Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2 Mild suggestion (locational armor + ship boarding)  (Read 17386 times)

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Mild suggestion (locational armor + ship boarding)
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 07:11:51 AM »

Good god! Is that warhammer I see?

That it is.... and a Battlefleet Gothic mod for this game would be awesome  :D

I totally agree with you whole heartedly sir!

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »

My feelings on increased ship customisation are as such:
1) Fluffwise, doesn't fit at all.
2) Less polishing blade and more stabbing people please.

Deathven

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »

2) Less polishing blade and more stabbing people please.

I like this quote a lot.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with that philosophy in regards to how it applies to this game. So much in battle control is taken out of your hands, it seems natural to me to help make up for that by imposing a high degree of OUT of battle control.

That said, locational armor doesn't seem like the kind of 'polishing' I like. Better boarding is always good though, as long as it doesn't happen in the battle because that suggestion needs to die. We're in spaceships people, not an 18th century galley.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »

WARNING THIS NEEDS TO BE TESTED FURTHER
:o I think I just figured out how to have locational armor. While messing around with redbulls ship editor I realized that you could do all sorts of things with the bounding; making weird shapes with it, going over the same area twice.

So recently I was trying to make a weak point on a ship and I was messing around with the boundings. My line of thought was since the armor calculation is based on surrounding armor why don't I just make a skinny section that has very little armor nearby. What I ended up doing, while experimenting, was make overlapping bounds. What this seems to have done is actually make a strong point. I did the opposite and it seems to be a weak point. I do think this has something to do with the armor-calc, however I am not sure if this really works. If anyone else wants to see if they can reproduce this let me know

WARNING THIS NEEDS TO BE TESTED FURTHER

Armor calculation is actually based on the ship image, not the bounds. The bounds are used to determine whether a hit is registered, but armor is done by examining the alpha transparency of the pixels in the ship's image. Your total number of pixels > 0.5 alpha determines your "total armor area." Each pixel is grouped into a larger grid of armor, with each grid section tracking its own armor value.

All you'll accomplish with overlapping bounds is potentially double-hitting (though I doubt that's possible either).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »

Armor calculation is actually based on the ship image, not the bounds. The bounds are used to determine whether a hit is registered, but armor is done by examining the alpha transparency of the pixels in the ship's image. Your total number of pixels > 0.5 alpha determines your "total armor area." Each pixel is grouped into a larger grid of armor, with each grid section tracking its own armor value.

All you'll accomplish with overlapping bounds is potentially double-hitting (though I doubt that's possible either).

Slight correction - there are actually armor "cells" outside the ship bounds, you just can't see them. So, it's not per-pixel based, just based on the grid. Each hit damages 21 cells around the hit location, like so:

OOO
OOOOO
OOXOO
OOOOO
 OOO

Where the 'X' is the location of the impact - based on the ship's bounds. A weighted average of the armor in these cells is used to determine the "effective armor rating" which then mitigates the damage dealt.

Deathven

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 06:50:14 AM »

I'm not sure I agree with that philosophy in regards to how it applies to this game. So much in battle control is taken out of your hands, it seems natural to me to help make up for that by imposing a high degree of OUT of battle control.

That said, locational armor doesn't seem like the kind of 'polishing' I like. Better boarding is always good though, as long as it doesn't happen in the battle because that suggestion needs to die. We're in spaceships people, not an 18th century galley.

We could pretend we are on a 18th century galley...  :-[

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »

Leave that to the mods.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »

Point taken. Okay, more polishing blade, less tacking together lumps of metal and sticking aforementioned lumps onto a properly forged blade in the hopes of improving things.

Deathven

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:50 AM »

Leave that to the mods.

If there is a mod that would have 18th century galleys, I would SO download that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]