Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Disabled Ships as Control Points: Babysitting, Capture and Recovery  (Read 6539 times)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Disabled Ships as Control Points: Babysitting, Capture and Recovery
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »

Wouldn't that be an extra job for the CPU, making the already laggy map, being even more intense? I can't evne imagine a nexerelin large map XD
Ignorance is bliss..

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »

There actually used to be a mod that would do just that, it just didn't have ship recovery. from what i remember, it wasn't too bad on performance either.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »

make the threshold of battle size reasonable (so small battles wouldn't really generate them) and i doubt it would be bad. the only problem  i could foresee is if they last too long you might get an accumulation of old wreckfields over time and the number of them would keep growing, however this could be solved by destroying them earlier if the number of fields in the game gets too high to preserve memory/CPU limits.

i think it would probably be better than boarding now as it is, while still making it a reasonably risky prospect, but with a high theoretical reward.

it would also give purpose to the construction rigs or new repair gantry ships.

basically it's a good idea. though i'm biased obv. because i suggested it.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »

Wouldn't that be an extra job for the CPU, making the already laggy map, being even more intense? I can't evne imagine a nexerelin large map XD

What part of "AI would salvage too" escapes you?
Most debris field wouldn't last long, but if performance is a problem, you can have the field auto-dissapear after enough time passed (1-2 game months?)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 04:15:32 AM »

I do not know how all the affect the game. All I can imagine is mapwide battles would create debris fields, and probably galaxy wide that would tie in with events, or maybe not. Those debris in their own would be calculated as in what they should contain, depending the battle that happened and what luck would leave there intact. Then these debris fields would trigger fleets nearby, or spawn specific pirate and salvage fleets, so they would be "cleaned". Whichever debris would be left, would poof like you said. I do not understand what wait calculations like these would add to the already slow at times map. Well slow at times for me, when there are a handful of fleets going back and forth. If anything, because the "AI would salvage too" did not escape me, I guessed the CPU usage would be higher.

I am not criticizing the idea. I am just talking about it. StarSchulz pointed out a mod existed like that and it did not hit the performance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:30:33 PM by weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 07:20:22 PM »

At some point the CPU requirements for Starsector would end up being the top-tier super-beefy processors, if that would happen.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 01:06:38 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8555.0

Tradewinds II- it hasn't been updated to 0.7.1 yet. The salvage fields disappear after three in game days, and from the time i used it i had no problems.
Pages: 1 [2]