Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Show list of nearest objects to hyperspace entrance  (Read 9701 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Show list of nearest objects to hyperspace entrance
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 07:43:28 PM »

It's good Alex, but maybe this and all the other little popups flavor texts over planets and the F1 tooltip expansions in campaign should be modal dialog boxes that pause the game until you press an OK/enter button on them?

To read any of the F1 texts or planet popups you would be insane to not pause campaign, since you're eating supplies and could get jumped by pirates while reading about what the terrain type does. Also you have to move your mouse over them which interferes with your ability to manuever the fleet if need be. So why doesn't the game just pause itself for you when you click on one of these things? When you mouseover a planet/hypergate a little "i icon should appear, you click on it, and then it brings up the dialog box.

As a result I don't bother reading them. So the UI actively discourages players from getting invested in the lore, because nobody wants to manually pause for what should be a dialog box.

And then all the places where the game shouldn't pause, it does- like everytime I take off from a planet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:45:21 PM by nomadic_leader »

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »

It's in the tooltip, so you can see it from wherever. The gravimetric sensors are, uh, not affected by range due to the specifics of hyperwave interactions that are poorly understood in these troubled times.

... sounds legit...  ;D

Also, (although I realise it's probably a WIP) maybe call it 'Nearby Stellar Entities', 'Nearby Astronomical Objects' or some other space-y sounding term instead of 'Nearby objects' :)

It kinda maybe makes sense that space-time should be distorted around gravity wells (as per gas giants giving entry points to a system) so planets could manifest as slight dimples in the hyperspace map.

I think this is really the best solution - have disturbances where the planets are, and if mouseovered they give their names. No need for lists and distances, the player can just see from hyperspace where things are. No extra UI either.

Also a fan of this in addition to the tool tip.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »

Awesome! Huge QoL improvement.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »

It's good Alex, but maybe this and all the other little popups flavor texts over planets and the F1 tooltip expansions in campaign should be modal dialog boxes that pause the game until you press an OK/enter button on them?

To read any of the F1 texts or planet popups you would be insane to not pause campaign, since you're eating supplies and could get jumped by pirates while reading about what the terrain type does. Also you have to move your mouse over them which interferes with your ability to manuever the fleet if need be. So why doesn't the game just pause itself for you when you click on one of these things? When you mouseover a planet/hypergate a little "i icon should appear, you click on it, and then it brings up the dialog box.

As a result I don't bother reading them. So the UI actively discourages players from getting invested in the lore, because nobody wants to manually pause for what should be a dialog box.

I'm not sure how "mouse over and click button that pops up" is better than "mouse over and press spacebar". Pressing space is easier (no need to aim at a button) and tooltips are less onerous to get out of. You don't lose your current context, and there's no transition time. Yes, you're generally supposed to pause when you read tooltips, but pausing is really easy. And then there are the cases where you *can* get some info out of a tooltip without pausing - for example, when you just want to read the name of the planet.

Also consider the UI flow required to check 5-6 jump points if to get this information you had to click on an entity. It'd be mouse-over, click, dialog comes up, switch where you're looking, read, close, repeat 5-6x. With tooltips, you pause once, move the mouse around a couple of times, unpause, and you're done. There's just no comparison.

It kinda maybe makes sense that space-time should be distorted around gravity wells (as per gas giants giving entry points to a system) so planets could manifest as slight dimples in the hyperspace map.

I think this is really the best solution - have disturbances where the planets are, and if mouseovered they give their names. No need for lists and distances, the player can just see from hyperspace where things are. No extra UI either.

Also a fan of this in addition to the tool tip.

The problem there is that the spacing of jump points in hyperspace is not done to relative scale with the system. Trying to add in these extra disturbances so that they'd never overlap would be troublesome. For example, consider a gas giant with a bunch of moons. There may not be enough room around its gravity well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »

Also, (although I realise it's probably a WIP) maybe call it 'Nearby Stellar Entities', 'Nearby Astronomical Objects' or some other space-y sounding term instead of 'Nearby objects' :)

I can see where you're coming from, but isn't "objects" also fairly spacey? The list could include space stations and such, so the term has to be pretty generic. Open to suggestions, though - it feels like there's a much better one out there that I can't quite put a finger on.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »

Also consider the UI flow required to check 5-6 jump points if to get this information you had to click on an entity. It'd be mouse-over, click, dialog comes up, switch where you're looking, read, close, repeat 5-6x. With tooltips, you pause once, move the mouse around a couple of times, unpause, and you're done. There's just no comparison.

Hmm yes it wouldn't make sense for a group of jump points.

But for the tooltips and the blurbs over the planets it's currently: pause, move, read, upause. If it was clickable it would be click, read, exit. I guess its that for planets/tooltips at least, 95% of the time you'd prefer to read them paused so why retain manual? But yea those situations where there are a group of objects you want to read in one go. Maybe I'm the only one so intent on reading planet descriptions without distraction.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 06:14:21 AM »

Open to suggestions, though - it feels like there's a much better one out there that I can't quite put a finger on.

Destinations? Cause on the list are only things you might want to go to, while objects would technically include asteroids and such.

Mhh...maybe these dialogs could also warn you if an enemy fleet is near the exit? I jumped on top an enemy a few times.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »

Mhh...maybe these dialogs could also warn you if an enemy fleet is near the exit? I jumped on top an enemy a few times.

Yeah, was half-thinking about that as a side-perk of a perk at some point. The main "see nearby ... objects" feature is too important to lock away, but detecting fleets seems about right for that.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »

Yeah, was half-thinking about that as a side-perk of a perk at some point. The main "see nearby ... objects" feature is too important to lock away, but detecting fleets seems about right for that.

Navigation skill unlock.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 08:14:23 PM »

It's in the tooltip, so you can see it from wherever. The gravimetric sensors are, uh, not affected by range due to the specifics of hyperwave interactions that are poorly understood in these troubled times.
Wave that hand! Wave iiiiiiiiiit.  :)  Mock up looks good.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 09:17:25 PM »

Navigation skill unlock.

Can't see how this goes into Navigation perk... Lore-wise, that is.
Pages: 1 [2]