Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera and zoom.  (Read 5800 times)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Camera and zoom.
« on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »

When I assign ships without having my commander in the group, i can seem to zoom out at all. When i press zoom out it immediately goes to the fleet screen..  This is so dumb i cant believe its intended behavior. Is there a fix? File edit?

Also, I dont think you can zoom out enough..the level seems off and the POV even from max zoom seems to ill support a tactical game. When you have a ship on the board with enhanced combat sensors it should enable extra levels of zoom....or tie it to some of the useless skills in Logistics.

Btw, can anyone tell me how to edit those values?? The entire logistics tree is underwhelming compared to Combat and Science.   

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Camera and zoom.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »

In starsector-core\data\config\settings.json, you have

"minCombatZoom":0.5, # zoomed in all the way
"maxCombatZoom":1.75, # zoomed out all the way

maxCombatZoom is what you're looking for here. Try changing it to a value between 2 and 3.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:43:04 PM »

many thanks!

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:47:49 PM »

Having tried out different max zoom levels, I have to say the default level of 1.75 is still my favorite. A higher number may help you grasp the overall picture of the battle, but it reduces the visibility of the firing arc and makes some missiles (like sabots) less distinguishable.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:52:28 AM »

i dont need it to fight, but i use several enhanced combat sensors AWACS ships that are useless without being able to zoom out further.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »

When I assign ships without having my commander in the group, i can seem to zoom out at all. When i press zoom out it immediately goes to the fleet screen.

Could you clarify what you mean? I can't think of a scenario where zooming out would open up another screen instead, so this sounds like it could possibly be a bug, but I'm having a hard time understanding the set of circumstances you're describing. (Things that I couldn't exactly figure out: "assign ships", "commander in the group", "fleet screen".)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »

Its where you enter battle, deploy ships but if you don't deploy your flagship (or transfer command into one) your screen will stay stuck at the bottom of the map. He wants to be able to freely pan his screen around when he doesn't have a ship that hes controlling. Like you'd pan around an RTS map.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »

Yes, thats it exactly...if i dont deploy the fleet commander, the camera goes absolutely crazy.... I keep having to hit F to focus on a ship and the zoom controls become disabled...pressing the zoom key then keeps taking me back to the strategic map....makes it VERY hard to play without actually using X to transfer my POV to another ship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:57 PM »

Ahh, thank you both for explaining. This is indeed a bug - it'll cancel show video feed if it's bound to a keyboard key instead of the mousewheel. Fixed. (I have to say, it's kind of a pain to use when bound to a keyboard key anyway, though.)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 01:23:39 PM »

The trackman FX doesnt have a mousewheel ;)   Its still the best gaming mouse out there...and im used to page up and page down already for zoom functions in other games.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »

Kinda hard to be "the best gaming mouse out there" without a scrollwheel. Granted, switching weapons in FPS is best done through custom binds, but there are loads of games that badly need a scrollwheel.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 09:41:12 PM »

None that i happen to play lol.