do not want to use PD that sucks more flux than tactical lasers.  The ships that have flux for LR PD Laser need that flux for flux hungry assault weapons like blasters, and PD that costs too much flux interferes with effective blaster/PC use.

Also, the ships with the best PD are not beam users, but Vulcan and/or flak users.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 26, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »

On subsequent runs, it freezes for a bit when "preloading..." appears.  Usually, this is temporary, but if I click something later to exit a screen, it freezes permanently.

If I need to install something, I think I will try 64-bit java.  I have the RAM, but not the 64-bit java to use it.

Removing the "-server" bit from vmparams may be worth a shot in this case, too.

It'd be weird for this to be a memory issue since memory use should be consistent across different systems, and it works fine - not even close to memory limit - over here. So I'd still suggest trying installing OpenAL; that you're experiencing issues with this suggests a problem with sound on your system rather than with the game.

That said, 64-bit java may resolve it anyway, in bandaid fashion.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »

Stealth buff to Hammerhead? Did it always have 5000 hull (same as Enforcer)?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2016, 05:58:15 PM »

I think so? Don't recall touching that.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40