Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chase Feedback  (Read 1198 times)

OneOhOne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Chase Feedback
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »

More feedback about something that needs to be adjusted rather than a suggestion based off a recent in-game experience.

I go out to do a bounty on a target that has a far larger fleet than I, lure him into a patrol, kill all of the ships but the bounty target's, let it retreat and chase it so I can get full credit for the bounty.  His ship is faster than my fleet of 3 by default.  I however bait him into using his emergency burn without using mine, let him think he's fine, then sneak up on him before his emergency burn is up and use mine to catch him.  Clearly my fleet is faster than his, yet when I try to engage the target after catching him with his emergency burn down it says that I cannot catch him because my fleet is slower.

Seems like a massive oversight of the system when out-maneuvering a target.  Would like to see this fixed in the next release if possible, please.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:45:03 AM »

Yea there's some issues with speed perhaps because campaign and combat have totally different rules and are different games that don't yet work as one together.

-Campaign speed is just a few integers between 6 to 11.
-Emergency burn speeds which adjust these integers by certain factors

-But ship speeds in combat do not relate to their campaign map speeds. In Campaign a fleet of Cerberi (burn 10) can keep catching a fleet of Kites (burn 9) but in combat, the Kites (speed 140) can keep outrunning the Cerberi (speed 110)

-Then there's whatever means the dialog box uses to determine whether you are fast enough to pursue the enemy fleet. Is it burn speed? Is it combat speed of your ships? ???

I agree with you, if you're fast enough to catch the fleet, then you're fast enough to catch the fleet!  ??? The system of dialog boxes and engagement options are abstractions that don't make sense and ways to avoid making the drastic alterations required for the game to actually make sense. There would have to be sweeping changes to the way campaign speed relates to combat and ship system speeds.