Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [MASSIVE SPOILERS DO NOT ENTER UNLESS YOU"VE SEEN THE MOVIE] Star Wars TFA  (Read 11449 times)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile

So, this is obviously going to be a spoilerific thread. Do not read further unless you've seen the movie or don't care about spoilers
Spoiler
Seriously though, don't click on unless you want spoiled
Spoiler
Why are you still clicking?
Spoiler
last chance before spoilers
Spoiler
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( that ripped my heart out
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: [MASSIVE SPOILERS DO NOT ENTER UNLESS YOU"VE SEEN THE MOVIE] Star Wars TFA
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »

Just watched it. I think the scene you probably mean was perfect. Such a dramatic way to go, and great to develop a character, and to have a WTF twist (that you were kinda afraid it was coming just made it better IMO). My girlfriend cried, though.

Overall best Star Wars part for me.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »

why the hell did Female Lead comfort leia instead of Chewie  :-\

So much screwed up stuff.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »

So...... a mixed bag.

It felt like a film of two halves.
The dividing line was the imperial First Order attack on Maz Kanata's castle.

Everything up to this point, I really liked.
- The pacing was good
- The dialogue was quite good too; introduced the characters well, progressed their relationships, hinted at their origins, and even had some comedic one-liners.
- The plot was mostly believable
- The action sequences were impressive while still being meaningful.

If the entire film had been like that, I think the film would have been a resounding success. (8.5/10)

The 2nd half....... urg, it had lots of problems.
- The pacing was far too quick, like they were trying to cram a 3 hour story into a 2 hour movie. (a flaw that Episode IV possessed too)
- Character interactions were forced. Characters who'd known each other for just minutes of screen time, and had no joint experiences, were distraught/consoling one-another.
- Action sequences became ungrounded, and bombastic - serving no purpose other than to fill the 'space explosions' quota & progress the plot
- The Mega-deathstar. Wow, what a mess. A contrived plot device that was poorly explained, cheesy as hell, and ill-fitting with the 1st half of the movie.
- Carrie Fisher might as well have not been in the film - she served no purpose whatsoever.
- The final scene(s) made little sense; for all the alliance resistance had gone through in acquiring the location of Luke, they send the bucket of bolts alone, manned by a walking carpet & no-name scavenger from Jakku?
Obviously this is explainable given Leia's knowledge of who Rey really is (though I'm sure the rest of the resistance leaders might contest such a decision), but this reasoning hasn't yet been explained to the audience.

That's not to say I hated the 2nd half - it had some redeeming parts.
-Rey's character development was good (though the mindtrick was a little far fetched).
-
Spoiler
Han's
[close]
death was good
Spoiler
(though incredibly obvious from the moment Leia said 'bring him back to us')
[close]
-The saber duel was good, though again a little far fetched.

2nd half gets a 5/10.

Biggest surprise;
Harrison Ford didn't suck!
After the latest Indiana movie, and that crumby "It's true. All of it." scene they put in the trailers, I didn't expect much from him.
As it turns out, he was one of, if not the, strongest character.

Favorite characters;
Han Solo, Rey, BB-8, Maz Kanata.

Finn..... I'm not completely sold on. His dialogue wasn't the best, and he seemed under-developed.
Poe Dameron..... seemed rather pointless to me. He was the Biggs Darklighter of the movie. (though written into the plot in such a way that he couldn't be as easily cut out as he was from Episode 4)

Overall, a 7/10.

If Episode 8 follows the trends of Episode 7's 1st half, we're in for a treat.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:16:28 PM by TJJ »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 02:53:21 AM »

I thought the whole thing was pretty average. Getting off Jakku was decent. Everything else? Meh... didn't we see this already in episode 4? It felt like they were just going through the motions- Finn and Rey were the only convincing actors.

The only thing I wholeheartedly approve of was Rey becoming the Jedi. Kylo Ren was also pretty entertaining (especially his ragequits), although he ruined the mood whenever he took that mask off. I think the first time he took it off he shook around his hair in a bit of a "***, I'm fabulous!" move.

Best line from the movie was Finn explaining how he was a janitor on the new, improved, death star. The art was great, especially the first scene with Rey scavenging the parts in the burnt out star destroyer.

