Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Reputation loss in 0.7.1a  (Read 5303 times)

Noxxys

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Reputation loss in 0.7.1a
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:48:21 PM »

Hi, I'm having fun so far, but my biggest concern is the constant loss of reputation, mainly these 2 things:

1. If I'm not an enemy of each enemy of my allied faction, I'm regularly losing 5 points of reputation per faction. This doesn't make sense, why would they care if I'm not an enemy of the whole universe?
2. If I trade with an enemy of my allied faction, I'm losing reputation even though I turn the transponder off and I only use  the black market. How would my allied faction know what I'm going when I'm incognito? Sure, they can have spies, but the loss should be lower and less frequent.

Cheers

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Reputation loss in 0.7.1a
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »

1. They are bloodthirsty war pigs who want more blood for the blood god.

2. The minor reputation hit represents suspicions even if they do not have hard proof.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:43 PM »

1. Fine-tuning the details here. The reasoning is that if you've got a commission from a faction, and you're not hostile with their enemies, they're not going to be happy. What did they give you the commission *for*?

2. The reputation hit is lower when your transponder is off. People talk, and it's not like having the transponder off makes you invisible. The difference between rumors and something being proven to a legal standard.

Noxxys

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 02:59:38 AM »

Thanks for the replies. It didn't realize it came with the commission. Maybe more text (or later, some kind of dialog with your commanding officer, that could be cool) would help players understand that they are now part of the military and expected to attack the enemies of the faction on sight. Or maybe automatically turn the enemies of the faction hostile to you while you're on commision (let's say you'll be flying with the faction's colors or something in your transponder will identify you as military). I'm not sure which option I prefer.

For the second point, after getting used to it, and doing more legal trade than smuggling, I'd say it's probably well tuned already.

Cheers

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 04:50:32 AM »

Thanks for the replies. It didn't realize it came with the commission. Maybe more text (or later, some kind of dialog with your commanding officer, that could be cool) would help players understand that they are now part of the military and expected to attack the enemies of the faction on sight. Or maybe automatically turn the enemies of the faction hostile to you while you're on commision (let's say you'll be flying with the faction's colors or something in your transponder will identify you as military). I'm not sure which option I prefer.

For the second point, after getting used to it, and doing more legal trade than smuggling, I'd say it's probably well tuned already.

Cheers
You do automatically turn hostile with your faction's enemies once you accept the commission. It's only the random hostility events that'll start causing you to lose rep for not being hostile with faction enemies. It's a bit annoying sometimes when war breaks out between e.g. the Hegemony and the Luddic Church and you're in Aztlan, so you need to head all the way across the sector to find a Luddic fleet to attack and then get dinged for -5 rep before you can get there. But given you've got a commission, it's really easy to make that up. -5 is just two combats worth of rep. I could see giving the player a grace period though, just to prevent annoyance.

Noxxys

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »

Ah ok, I see. Thanks.
In the future, if there is such a feature added, this could trigger missions from the military to go kill X ships of the enemy faction. This would be presented directly to the player, like a direct order from their military HQ, instead of having to browse the mission list at the station to see it. Not following the orders could imply a loss of reputation.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »

Ah ok, I see. Thanks.
In the future, if there is such a feature added, this could trigger missions from the military to go kill X ships of the enemy faction. This would be presented directly to the player, like a direct order from their military HQ, instead of having to browse the mission list at the station to see it. Not following the orders could imply a loss of reputation.

Hmm given that it's direct military orders, disobeying, after YOU signed up would probably convey a hefty rep loss.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:48 AM »

honestly, I think it's moronic. I JUST got the commission, every faction hates me now, and Tri Tach still thinks I am conspiring so my favorability of 69 dropped to 61, then down to 50 ONE DAY LATER.

So, yeah, stupid idea. I can murder pirates for weeks but because I am in the wrong part of space to punch the luddic church in the ***, I lose 5 favorability every day.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:23:16 AM »

Also, pointing out that turning off your transponder does not reduce loss of favorability.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:12 AM »

5 a day? Really?

Could've sworn I ducked out on an entire war lasting months BT the tritach and luddic church and still had favourable reply... More like 5 a week or month, I think
mmm.... tartiflette

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 06:44:34 AM »

5 a day? Really?

Could've sworn I ducked out on an entire war lasting months BT the tritach and luddic church and still had favourable reply... More like 5 a week or month, I think

Yeah, it's definitely slow enough that, if your faction is at war with two other factions, and you're only fighting one of them, your rep gains from fighting the one enemy will easily outpace your rep losses from not fighting the other.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 06:50:31 AM »

It's -5 a month. You can comfortably hold your rep when doing bounties and ignoring the war. As long as there's just one.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.