Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 355116 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.2a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »

Brawler: Unless the "Damper Field" significantly improves flux stats somehow, this looks like a pretty severe nerf to an already rather niche vessel.  I guess we'll see how it plays out, though, given that I don't actually know what that ship system does.

It's a defensive system, and the main reason for boosting the Brawler's flux stats was to allow it to stand up to larger ships in direct combat. One nice thing the system does is make the Brawler's frontal shield and lack of PD less of a liability.
Hm... It occurs to me, there may be a miscommunication here: I look at "flux stats" and my mind immediately goes to "flux dissipation", as that's the primary flux stat that I pay attention to, since it directly governs a ship's sustained offense.  It sounds like what you actually adjusted was flux capacity and/or shield efficiency, which are still "flux stats", but which give a very different feel to what sort of adjustment is actually being made.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »

Wow, so all 4 of those small missile slots on the Aurora could be replaced with, say, AM Blasters? Wowza, talk about alpha strike city... toss up your shields, plow into an enemy ship and unload 6+ AM Blasters into its face - Aurora has the flux stats and speed to do it. :O

Lotsa of neat stuff here! Wasn't expecting two new frigates in addition to the other 2 ships that were revealed. Sad about the Brawler's flux stats nerf though, poor little guys have it rough now (I thought their high flux stats was their defining feature) but hopefully that new Damper Field is a good system. Also, no more Burn Drive cancelling, nooooo! D:

Improvements to the AI are always welcome! Looking forward to the hopefully soon release!

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »

As a member of the fighter lobbyTM, I feel that fighters aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Fighter-heavy fleets work just fine. Leave 'em as they are until officer speed & mobility skills are nerfed and we should see fighter efficiency come back up a little bit.

But yeah, a little speed push wouldn't hurt I suppose. Just nothing drastic. Sensible speed reduction of the worst offenders instead of a speed 'arms race' please!

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 02:57:44 PM »

• Bigger main intel map
Inquiring minds want to know - can we pan it now? There's mod systems as close to the edge of the map as you can be while not being in a storm.

• Burn Drive: now disables venting while active
Well, that's one way to solve the "burn drive AI needs to learn to vent-cancel" complaint, that's for sure :D

RE: AI: I hope the changes improve the tendency of steady captains to move into hitting-them-with-pd range at inopportune moments ...
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Foxd1e

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »

• Bigger main intel map
Inquiring minds want to know - can we pan it now? There's mod systems as close to the edge of the map as you can be while not being in a storm

That would certainly make using SS+ And Nex easier

Also I am excited for the jump destination tool-tips, If it shows nearby abandoned planets it will make figuring out which jump point to use for bounties easier.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »

Cool patch notes.

Is this what you expect to release with 0.7.2a or is there another big batch of changes still incoming?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »

So, when you go auto-hostile with the -20 rep, does that mean that eventually you'll go into vengeful if you don't recover at least 20 rep during peacetime, even if you don't attack them? If so, that'd kinda suck. I can deal with being knocked to say -60 or -50 but inevitably going past that into vengeful even when ignoring that faction is a bummer.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »

It probably caps off at Hostile due to how rep changes work

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »

Can you play with a savefile from the previous version without issues?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »

Hm... It occurs to me, there may be a miscommunication here: I look at "flux stats" and my mind immediately goes to "flux dissipation", as that's the primary flux stat that I pay attention to, since it directly governs a ship's sustained offense.  It sounds like what you actually adjusted was flux capacity and/or shield efficiency

Both flux dissipation and capacity were reduced.

Also I am excited for the jump destination tool-tips, If it shows nearby abandoned planets it will make figuring out which jump point to use for bounties easier.

They do show that info, yeah.

Is this what you expect to release with 0.7.2a or is there another big batch of changes still incoming?

Still working on a couple more things.

So, when you go auto-hostile with the -20 rep, does that mean that eventually you'll go into vengeful if you don't recover at least 20 rep during peacetime, even if you don't attack them? If so, that'd kinda suck. I can deal with being knocked to say -60 or -50 but inevitably going past that into vengeful even when ignoring that faction is a bummer.

It caps out at "hostile" - the -20 penalty is capped by what the original change in reputation was, meaning if there's no change due to making you hostile (i.e. you were already hostile) there's no penalty at the end, either.

Can you play with a savefile from the previous version without issues?

At this point, yes. Being pretty careful about this; won't break it unless it's really necessary.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »

CombatEngineAPI
MutableStat getTimeMult();

Is there no setTimeMult(float m)

Because you know, ships that can alter the fabric of time and space?

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »

I'm guessing it can be modified like any other stat can.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 04:52:04 PM »

I'm guessing it can be modified like any other stat can.

Hm, true that it is a mutable stat.

Hm I guess what I mean is there are two frames of reference of time.

If I am in a normal ship and I see a phase ship 'phase' they start moving at 3x and get 3x AI etc. what is the trick to speeding things up for a AI ship?

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 04:57:51 PM »

woah, 3 new frigates! O:

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »

Overall seems like some solid bugfixes. The hostility/commissions make sense now, and the linear vs quadratic hostilities increase also seems good since hostilities last a long time and even in vanilla everyone always seems to be at war with everyone in .71. edit: I'm a little curious about new ships being added while there are lots of major features that need implementation or overhaul. I think we may hit a point of diminishing returns with new ships.

Luddic Path ships now have built-in "Ill-Advised Modifications" hullmod that gives a small chance of critical weapon malfunctions
Is there no positive effect? If not why would LP make these modifications? Turning certain factions into "hi just kill us so you can level up" is immersion breaking and a genre convention that doesn't fit with starsector's campaign, where it usually feels like the universe is living for itself. Difficulty wise, does anyone have problems with LP? They aren't very plentiful.

Faction commission and hostilities changes
What about cutting the -2 rep when you flee from pirates? It's a slap in the face to people trying to be pirates, and it doesn't make sense that any faction angry enough to attack/kill you would get more angry just from you running away. It feels odd. If pirates let you pay them a bribe with no rep hit, then -2 for fleeing would make sense.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:00:59 PM by nomadic_leader »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40