Agree with TJJ wholeheartedly about the film going downhill after the attack on the castle.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:55:04 AM by kazi »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:02:15 AM »

Mh, the movie had problems, no question. I still think that even its worst scenes were still better than the best scenes of Episode I-III. *shrug*

My main gripe was that the space battles lacked a sense of scale. Is the entire fighting force of the resistance made up of one squadron of X-Wings? No fleet? And what does the destruction of those five planets mean? Death blow or opening strike?

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:19:19 AM »

Best line from the movie was Finn explaining how he was a janitor on the new, improved, death star. The art was great, especially the first scene with Rey scavenging the parts in the burnt out star destroyer.
i hated that bit. IMO it was crammed in there JUST to make the trash compactor joke. 

to solve the problems of Finn not knowing *** in service of this joke, we'll just have them randomly gank the super high ranked elite stormtrooper, who despite being a brainwashed fanatic is totally willing to take down this incredibly important shield generator.   yeah we did it we made the referans! urgh. 

The biggest badass in the whole movie was that one stormtrooper with the crappy spinning electro maul.  I guess it's using Cortosis Weave?  GG KOTOR.

My main gripe was that the space battles lacked a sense of scale. Is the entire fighting force of the resistance made up of one squadron of X-Wings? No fleet? And what does the destruction of those five planets mean? Death blow or opening strike?
They officially blew up the Galactic Republic, on its five total planets, with their splitseeking faster than light laser that everyone could see slowly coming at them.  The Republic was totally defending the resistance, and that defense apparently amounted to writing stern letters that Sovereign Snape spent 98% of his time answering.

I'm actually kinda confused why they ddin't just blow up Coruscant. What's with the other planets? Maybe they blew up Mon Cala?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:23:10 AM by ChaseBears »
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »

They did blow up Coruscant. Which is about on par with JJ Abrams last movie where they blew up Vulcan.

Also, I dont usually post videos (I hate clicking on things), but this one is *** priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSgJeVwjnpc
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:33:28 PM by kazi »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »

They did blow up Coruscant.

I'm confused; were the planets destroyed by the Starkiller base located all over the Galaxy, or in the same star system?

I thought they were all in the same system, and I distinctly remember the main characters looking up into the sky & seeing the beam(s).
This would obviously indicate the heros were either in the same system as Starkiller base, or the same system as one of the targeted planet(s)

Though I can't remember which planet they were on when they saw the beam(s). I guess it was Takodana?

Honestly, I'd rather forget the Starkiller base existed at all - it was by far the worst part of the movie. (As a plot device. There wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with the scenes set inside it, in fact some of them were quite good)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:05:40 PM by TJJ »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »

They were all in the Hosnian system, with Hosnian Prime being the capital planet of the New Republic. Coruscant was not in the movie. The part about them seeing the beams doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever, except if you take it as a visual storytelling crutch. Maybe they saw them flying past, lol.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »

I'm no expert in Star Wars universe, but are they supposed to blow an entire faction homeworld with bunch of Tachyon Lancea FTL laser weapon that didn't appeared on series before, or explained very well?

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 06:46:38 AM »

It was way better than the prequels, I expected it to be like the new Star Trek movies and I was pleasantly surprised.
I feel like some of the acting was not perfect, some of the jokes felt out of place and too American?
There also were many redundant explanatory lines that could have been cut.
Props for the beginning shuttle scene that was taken from the old Dune movie, that was nice.
Too many throwbacks to the old movies, would have liked to see less of the original trilogy actors, felt a little like a fan film.
What was the deal with The Rebel Alliance staying rebels after Republic was reformed, what was the relationship between New Order and Republic? the backstory was not adequately explained.
Another superweapon several times more ridiculous than the Death Star, really now.
The absurdity of the weapon that somehow can shoot it's death beam in faster than light speed, without going to hyperspace and afterwards the beam splits perfectly into smaller beams each homing on a planet. I know Star Wars is a space opera but that did not make any sense with the rules they had established in previous movies.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile

It was okay, nothing special so far as I'm concerned. About the same as all of the other SW films, to be honest. At least it was consistent in terms of entertainment.