Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Missions that take 100 units & Cargo Frigates  (Read 1126 times)

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
Missions that take 100 units & Cargo Frigates
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:12:13 AM »

When starting new games, I find myself constantly miffed by missions that require 100 units of deliverables; the Cerberus and Shepherd both top out at exactly 100.  While it's interesting in that it encourages you to use the overload mechanic, I find it a little weird that a load quantity that is specifically very difficult for standard 'tramp freighters' should be common amongst mission-issuers.  Maybe it's Tri-Tachyon corporate rules?

Notably, this means that these ships have no missions advantage over a Hound or Mudskipper (75 cargo each), as both of those can just as easily conduct 10- and 50-unit missions.

Similarly, freight range for destroyer+ cargo vessels ranges from 250-450, with 300 being the benchmark quantity for Tarsus and Buffalo freighters.  But missions for 500 are common for the 'mid range but achievable' cargo amounts. 

This isn't a problem really, but IMO either missions or ship cargo quantities should be structured around each other. 

FAKE EDIT:

Actually, this gives me an idea. Perhaps the unit size for each faction's missions should be based off of their commonly-used cargo vessels, or off fixed values defined by the faction. For example, a faction that commonly used Cerberus (cargo size 100) and Gemini freighters (cargo size 250) would typically issue missions for ~80 and ~210 units.  But a faction that used Hounds and Tarsus freighters would issue missions for ~60 and ~250 units

Then you'd have the super-sized missions on top of that, for the truely ambitious freight convoy.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:15:39 AM by ChaseBears »
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!