Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Slight Tweaks and Small Ideas  (Read 2261 times)

jakartablessed

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Slight Tweaks and Small Ideas
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:26:53 AM »

I know some of these ideas are probably already on here somewhere, but I'm pretty slow to acclimate to forum cultures and I find search tools a little bit hard to work with. Space on the internet being theoretically infinite, here we go:

1. Please add a dialogue box preventing the player from immediately switching on the transponder when doing so would alert a faction to the player's hostile actions. I did this a couple times in my first game in 7.1a, and, well, you can imagine that I felt a bit frustrated when I learned that "vengeful" is an impossible reputation status to get out of.

2. Turning Radius! This might not be a slight tweak or a small idea, but what about inertia? Specifically, in campaign mode (or whatever flying around star systems is called), there seems to be very little advantage to operating a fleet of small, light ships when fleeing from a fleet full of large, heavy ships, aside from certain terrain areas. If they can match your maximum burn, they can stay on you indefinitely, which is strange since I would intuitively expect heavy fleets to have wider turning radiuses than light ones. Honestly, it's kinda weird to be pursued by three or four hegemony patrols full of massive ships and being unable to shake them with a fleet consisting of a few frigates.

3. The ability to bribe the commanders of patrol fleets and, say, dockmasters or station commanders of otherwise hostile ports. Also, bribing in order to improve reputation with that faction.

4. A button to let the player orbit a planet passively, i.e. so one can take advantage of a planet's ring system to hide without having to periodically move one's fleet to keep up with the planet's orbital motion.

5. Let player fleets take shelter in space stations, or hide in the shadows of barren rocky moons, such that time can pass in the star system without the player being present or vulnerable to attack.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
Re: Slight Tweaks and Small Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:57:26 AM »

2.What  of a good idea, it would the simulation more complex, but as in combat, the ships with huge mass should have inertia to match.

3. The ability to bribe the commanders of patrol fleets and, say, dockmasters or station commanders of otherwise hostile ports. Also, bribing in order to improve reputation with that faction.

I am  totally on board with that, Steiner Foundation and Nexerelin show how much less of a grind it can be to join certain factions (everybody loves money, right?).

Right now it's impossible to be a drug runner for long as pirates will try to attack your fleet and whether you flee or fight, your rep with them will eventually dip into vengeful and you can no longer run their drug contracts.

5. I like the hiding in stations or maybe in asteroid fields or on moons to stay completely invisible.

jakartablessed

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »

After I wrote my OP I noticed that clicking on an asteroid does allow you to passively orbit whatever body the asteroid is orbiting. Your fleet just stays on top of the asteroid and can get the benefits of hiding in a ring system, etc.. I had tried it before, but I thought it didn't work. Still though!

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:05:01 PM »

In a thread somewhere it was confirmed for the next patch that when you stop moving your fleet it will orbit with the terrain like NPC's do.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »

If I am not mistaken, 1 is already in the game but the message is at the top of the screen and colored like a dark orange. Also I think the color around the transponder icon changes to the same orange
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

jakartablessed

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »

If I am not mistaken, 1 is already in the game but the message is at the top of the screen and colored like a dark orange. Also I think the color around the transponder icon changes to the same orange

I didn't see anything at the top of the screen when I was playing. Just switched on my transponder and oops. The coloration of the icon doesn't really stand out.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:12:36 AM »

I didn't see anything at the top of the screen when I was playing. Just switched on my transponder and oops. The coloration of the icon doesn't really stand out.
If you try to switch the transponder, first the icon will turn orange and flash, and it will give a confirmation message at the top of the screen. Pressing the button again will actually flip from off to on or vise versa.