Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355103 times)

Gezzaman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:19 PM »

thankyou for the phase cloak changes!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 05:36:29 PM »

If I am in a normal ship and I see a phase ship 'phase' they start moving at 3x and get 3x AI etc. what is the trick to speeding things up for a AI ship?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I suspect the answer is "some combination of adjusting the engine and ship time multipliers", though :)

I'm a little curious about new ships being added while there are lots of major features that need implementation or overhaul. I think we may hit a point of diminishing returns with new ships.

I don't think we're at that point yet, and it's always been part of the plan to add a few ships here and there, along the way. These are all filling in various ship design gaps.

Luddic Path ships now have built-in "Ill-Advised Modifications" hullmod that gives a small chance of critical weapon malfunctions
Is there no positive effect? If not why would LP make these modifications? Turning certain factions into "hi just kill us so you can level up" is immersion breaking and a genre convention that doesn't fit with starsector's campaign, where it usually feels like the universe is living for itself. Difficulty wise, does anyone have problems with LP? They aren't very plentiful.

It's a side effect of getting "Safety Overrides" for free, so that's the benefit. LP ships are still extremely good, but this adds a different way to handle them ships, especially at game start when they can be very dangerous.

Plus it's a good thematic fit - very effective modifications (but borderline suicidal, which explains why everyone doesn't just go in for "free SO"), and a counter-strategy of exploiting that weakness.

Faction commission and hostilities changes
What about cutting the -2 rep when you flee from pirates? It's a slap in the face to people trying to be pirates, and it doesn't make sense that any faction angry enough to attack/kill you would get more angry just from you running away. It feels odd. If pirates let you pay them a bribe with no rep hit, then -2 for fleeing would make sense.

Haven't looked at it (yet?), so no comment at the moment.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »

Conservation efforts have been successful and a small number of Buffalo Mk.II's have been spotted in the wild

Yay! Also lol!
Accidents now occur when ships are at 0% CR (and only affect those ships) instead of happening when your fleet is out of supplies

That is a godsend. Thank you.
"Timid" officers no longer show up in AI fleets; replaced with "Cautious"

YAY! No more incridbly lame and boring timid fights, heh.

Phase Lance: removed EMP damage component

D'AAWWW. Guess it makes sense given the new emp weapons. :D

Added Harbinger-class destroyer (system: Entropy Amplifier)
Added Centurion-class frigate (system: Damper Field)
Added Scarab-class frigate (system: Temporal Shell)
Added Wayfarer-class frigate (combat freighter, system: Flare Launcher)
Daaaang look at all the new ships!

Wolf (D) variants now have Degraded Engines hullmod

Boooooo! Probably kind of a neccessary nerf, though.

Added a converted version of the Mudskipper to pirate fleets
This might be my favorite change.  XD

Added "weapon slot cover" graphics for empty weapon slots

I'm excited to see this!

Phase skimmer: removed flux cost

Oooooo nerf the wolf(d) but buff the system. I am okay with this.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Foxd1e

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »

Faction commission and hostilities changes
What about cutting the -2 rep when you flee from pirates? It's a slap in the face to people trying to be pirates, and it doesn't make sense that any faction angry enough to attack/kill you would get more angry just from you running away. It feels odd. If pirates let you pay them a bribe with no rep hit, then -2 for fleeing would make sense.

I agree losing rep with an entire faction because you refused to engage them doesn't make sense. Losing rep with the Captain who engaged you would make sense though because you denied his bloodlust.

Bribe Guntails

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »

Campaign map PANNING?! That will be a big help in Navigation!

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 06:00:58 PM »

I'm not sure what you're asking. I suspect the answer is "some combination of adjusting the engine and ship time multipliers", though Smiley

Ah huh, so if per say I wanted to make time slow to near a stop, and make a 'time ship' keep moving at normal rate as if outside the time bubble I just have to amp up it's speed/acceleration proportional to the amount time is slowing. That could be cool.

Nice.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »

As usual, StarSector 0.x.2a delivers the goods :D

Luddic Path ships now have built-in "Ill-Advised Modifications" hullmod that gives a small chance of critical weapon malfunctions
Is there no positive effect? If not why would LP make these modifications? Turning certain factions into "hi just kill us so you can level up" is immersion breaking and a genre convention that doesn't fit with starsector's campaign, where it usually feels like the universe is living for itself. Difficulty wise, does anyone have problems with LP? They aren't very plentiful.

It's a side effect of getting "Safety Overrides" for free, so that's the benefit. LP ships are still extremely good, but this adds a different way to handle them ships, especially at game start when they can be very dangerous.

Plus it's a good thematic fit - very effective modifications (but borderline suicidal, which explains why everyone doesn't just go in for "free SO"), and a counter-strategy of exploiting that weakness.

I'm not sure I like this either. RNG-based critical weapon malfunctions sound horrendous, especially in fast ships designed for strike combat where time on target may be quite limited. It makes the ships undesirable as a player, and we already have a number of '-D' variants for this purpose.

Perhaps a reduction in flux stats and/or armor/hull might be a different option?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »

• Added view panning, right-click to toggle

Is this referring to the Intel map?

Cough cough

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »

At least Doom can be configured as a pure brawler.  I disliked missiles and Fast Missile Racks, and simply mounted Pilums as filler.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »

It makes the ships undesirable as a player ...

I'm ok with that for the moment; more concerned with how they feel to fight against. Something like a pure flux stats nerf isn't interesting in that regard.

Cough cough

Oh, right, you were asking about intel map panning: it can pan if the right settings in settings.json are adjusted. By default, it doesn't.

(And no, the above doesn't refer to the intel map, but the main campaign view.)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »

Cough cough

Oh, right, you were asking about intel map panning: it can pan if the right settings in settings.json are adjusted. By default, it doesn't.

(And no, the above doesn't refer to the intel map, but the main campaign view.)

Double awesome!

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »

I'm a little curious about new ships being added while there are lots of major features that need implementation or overhaul. I think we may hit a point of diminishing returns with new ships.

I do agree that that we're getting near that point for frigates but for destroyers, cruisers and capitals? Heck no!

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »

I do agree that that we're getting near that point for frigates but for destroyers, cruisers and capitals? Heck no!

Well we don't even have features for many of the ships already in the game:
-Every fighter
-All these passenger ships with no passengers in the game or missions to carry them

Each additional ship makes the game a small but ever decreasing percent better, but as long as the developer has time to add new ships AND new gameplay features, why not? Except that it becomes a parabola at some point, where bazillions of new ships don't add to the game, but just increase confusion, learning curve, performance demands, etc.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »

We do need an actual military grade drone tender though. Imagine a cruiser launching 4 Terminator drones... oh yisss.

Speaking of Terminator drones, how are they doing with the new phase cloak changes? They arn't dying too fast now, are they? :O

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 08:10:02 PM »

More ships, more weapons = more fun. That's the selling point of mods for me. The game hasn't nearly reached a point where there's good variety on every size level. It could have twice as many ships and weapons and still not reach a point of diminishing returns IMO.

I honestly don't get what could possibly be bad about more ships. Combat is the one mechanic that has been polished quite well early on, and the one around which Starsector revolves. Stuff to use in combat broadens that experience. Other mechanics and modes of entertainment are fine, but we're all here because we dig the combat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40