Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ambush mechanic  (Read 2038 times)

vlad_1492

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ambush mechanic
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:59:37 AM »

Main idea: Ambush bonus
I favor small sneaky fleets.
I can see others before they see me, and I can slip up to them pretty close.
I'd like to see a bonus of some kind if I catch them unawares.
Say a reduction in the deployment points they can use, for example.
That would let me blaze in, pick off a few, and retreat before they can muster their full forces.

A method comes to mind. Note time of initial contact, time of engagement, do math.
Very short = very chaotic.

One problem I see is abusing this as a bottleneck to deal with large fleets piecemeal.
Perhaps a timer, say five minutes, then the restriction is lifted.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush mechanic
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:53:16 PM »

Sneaky is not very practical, you know the sensor range can be a few light years? Even a fleet went dark, you could still detect them as "a swarm of unknown objects" until it's close enough to be identified. So basically there is no stealth right now, only low sensor profile fleets that make the patrols headache.
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush mechanic
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »

cf this thread starting at about this post for further discussion of ambush mechanics, the argument for why they should be in the game, and a couple very different approaches to them.

short summary of my view: I agree that the game would benefit from something like this, but I think we should just drastically change combat so that all fleets have to deploy all their ships, so that ambushes just become an organic part of combat perpetrated by fleets solely of fast ships. The discussion in that thread was pretty extensive and I don't know if I can add much new to it here. But another guy, Cik, suggested something like an ambush mechanic that would more or less keep the deployment points system but modify it in the way you suggest.