Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Music API feedback after updating things for 0.7.1a  (Read 1271 times)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Music API feedback after updating things for 0.7.1a
« on: December 11, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »

Finally made an update after an incredibly long time without, here's some feedback on how things work in terms of the music APIs.

-playMusic() seems to override EVERYTHING, even when it shouldn't. Once you've called SoundPlayerAPI.playMusic(), it doesn't stop until the song is done. This is problematic, as a song played in missions bleeds across into the title screen, songs from the title screen bleed into missions, etc.. Ideally playing a song with playMusic() should stop once the vanilla game would normally play a song (such as a screen transition, etc.). The current implementation requires hacks like this so that tracks don't bleed over into screens they shouldn't.

-We need a way to programmatically add music tracks to a music category. Right now if one modder adds an entry for "music_campaign" in sounds.json, it will override another modder's "music_campaign" entry. In an ideal world, there should be a solution to merge each of these entries, so that players get twice the music. Although there's only really 3 people writing music for the game right now (Cycerin, Psiyon, me), it'd be nice if players weren't forced to choose one over the others by default (variety is nice!).

-Music should not be filtered using a lowpass filter when adding terrain sfx in the campaign layer. For all tracks besides the vanilla campaign music track, this sounds really weird when traversing the edge of a nebula or other terrain feature. I don't think of myself as very good at music mixing, etc., but it sounds much better when decreasing the volume with "campaignMusicVolumeMult" instead of "campaignMusicFilterGainHF" in settings.json.