Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Storm Needler's visual and audio are very underwhelming  (Read 3817 times)

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
Storm Needler's visual and audio are very underwhelming
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:43:49 PM »

For a large weapon named Storm Needler, I kind of expected there to be more than just a single stream of bullets without spreads, and with only light tapping sound.

I really like the audio of some of the high single shot kinetic weapons, like HVD and Gauss Cannon. They strike fear into you if you're in a frigate, and they should.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Storm Needler's visual and audio are very underwhelming
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »

It fires exactly same needles as smaller versions, would be weird if it sounded substantially different.
It also doesn't have impressive per-shot damage, that's why it doesn't sound like weapons that do.

I like current sound design for being quite descriptive.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:46:22 PM »

Storm Needler is the only one in the family without the spread, and that stands out. I like light and medium needlers for who they are, but not the big one.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:20:43 PM »

Eh, its very effective at putting ridiculous amounts of flux into an enemy, but you need a second more bursty weapon running concurrently to force them to vent.

Possibly a bit too hard to fit for what it is, but good weapon nonetheless.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »

Storm Needler has too many flaws to be worth using if you have other options.  It has great DPS, but it is also a flux hog.  Dominator and Onslaught have difficulty supporting more than one.  Storm Needler has wind-up before it shoots needles, and it fires continuously, meaning you cannot vent-spam at all!  (If you try, you lose DPS, and you might as well use Mark IX or Mjolnir.)  It also has less range than other heavy ballistics, 800 instead of 900.  Conquest, the one ship that can support multiple Storm Needlers somewhat effectively, is too squishy to trade shots with a battleship.  Finally, it costs more OP than any other ballistic weapon.

Anytime I would consider Storm Needler, I always mount Mjolnir instead.

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:08:10 AM »

IMHO, all three Needlers could use an SFX replacement. They all sound very weak, Storm Needler especially considering it's a giant gatling cannon. Being consistent with each other is good if they're meant to be firing same kind of projectiles with similar performance, rate of fire and mechanical/weapon accuracy being the distinctive differences, but to my ears the current tapping sound simply doesn't work for any of them, even the Light Needler.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »

Amusingly, the Storm Needler used to be insanely good.  Then it got its flux cost increased.  Maybe all it actually needs is to have a flux cost that's somewhere inbetween what it has now and what it used to have?

Personally, the only thing I'd change about its graphics/sound is to add a very small amount of spread to its shots - equivalent to what the lesser needlers have.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:18 PM »

Current large ship battles are decided in the FIRST VOLLY.

The Storm needler wouldn't even have started firing before you got 50% flux and rising fast.

The spool up is its biggest downfall.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »

As quiet as current needler tapping sound is, the original whistling-like sound was worse.

I like Storm Needler's perfect accuracy; lets it focus on a point of armor and break it down.  Too bad it is not enough to save it from being outperformed by Mjolnir.

Previously, Storm Needler cost less flux and Mjolnir more flux, and Storm Needler was all-powerful and Mjolnir was bad.  Now, the two switched positions - Mjolnir is the all-powerful one, and Storm Needler is kind of lame.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 11:35:43 PM »

Basically, Not only it needs sound remake, but also how it works.

Maybe a regenerating ammo pool like pulse lasers.

Or it shoot it shotgun style..

or w/e etcetc =_=