Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Phase Cloaking - a Deep Dive  (Read 57625 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Phase Cloaking - a Deep Dive
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »

Oh? How are ya gonna solve the corner camping? Seems like a touchy subject what with allowing AI ships to fly out of bounds but not the player ship.

You'll just have to try it and see :) There's no rule-breaking, though.

You think timid officers are annoying now? Try allowing them to fly out of bounds.

Speaking of that - timid get replaced with cautious in all AI fleets; part of the patch notes, which are now up.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »

Ahh, thank you Alex. Going through list of changes right now, and it seems most of my concerns have been addressed. :D

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2016, 04:56:41 PM »

Oddly enough, the fast-time shenanigans came along before the phase changes for another reason, and then just seemed like a good fit for phase cloaking.
was just about to ask if it was related to the Scarab, but i think the patch notes answered that. ^_^

is it just the phase cloak time stuff without phase cloak now, or does the Temporal Shell have other effects?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2016, 06:18:52 PM »

I guess enemies will actually be brave and not avoid the corner.  Either that, or there is wraparound like in Asteroids.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »

You know what'd be interesting, now that we can modify time?  If time slows down as you approach the map border.  Something like that might work well as a "soft" edge to the map, rather than the current hard edge.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2016, 11:26:56 PM »

It might be kinda neat if fighting near a wormhole would make the wormhole a combat environment feature, and approaching it would dilate time.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2016, 06:03:59 AM »

You know what'd be interesting, now that we can modify time?  If time slows down as you approach the map border.  Something like that might work well as a "soft" edge to the map, rather than the current hard edge.
but that would likely mean that either moving as close to the border as possible (if it speeds up time) or trying to push your enemy there (if it slows time) would be advantageous. so that might be counterproductive if the goal is to keep battles away from the border, as borders in space are something you don't really want the player to notice all the time.

It might be kinda neat if fighting near a wormhole would make the wormhole a combat environment feature, and approaching it would dilate time.
ooh, that sounds cool! if local time speeds up the closer you get to the wormhole, its center would become a natural 'capture point' that gives a big advantage to a fleet that can defend it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2016, 07:09:56 AM »

To be fair, I noticed the border when I needed a solution for a battleship to survive an attack by more than a dozen Hounds/Wolves/Tempest/phase frigates at once.  If I go to corner, then enemy frigates cannot surround my battleship and fewer get to shoot at it.  With fewer hostiles that can attack, my battleship can pick them off more easily.  This especially helps Onslaught since it has few guns aimed at the rear (and they get taken by dual flak to stop fighters and torpedoes).

With possible border cheese, Onslaught is probably the better of two between it and Paragon, somewhat.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:55 PM »

Does it make sense there's a subspace inside hyperspace though? Maybe the phase ships wouldn't work there, to give terrain a bigger impact on combat.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]