Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IndieDB  (Read 2283 times)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
IndieDB
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »

I'm sure this has been said before, but I think for a small game by an unknown publisher like Fractalsoftworks, it bears repeating. IndieDB is a great way for people who play indie games to track the development of, hear of, and fund Starfarer, as updates to games-- many of them far crappier than Starfarer-- often make it to the front page of the site. Plus it's connected to ModDB and gets some views from that too.

A disclaimer: I don't work for or even have an IndieDB account, so if there's some hidden contract business I don't know about, feel free to ignore this, but the more word gets out about Starfarer, the more people will alpha fund it and the better the final product will be. If that boring grind Space Pirates and Zombies can have a page, I'm sure Starfarer can too.

I heard of Starfarer through Rockpapershotgun, which isn't that big of a gaming news site, and I'm sure others heard of it through Totalbiscuit, who has a pretty devoted and large following (myself included), but Starfarer could always use more people.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: IndieDB
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »

There actually aren't really any qualifications to put something on Indie/moddb. Pretty much any news post/game profile will be approved as long as it isn't abysmally stupid. But I'm pretty sure I remember Alex saying he'd wait to put it on IndieDB until Starfarer is closer to completion.

Also, interestingly, that's where I heard of Starfarer from--there's another game on there called "Starfare", and somebody posted a link to here in the comments section.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: IndieDB
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »

I thought as much, thanks for the clarification. The Word of Alex is often hard to find...

But yeah, I definitely had a feeling that the bar was very low for entry on IndieDB, given some of the stuff that's on there.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.